Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob Bart Sanders's Avatar
    Hello all,

(I am new to this forum, please read my "Hello, there" posting in the Welcome forum).

From a reliable source I have the information that the Jialing JH600B has a steering sidecarwheel. Indeed, if one looks into the parts manual the steering head of the sidecarwheel-axle can be seen, so as the bowden control cables which are governed by the usual steeringbar via a disc bolted on to the steering head axle and holding the ends of the two bowden cables.

My questions now:
    - Does anybody know this construction?
    - How does it perform? The main reason I guess is to have a more smooth behaviour in corners when the sidecarwheel assists when making the turn.
    - How big is the turning angle roughly of the sidecar wheel?

This seems to be a quite innovative construction and I do know various sidecar constructions quite well. So, this really intrigues me!

Best regards,

Bart Sanders

2. #2 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    welcome Bart!
    in this forum is a member: Lao Jia Hou (aka Richard) he owns one; here are also some threads about JH600 and in one of them you can find technical answers also for JH600B.
    yes, it has a steering sidecar wheel and it looks funny when it moves. (maybe 10-15 Grad angel movement)
    next time I see the bike, I will make some Photos and Video takes for you.
    how to ride it? I dont know, send a PM to Lao Jia Hou and he will answer soon.
    I have visited your website and it looks pretty cold when riding in snow. here we are more lucky with the weather, winter will be cold but barely snow.
    mit lieben Gruessen in die Niederlande!
    Sabine

3. #3 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Bart,

Another MCM member with tons of JH600B experience is nostalgie, aka Shanghai Daniel.

The Chinese forums are filled with 600B riders, reflecting a seeming preference among many Chinese for the stability and visibility of a sidecar when it comes to larger displacement bikes. If you search those forums with the Chrome browser, you get an auto-translate function that works rather well.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    Coucou Bart,
    hello! the steering sidecar wheel + the synchronous sicecar disc brakes + the smooth reverse are the 3 funny characters of JH600B.

It turns right during you drive to right; it turns left when you begin to drive to left; but it turns right when you continue to drive to left with a big angle.

it will help you to trun right easily, without moving your body to right, nor any body moving action of your sidecar passenger. which is a must for CJ750. so JH600B can turn right with a high speed quickly and safetely. it will help you to turn left with a little angle too, faster and easily.

but it will make you harder to turn left with a large angle, as the sidecar whell will trun right. but this will help you to turn left safetly without a turn over. why? just think about the weight between two side and demonstrate it.

i am the only guy have once turned my JH600B over in china, it was by left, as the corner is too sharp and the speed is too high for my friend(he's a great rider of CJ750). my sidecar-side was down with 50% deformed by the metalic railing on the road, and the motorcycle-side was upper. so strange accident, isn't it? fortunately me with my friend can still drive our faverate motor today.

and once i've seen a piece of stone which was about a basket ball size in the middle of high-way at evening close to my eye, i did the turn left and right movement in only 1 second with a 110km+ speed safely. the sidecar-side just raised a very little, Hooo, saved my life!

5. #5 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    IMG00029-20100807-1042.jpgA guy has one here in Nanjing and loves it. I have not ridden it but I have the 2 wheel version of the JH600 and it is a pretty good ride.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

6. #6 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob Bart Sanders's Avatar
    The Chinese forums are filled with 600B riders, reflecting a seeming preference among many Chinese for the stability and visibility of a sidecar when it comes to larger displacement bikes. If you search those forums with the Chrome browser, you get an auto-translate function that works rather well.\
    Thanks for your reference! Not knowing how to find these chinese fora, do you have a couple of links?

Regards!

Bart

7. #7 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello Guys, Can anyone tell me if there is a US importer/ distributor for the JH600B? Has it passed EPA/DOT? I'd like to get my hands on a bunch of them.

Thanks, Peej

8. #8 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    ???or perhaps Canadian?

9. #9 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hello gpPeej,

I've not heard of any exports of the Jialing JH600 or JH600B to north America, though this does not mean there have not been isolated cases.

Franki might have a better idea, as he's spent a lot of time with the Jialing management.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Jialing JH600B: anybody knows / seen the steering sidecarwheel? 
    C-Moto Senior
    [Hi Bart, I've heard of you from the CJ forums. I have a customer with a JH600B and have spoent quite a bit of time riding it. In my opinion a CJ handles way better than the JH. The JH is tall and "tippy" whereas th CJ is low and stiffly sprung. And for the life of me I cannot understand the thought process that went behind the right only turn steerable sidecar wheel. I can just as easily lift the sidecar wheel as any tall softly sprung sidecar rig. There also seems to be some EWCU problems with the bike causing it to stall out at the most inopportune times (like crossing a busy intersection). If it was way cheaper I might see owning one to try and fix it into a real adventure sidecar, but here in Beijing a legal one is about RMB 50K.
    Oh, welcome to this forum.
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com
    QUOTE=Bart Sanders;17859]Hello all,

(I am new to this forum, please read my "Hello, there" posting in the Welcome forum).

From a reliable source I have the information that the Jialing JH600B has a steering sidecarwheel. Indeed, if one looks into the parts manual the steering head of the sidecarwheel-axle can be seen, so as the bowden control cables which are governed by the usual steeringbar via a disc bolted on to the steering head axle and holding the ends of the two bowden cables.

My questions now:
    - Does anybody know this construction?
    - How does it perform? The main reason I guess is to have a more smooth behaviour in corners when the sidecarwheel assists when making the turn.
    - How big is the turning angle roughly of the sidecar wheel?

This seems to be a quite innovative construction and I do know various sidecar constructions quite well. So, this really intrigues me!

Best regards,

Bart Sanders[/QUOTE]