Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like mentioned earlier, this rule wouldn't have any negative effect on what anyone on this board would be trying to accomplish in the Takl Rally and actually makes it better.

But just because it doesn't suit our purposes or needs doesn't mean it's good for everyone on the planet and someone may surly care if they want to. I'd personally be happy just to finish the race and no one here is a serious enduro racer so it's not about the winning. Consider the potential of the race beyond our immediate scope of interests for a minute guys.

XinJiang and Qinghai have enough bad roads an damazing scenery to be a strong contender against the highly debated cancellation of the Dakar Rally. Both of them have tremendously huge desert areas and the Taklamakan is the world's second largest sandy desert next to the Sahara.

Since we've lived in China, we're already used to these kinds of exclusive policies. Nevertheless rules like that don't exactly promote international competition and will:

1) Limit the exposure/respect China's racing receives in the rest of the world and...
    2) Limit the exposure China's own racers have to meet and gauge themselves against current international racing standards

The point is closing doors doesn't really end up working in the long run. If the rally is just for fun, then why not call it "The Taklamakan Fun Rally".

Don't mistake this for complaining either. If a foreigner wants to really race in China, there's always the "Transorientale" which starts June 12 and runs form St.Petersburg to Beijing but it's organized by a dude from France and is not a purely China hosted race.

The Transoriental, by the way, has different categories of competition ranging from "Marathon Rally" (serious) to "Discovery" (casual) which at least sounds more friendly than "foreigner" and "Chinese citizen=official participant". It's all about presentation.

It would be good to hear some first person experience from the foreigner dude who entered this years Takl Rally. Does he have a blog or thread of his experiences anywhere? Hmmm...

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

The guy is Torben Vester, a Danish and he has a blog in danish.

http://www.statravelblogs.com/morfar/albums/

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I would really love to do this rally next year. As you can see from the pics here ( http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ted=1#post1503 ) that you can take this rally as seriously (read: screaming fast with throttle on fire XTR250F) or as casual (read: cruising along on a Jialing 125L) as you like.

I think the most important part would be the camaraderie and the fun of riding in the desert with some cool competitors - at a FRACTION of the cost of doing the Dakar.

Even if you had to buy a bike, I still think the total costs for doing this rally could be only a few thousand USD max.

So we have here a new volunteer to join the asylum (I mean the project).
    Last edited by Brice; 05-29-2008 at 02:41 AM. Reason: 205

I would be very interested in doing this Rally and i will be in Xinjiang although the other end of Xinjiang,I wonder if they will give me time off work when I have not even started yet:blink:

Coming from a moto-x and Enduro race background I would want to race it not follow them.Would they be upset if I turned up on a full race bike.:thumbup:

The Paris - Dakar rally raid are looking at holding there event in South America next year.

Xinjiang and surrounding countries would be ideal to hold this event but could they work with the Chinese bureaucrats?

It costs a lot of money to ride the Paris-Dakar rally and they make it unbelievably hard to finish certain sections let alone the Rally.That said there is no shortage of European and Japaneses privateers entering.

plz point out my mistake ChinaKnight's Avatar
    The around tklm rally company is just a four years old kid

but they want make the rally as the daker of east..

and i think all the problems will be solved step by step

the foreign bikers will stand the same startline with chinese bikers

Hi guys.
    I just learned of this post in Advrider and will follow it very closely.
    I have been wanting to ride in China and wouldn't this be a phenominal opportunity to do it with no real "obligations" meaning they really don't reckognize foreign riders so, the proverbial pressure would be off. Just a group of guys in the "big show"
    I am SO GAME for this!
    Where would we get bikes from?

Tom,

Welcome to the board! If it was done privately you could come to China, buy a bike from somewhere and then either ride it or have it shipped to the race starting point.

The more I think about this, the better it gets.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Since the idea has been launched only few days ago, there is not even a beginning of organization or whatsoever.

Today people are declaring themselves as willing participants, riders from previous editions are showing up.

2009 Edition schedule is not yet defined but Torben, the mighty viking, said it could be in September (instead of April) to avoid sand storms.

For the coming weeks, we are expecting to collect more information from the rally organization, get more intents of participation and certainly get in touch with local people and manufacturers that can help to build a "package" for the team.

Regarding the bikes, we will use Chinese production (200/250cc). An agreement with one or many manufacturers could provide not only the bikes (prepared for the rally) but also the mandatory assistance on site.

The overall cost (entry fees, bike, rally assistance, 2/3 weeks in Xinjiang) is not known but compare to an African rally it should be by far lower. Ideally it should fit in a $3000 (20000RMB) budget.

I wondering if we could get in contact with the oragnizers of the event and have them post on the site...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast