Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: hand job 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Milton,

They do indeed look nice on that JH600!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Milton,

They do indeed look nice on that JH600!
    </p>
    Read ChinaV's last post in this thread. The one I quoted is not the one he recommended. I am about to order a set, the handguards plus the wind blocks, as recommended by ChinaV. 80+30RMB

3. #13 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Hi Milton,

If you really like those black ones, PM your address and I will send you a set for free. They're sitting in my garage with umpteen other ones that I have tried and didn't like.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Many thanks for the offer, but I've decided on the same set you recommended in your first post, the handguards plus the wind blocker. Euphonius and I each ordered a set.
    Cheers!

4. #14 Re: hand job 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    The handlebar-mits that someone posted about, are ok, but the problem is that they are often too small especially for foreign hands, and when one adds in gloves it can be downright dangerous, as the fit is too tight. I've several sets, and have tried to get as larger size as possible which are ok if I don't wear gloves (which I'm not comfortable not having gloves on my hands) or very thin gloves then it is reasonable. Thick gloves, forget it, just too tight. The protection from the elements is okay though in my experience. Myself and a mate would like to get ourselves a few pairs of the handguards that have been pictured in this post, so the taobao link is really useful. Problem for fitting these hand guards can be a problem though on covered handle bars, like scooters etc. Haven't found anything that can accommodate unexposed handlebars.

5. #15 Re: hand job 
    Dear Euphonius,

You must be wondering what has happened to my our handguards project. Well, just about the time that I planned to call you about going to that Dr. Cui's shop in Pudong, my JH600 died on me. It just wouldn't fire. 刘志东 suggested to first have the battery replaced, which I did but to no avail. Now I have a brand new battery, said to be made by the same factory that also supplies to BMW, and a dead JH600.

刘志东 has promised to come over this afternoon, with Xiao Fan, to see what needs be done. He listed a number of possibilites that could have gone wrong with my bike, including the one Nostalgia described in his post, for which the engine must be opened up for the repair.

I guess I need to at least get the JH600 revived before I can attend to the handguards issues. I will keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Milton

6. #16 Re: hand job 
    Sorry to hear about this, Milton, and good luck getting her fired up. You check all the fuses and connections? Hope it's something that simple.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #17 Re: hand job 
    Sorry to hear about this, Milton, and good luck getting her fired up. You check all the fuses and connections? Hope it's something that simple.

cheers
    All fuses and connections seem to be in order, as far as I know how to check. 刘志东wants to replace some "variable speed sensor" first, which is basically a wire, as at least one other JH600 in Shanghai had a faulty one. The problem that Nostalgia described happened to at least 2 JH600Bs already in Shanghai. God knows how many other possible bad parts are in our JH600. I guess I will find out this afternoon.

8. #18 Re: hand job 
    OMG!

With apologies to Helen Keller, this feels like motorcycle maintenance by Braille. There are now at least a dozen JH600s here in Shanghai, if you count the sidecars. It's really time for Liu and Fan to raise their game. I haven't been there in a while, but somehow I cannot imagine that Fan has cleared out and organized his shop as he's been promising, much less installed electric lights. Perhaps we should all turn up the pressure a bit, or start taking our business out to Pudong or elsewhere.

Your bike is practically brand new. There's got to be a simple explanation. I see this pattern all the time in Chinese hospitals: The doctorgods mutter all kinds of scary scenarios just to cover their arsches, then they can play the hero when it's just a touch of 'flu or a hangnail. It's all a strategy for covering up their basic incompetence.

groan.
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #19 Re: hand job 
    Wonder if the JH600's that go to the military are of the same quality . Wonder what kind of failure rate those folks are having.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #20 Re: hand job 
    OMG!

With apologies to Helen Keller, this feels like motorcycle maintenance by Braille.....
    It is clear that 刘志东 and Xiao Fan both are not that experienced in working on JH600. Having said that, I do think our JH600 is inherently unreliable. It is basically a BETA version of a vehicle, with many problems reported without much action from the Chongqing factory. The number one problem is the inferior or inconsistent quality of the parts. 刘志东 actually suggested we replace our battery, chain, and spart plug on day one when the bike is first delivered, or carry those parts in our luggage whenever we need to make a trip. Then you have that chain guide problem (that Motorkai had), which is something reported numerous times in some forums. My front break has become uneven only after 3km, which is again a popular problem.

Then there is that ECU thing. Almost all modern day automobiles are fuel-injected, but none of them rides like that in our JH600, which stalls frequently and is highly sensitive to quality of gas. I knew about such problems before I made the purchase but never in a million year was I to think it is that bad. Such an ECU should have never rolled off the assembly line. It is a BETA, not up to the prime time. (刘志东 mentioned to me that finally Jialing is working with Bosch on the ECU upgrade, but was told that the JH600 design is faulty and will never work well with Bosch's fuel injector unless the design is overhauled. This is probalby why the latest ECU has not come out yet.)

JH600 is a fun bike to ride as long as it starts up and runs. Any problems on the road are likely to get you stranded, as the parts are difficult to get and the ECU is not something the roadside repair shop is equipped to work on.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast