Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Greetings, from BC, Canada 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    So passed my test a month or so ago and got bored of riding my scoot around while I work on my ZX600 project, so I traded my scoot for a 250CC enduro.

It's a Saga 250, one of only 2 chinabikes that actually go through the whole process to become properly road legal in Canada.

Brought it home and proceeded to strip it down to the frame and engine in my driveway and put it all back together with new bolts and locktite. Fixed a few wiring issues so the headlight would work (kinda) etc.
    Put a proper plug in it and raised the needle a notch so it would run OK.
    Also threw a Honda sprocket on the back with 10 less teeth and shortened the chain.
    What else, oh ya threw on a set if bar end mirrors, and took all the stickers and rack off.

Couple of things need to be addressed ASAP, the Acerbis Dimension headlight plain sucks, a candle would be better. It used a 35w incandescent bulb of a type I don’t recognize, I either need to do a Halogen conversion somehow or just get a better light.

The tires also suck really bad, I want to try and pick up an 18" rim and have it laced to the front, and get Some Kenda Challengers on there.

Also obviously want to get some more power out of it so a Pod filter, jets and a gutted/new exhaust will be on the agenda.

On the plus side it's really light and seems to shift ok, should be OK for a commuter/plaything for the winter. Don’t really want to spend much on it.
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Greetings, from BC, Canada 
    Hi and welcome! Congrats on passing your test, looking forward to reading about the mods you make, you sound handy with a spanner! Question, what does raising the needle up a notch do?

3. #3 Re: Greetings, from BC, Canada 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Raising the needle will make the mixture a lttle richer at low RPM's, I did some plug chops and found it was a running a little lean at low RPM's.

I am resonably handy, but all my of 2 wheeled experience has been with 2-stroke dirt bikes and scooters.

4. #4 Re: Greetings, from BC, Canada 
    Ok Thanks! Carburetors are a big mystery to me, i'm scared to touch anything besides the idling screw...

5. #5 Re: Greetings, from BC, Canada 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    No problem my friend, I used to be the same way but once you actually start playing around with things and can see the results of changes it all becomes clear.

6. #6 Re: Greetings, from BC, Canada 
    C-Moto Noob
    welcome. Good to see a fellow British Columbian here. BC is a really great place to own a dualsport, I used to own a Loncin PY250 and I loved that thing for booting around town, and I'd take it into the hills every weekend and it was great.

if you plan on riding on the street though, just be careful, BC drivers arent that great at spotting motorcyclists.

7. #7 Re: Greetings, from BC, Canada 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi mate, yea I'm on the island, definately have to watchout for the senior citizens!
    My dailey driver for the llast 3-4 years has been a scooter so I'm very used to be defensive!

I'm told there are more logging roads than paved here on the island and I'm looking foward to exploring some of them.