Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfar View Post
    Hi.
    Welcome to John.
    I just got the information that next years rally will be in September - date is not finally fixed yet.
    I hope it will be end of September .- so I have a chance to join the SSER rally in Mongolia - starting in beginning af August.
    I got my new KTM 530 exc - but it's still in Denmark...;-(
    BR
    Torben
    A little bird told me that it will be close to end of Sep. 2009

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Any of you guys still plan on riding the rally this year?

That's a great question! There was some strong interest in this a few months back but people sometimes change their minds you know.

So let's get an update on who's still SERIOUS committed to riding in the Takl Desert Rally? I am still willing to work on some sponsorship options but need to know how many people are TRULY willing to set aside the time and resources for this race.

Keep in mind that sponsorship is not certain and you'd have to be willing to fund the expense of the race out of pocket if need be. Maybe some of the previous Takl Rally riders can tell us how much it costs?

I myself would be covering it photographically so would be working more on the press side of things for the web-site and such. Hell, someone has to get pics of you bastards falling on your asses!

So, whooz in? ROLL CALL!

CC

- This thread is getting moved to the Racing section and stickied -
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

I would have volunteering for a rally in Spring like last year but in September I'll be back in France after 4 years.

This is why also I did my 5 weeks tour in November because it was the last opportunity for me to ride extensively in China.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    CrazyCarl: could you give me some more detailed info about entering the rally? Things like entry requirements; costs; own bike or some sort of factory sponsorship - unlikely I know. I may be interested, but need a lot more details; and as you seem to be the main man around here, I guess your the man to ask. Thanks

The cost of joining depends on what status you enter under. I've checked their web page but haven't found any real info on cost or set dates. Like so many things there I'm guessing it will be put together in a "last minute" kind of way. If anyone has info about this otherwise please let us know.

Takl Rally site
    http://www.atr123.com/english/Introd...0709/1301.html

Franki was just talking with the folks who organize the rally not but a couple months ago. Maybe he can offer some opinions? Morfar was a contestant last year and maybe he can offer some more advice on what a rider can expect.

Getting sponsored bikes may not be as hard as you think. I'm more worried about finding SERIOUSLY dedicated riders. The LAST thing I want to do is engage in a project this complicated and have some jack-ass come back to me last minute and say, "Oh my wife doesn't want me to go so I'm bailing like a spineless girly-man."

Before I can make any kind of proposal to any company they are rightly going to want to know what;s involved on our end. I expect people would have to be willing to do the usual like take photos, but maybe even speak on occasion for the company or something along those lines. This is not like a free, paid vacation. People are going to sweat, cry, break bones, need medical assistance and all the other stuff associated with these kinds of rallys. The Taklamakan Desert is no bull-shit.

Although I, and everyone else, want this to be a fun event it will still be for only the most serious of participants. If someone says to me "I'm in" then that should mean they're ready to tell the wife, kids, boss, whoever "Hey, come September I'm out of here for three weeks. Put it in your books. I have to ride."

CC

P.S. - Jimbo should do it in a CHANG!

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the link CC; I have emailed them. You never know, I may get a reply!

I had/have every intention of riding this rally but as of yesterday my offer of employment looks very much like it has been pulled and i sold my bike here and the season starts in 4 weeks here.

So now I'm up in the air on what to do.

I had spoke to loujia Highland about entering there bikes and they seemed keen to offer some form of support but as I'm discovering what is promised and what actually happens is most often two different things in China.

I would suggest that you will need to study to learn a road book as although it looks like alot of the Chinese entrants don't use it I would not like to be relying on following the Chinese around to get me to the end.Not to mention the safety aspects.

C-Moto Regular
    Hi boys.
    Happy New Year to all of you.
    I'm happy to see some interest for the next rally in September.
    We have already start to plan here in Beijing.
    It seems that we will be between 10 to 15 motorcycles from here - but lets se how many jump off before the deadline...... ??
    But anyway, I am going again and are setting up a team with 2 to 4 riders.
    Team Morfar will be back... stronger than ever.......he,he
    Consirning roadbook: dont worry - the cars are starting first, so in fact just follow the track....but a GPS is a must - if you get lost in the desert.
    I also bring a satelite phone again, so I can call somebody (in case of broken bones...:-), speaking somethingelse than Chinese.
    I dont know the entrance fee for this year - but I think we payed 5000 rmb last year. I will guess that you can this a rally for around 20.000 rmb/person - if you already have the bike, spareparts and gear.
    Just feel free to ask - I am happy to help.
    Best regards
    Torben
    Torben Vester - "Morfar"
    KTM 530 EXC-R -08
    KTM 625 SXC - 04
    Honda Transalp XL600V
    Suzuki RMX 250

Torben,

Thanks for checking in. I hope everything's going well in your neck of the woods.

Are there any special suggestions you would give someone who's considering to enter the race? - As in cultural, race organization, personal mental preparation?

Also, I'm personally interested in what was your impression of the press/media there? How did they get around? Was the coverage sufficient?

I know this is a lot of questions but it might encourage some who are on the fence.

CC

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast