Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: hand job

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 hand job 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    yeah, got your attention!

this will be my first winter riding my JH600 in Shanghai, and I'm thinking two things will help keep my hands warm: aftermarket handwarmer grips and hand guards. I'm looking for good products that I can obtain here inside China. Any suggestions?

I know nothing at all about hand warmers. I'd like something that's relatively straightforward to install, and won't electrocute me when it rains.

As for hand guards, apart from just blocking the wind, I'd like something tough that will protect my levers when I drop the bike (not that I'd ever do that). I really like the Barkbuster Storm4 from Rideworx in Australia, which have a strong aluminium backbone, but with shipping and a mounting kit they are A$149. Ouch.

Anything similar here inside the firewall?

thanks in advance!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #2 Re: hand job 
    There are "Acerbis" knock offs on Taobao for roughly 80 RMB + 30 RMB for extensions.

Unfortunately, it's a total crapshoot which kind of mounting hardware you will get. I have purchased several sets, and there are 3 different kinds of mounting hardware. I have no idea which mounts work on a JH600.

These handguards are great, and you can add the extended shields for cold weather. I'm using them on my Galaxy and QingQi after trying a half dozen different models I purchased at the Guangzhou motorcycle market. I also see they have another kind for the JH600 without the aluminum support.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: hand job 
    This is how to do it!

摩托车护套.JPG

4. #4 Re: hand job 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Yeah, these are selling like hotcakes right now on taobao. under 30 rmb for the set. i've even seen at least one that doesn't carry advertising!

alas, these will not protect your levers in a fall, however.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: hand job 
    Also it can be hard to get big gloves into those so your hands may not be protected in a fall either.

I tried them a couple of years ago and they weren't even very warm...

6. #6 Re: hand job 
    Just found this on Taibao:
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4494671893

See that lovely JH600 in the sample picture? I have confirmed with the merchant that the mounting hardware for JH600 is indeed available. However, there is an one-week wait for color black. If you are willing to pay 15RMB extra for the "Carbon Fibre Look", you can have it now.

I will wait for the black set.

7. #7 Re: hand job 
    By the way, the clutch lever would cost you 75RMB from Jialing.
    If that Acerbis knock off works on JH600, it is definitely the thing to get, considering the wind protection and reduced risk of getting stranded in nowhere due to broken lever.

8. #8 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Just found this on Taibao:
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4494671893

See that lovely JH600 in the sample picture? I have confirmed with the merchant that the mounting hardware for JH600 is indeed available. However, there is an one-week wait for color black. If you are willing to pay 15RMB extra for the "Carbon Fibre Look", you can have it now.

I will wait for the black set.
    I have those, they're good for about one fall and bend very easy. The inserts that go into the handlebars don't work well and actually increase vibration. YMMV.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #9 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I have those, they're good for about one fall and bend very easy. The inserts that go into the handlebars don't work well and actually increase vibration. YMMV.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    I hope we don't take that many falls. Knock on wood. Is it the same one you described in your first reply to this post as "great" handguards? It does not sound as "great" now. :-)I have been having problems with JH600 sidestand, which is not very stable and quite sensitive to slope. Now I make sure it is always in gear when the sidestand is used. The handguards should make me feel even safer.

10. #10 Re: hand job 
    Hi Milton,

Let's hope it always remains upright

The handguards you show in your post are not the same as the ones I show. The ones that I feel are "great" are straight horizontally, and only bend to go around the controls. The ones you linked, have a very deep bend and this is where they are weak.

I slammed my XTR to ground and sent it over a bridge... the handguards were scratched but protected everything. My neighbor with the TGR (115 kilo bike, unlike your 200+ kilo JH600) purchased the style you linked to and they were bent after the first light tip over in the dirt.

If you really like those black ones, PM your address and I will send you a set for free. They're sitting in my garage with umpteen other ones that I have tried and didn't like.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast