Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Finally got a bike in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello all, I'm Mike in Shanghai. Been in China for about 12 years and finally got something motorized. Looked at the pricy Ducati's and stolen imported stuff, but didn't feel like ending up under a newbie cage driver's wheels or going to jail. Purchased a second hand FYM/Sachs Madass 125. Feels kinda underpowered after my BMW K1200RS overseas. Well, at least I can hide in the bicycle traffic and have a slight chance of talking my way out of any police stops. That is, if I can find a place that will sell me gas. Any tips?

Reading through the forums, lots of good info. Thanks for contributing and I hope to do the same.

2. #2 Re: Finally got a bike in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome, Mike. Is this Madass one of the two that another MCM member was flogging a couple of weeks back? What did you do about plates? Would be great if you could update us on your experience making it legal (assuming of course that you made it legal...).

where are you living and what on earth has kept you in china for a full lunar cycle?

Honestly, you really sense a horsepower difference between the Madass and the beemer?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Finally got a bike in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by SHMike View Post
    ... Sachs Madass 125. Feels kinda underpowered after my BMW K1200RS overseas. ...

I think that everything is over powered for Shanghai roads.

Welcome to the site
    Andy

4. #4 Re: Finally got a bike in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Err...I'm in the process of getting plates. How's that? May take me a few months/years. But I do have proper car and moto license.

No, purchased off a seperate ad. Am talking with the MCM member about his bikes and plates though.

The Madass is convenient and actually handles quite well. Guess I'm not used to the lack of torque or it just feels first is geared too high. Second through fourth are fine and can hit silly speeds for such a small bike. For some reason I don't feel safe on it though. With big bikes I'll ride with the cars and force a safety zone around myself. On a bicycle I feel very nimble and can dodge stopped/slower vehicles. With the scooter, not nimble enough and don't dare to ride with the cars. Will see if I get used to it after a while.

Never really enjoyed biking in cities. Did some cross country tours on the K12 and loved the country highways. Big bikes in cities are a waste...overpowered, stop and go traffic, aggressive drivers, etc. Did a bicycle ride out to hangzhou recently and came across some nice cruising roads. That and the serious butt pain convinced me to get something motorized.

I unfortunatly live in Jingan. Thinking about getting a small garage/workspace in Minghang and stashing the bikes, toys, and tools out there.

5. #5 Re: Finally got a bike in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by SHMike View Post
    Thinking about getting a small garage/workspace in Minghang and stashing the bikes, toys, and tools out there.
    Hi! I had some vague thoughts of doing the same. You got any figures? Would you consider sharing one even? I've only been in shanghai a week and i already miss my garage...