Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Scooter licensing in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all, this is my first post.

I have a gas-powered Geely Da Gui Wang scooter, purchased October 2009, papers and compliance plate states engine capacity at 49.6cc.

I live within the Inner Ring Road of Shanghai (in Changning district).

Can I get blue plates for this bike? What about 3rd party insurance? How much will the plates cost, and how do I apply for them?

I have read elsewhere that the Shanghai Traffic Bureau is no longer issuing any plates for gas scooters/bikes within the Inner Ring Road. True? If so, could I get the scooter registered under my girlfriend's name? (She lives in Baoshan, outside the inner ring road).

Greatly appreciate any help.

2. #2 Re: Scooter licensing in Shanghai 
    Not sure about under 50cc and the blue plate. But it's true, Shanghai isn't issuing any new plates HOWEVER, you can buy plates. I believe blue "Hu A" are running 20 for inner ring however they are not transferrable to cars. Yellow "Hu A" are. If you do get plates under your girlfriend's name she can only get outer ring plates at which point if you get caught within the inner ring you may get fined and/or towed. You may not be able to get gas at some gas stations.

Here's a good place for other info:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ctric-scooters)

and some related posts:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...hlight=license

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...hlight=license

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...se-in-Shanghai

3. #3 Re: Scooter licensing in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Appreciate the quick reply and links, Wrangler. I've looked through them all but alas, still have some questions.

You say that blue Hu A plates are "running 20 for inner ring". What actually is an "A" plate? (OK, it has an "A" in it.) Is that a plate which allows its bearer to ride/fill up within the inner ring road?

By 20, do you mean RMB20,000? Is the general trend for the cost of these plates up or down? I'd be happy to sink 20K into a plate if it means I become 100% legal with 3rd party insurance, and can sell the plate down the track without losing too much money.

Finally, what's the next step? How do I get one of these blue "A" plates?

Many thanks.

4. #4 Re: Scooter licensing in Shanghai 
    Here's a summary of the plate system as I understand it:

Yellow "Hu A" - Over 50cc, ride any in Shanghai, 41-44k, exchangeable with automobile plate
    Yellow "Hu C" - Over 50cc, ride any in Shanghai, EXCEPT Inner Ring, 20k, non-exchangeable
    Blue "Hu A" - 50cc, ride any in Shanghai- 20 or 10k?, not sure, non-exchangeable
    Blue "Hu C" - 50cc, ride any in Shanghai, EXCEPT Inner Ring, not sure on price, non-exchangeable

To get the plates you should try to contact some motorcycle/scooter dealerships. They my offer this service. I got my yellow "hu A" plate through a dealer for a new bike so I don't know how to get one for a used one. Here are the requirements for the plate as I understand it:

1. Eu3 emission standard
    2. Less than 1 month old fapiao with name of person who the bike is to be registered to.
    3. Residence Permit/Shanghai Hukou with address in corresponding area you want the license for (so if your girlfriend is in Baoshan and you are registering under her name, you won't be able to get a plate for inner ring. Only outside of inner ring.
    4. Pay the registration fees, and 10% tax, and if you need a new fa piao issued, 17% VAT.

There is a place on the way to Pudong airport someone took me to. They sell Piagio Scooter and Honda Bikes. I think they are next to a Lotus supermarket. The guy there told me they would be able to get any plate I wanted, for a price. Sorry can't provide a number. Maybe someone on the forum knows what I'm talking about.

If you are just getting a plate for a 50cc bike and you don't have any emotional attachment to it, maybe it's just better to spend the money on an E-bike... =)

5. #5 Re: Scooter licensing in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Wrangler, I appreciate your reply.

I really do want to get a genuine blue plate, as I wish to carry genuine 3rd-party insurance. It seems there are two options:

1. Register in my name for my area (Changning, within Inner Ring Road) - preferred
    2. Register under GF's name for Baoshan.

Either way, I would start by going back to the shop I bought the bike from and getting a fa piao from them. (Probably have to pay them some extra money.) Maybe they can arrange the plate for me too, but assuming they can't, does anyone know where I would go? Like, an actual government office? HELP!!