Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: hand job

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: hand job 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Hi Milton,

you mentioned before the JH600 rolls off the side-stand sometimes. Now it doesn't start anymore. Did you check the side-stand switch? BMW's have the same problem. These switches do break, then the bike doesn't start anymore. Simple solution - short circuit it...

Sorry Euphonius - this went a bit off-topic to your hand-guard post. Some wind and water protection as mentioned here is helpful. In general the bigger the better. The guards I have installed on my JH600 do not give a lot of weather protection. The only thing, which really helps are those "bags" to put over the handle bar - in Germany we can buy real tough and large ones... the other thing you should consider is to install grip heaters. This is the real deal... I even installed a heater in the seat of my wife's GS - she loves it!

Good to see you are back. Will you stay in Shanghai now for some time? Still have something sitting on my shelf for you...

Cheers,
    AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

2. #22 Re: hand job 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Did you check the side-stand switch? BMW's have the same problem. These switches do break, then the bike doesn't start anymore. Simple solution - short circuit it...
    Pfaelzer, that's an excellent suggestion. I've had that problem myself, and numerous times. I've been thinking of bypassing the JH600 sidestand switch. It caused me many moments of panic in the field. I want to be able to start the engine whether the stand is up or down. In my case, I had to let the stand snap up very hard to ensure the circuit closed. Seems it's easy for crud to get into the contacts. If the circuit doesn't close, bike won't start.

Sorry Euphonius - this went a bit off-topic to your hand-guard post. Some wind and water protection as mentioned here is helpful. In general the bigger the better. The guards I have installed on my JH600 do not give a lot of weather protection. The only thing, which really helps are those "bags" to put over the handle bar - in Germany we can buy real tough and large ones... the other thing you should consider is to install grip heaters. This is the real deal... I even installed a heater in the seat of my wife's GS - she loves it!
    In English those bags are called pogies. i remember seeing them in "west" germany way back in the 1970s. they are everywhere here, of course, but not big enough to fit our bikes and big gloved hands, though these could easily be custom made for almost nothing.

In any case, I'm not out riding yet, and may not be able to for several more months while my shoulder heals. Still need another procedure to get this metal plate out, but need sufficient bone healing first.

Good to see you are back. Will you stay in Shanghai now for some time? Still have something sitting on my shelf for you...
    I'm traveling a bit, but here in Shanghai all this week. Early Christmas??

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #23 Re: hand job 
    Ignore this one. See below post.
    Last edited by milton; 12-16-2010 at 07:59 AM.

4. #24 Re: hand job 
    (Do it again. Learning how to post pictures. Bear with me please.)
    OK. Finally got aroud to post some pictures of the hnadguards installed on my JH600. Although the Taobao vendor swore up and down that those handguards offered were made for JH600, the actual installation took a bit of cutting/sanding/fitting. I went to that shop in Pudong recommended by Nostalgia for the job and was very happy about their service.
    This is how it looks from the front:

And from the back:

I was afraid of the additional weight this set would add to my already heavy bike. Fortunately these guards replace those 2 end pieces originally came with the bike, which are quite heavy themselves. So the net increase of weight was not all that bad. By the way, the wind blockers, although small, were effective.

The attachment to the handle bar sits at a funny angle against the handguard:

Cheers.

Milton
    Last edited by milton; 12-19-2010 at 03:43 AM.

5. #25 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    ...Milton
    photo.163.com don't support hotlinking

6. #26 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    photo.163.com don't support hotlinking
    Sorry, a bit confused here. What is the consequence of its not supporting hotlinking? I seem to have got my picture up from 163.

7. #27 Re: hand job 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Sorry, a bit confused here. What is the consequence of its not supporting hotlinking? I seem to have got my picture up from 163.
    photos are not working for me...

8. #28 Re: hand job 
    Neither for me...

9. #29 Re: hand job 
    Hello Euphonius, I finally found a home for those pictures of my "hand job". Although the hand job was done quickly (and embarassingly :-)), finding a way to post the pictures of decent size took a while. I just linked them to the attachments for my other post published in www.motorfans.com.cn. They seem to work. Ok, here they are, 3 pictures of my hand job: my JH600 in her birthday suit with nothing but a pair of hand guards on.

10. #30 Re: hand job 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Milton, success! At first I didn't understand, but now I see your images appear very nicely in THIS PREVIOUS POSTING in this thread.

Perhaps the reason your installation was problematic was that your bars are aluminum and oversized. Mine are standard 7/8-inch steel.

Hand job indeed!
    Last edited by euphonius; 12-19-2010 at 05:32 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast