Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: hand job

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: hand job 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    There are "Acerbis" knock offs on Taobao for roughly 80 RMB + 30 RMB for extensions.

These handguards are great, and you can add the extended shields for cold weather. I'm using them on my Galaxy and QingQi after trying a half dozen different models I purchased at the Guangzhou motorcycle market. I also see they have another kind for the JH600 without the aluminum support.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    OK I can not find a good translator for that page. I want those pictured with the extended shields. Can someone direct me to a translator?

2. #32 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    OK I can not find a good translator for that page. I want those pictured with the extended shields. Can someone direct me to a translator?
    Google did translate it as good as it can get and there is the Zhongwen plugin (mouse over Chinese characters) for FF and Chrome.
    Andy

3. #33 Re: hand job 
    Well I'm glad your hand-job had a happy ending!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #34 Re: hand job 
    Yes, here's to happy endings

Couple of questions and observations:

Euphonius: How can you tell those bars are not 7/8"? They look like stock bars in stock clamps.

Milton: The aluminium clamp on the handlebar is the wrong one for your kind of handlebar, these are a better fit and use a plastic bushing which helps with vibration.

The handlebars should be drilled first, most of them have an inner diameter that is too small for the inserts.

Everything should fit together tight and not have a large gap at the end of the bar where it meets the grip.

None of the handguards I've purchased have been a quick installation, never listen to a taobao seller, they're usually full of . If you mix and match the various mounting hardware found among the different kits, you will usually get a perfect fit without any bending or force.

Removing the weights on the end of your handlebars will probably result in increased vibration.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #35 Re: hand job 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ChinaV, one of several differences between the 2009 JH600 and the 2010 威虎版 is the presence of many alloy parts, including the bars. Mine are for sure stock/standard garden-variety steel bars. I've seen MotoKai's 威虎版 and the bars are definitely thicker. Whether the alu bars or the steel bars are 7/8 inch shall be left to the tape. I can check tomorrow.

Many thanks for the primer! (Damn I envy you guys with the nice shops and professional photographers to shoot you in the act of drilling (which opens the door to more imaginative puns)...)

cheers
    jkp
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #36 Re: hand job 
    Imagine how simple our lives here would be if every taobao seller was like ChinaV.....

7. #37 Re: hand job 
    I just figured that i dont have to deal with issues like hand guards our similar stuff ;-)
    Andy

8. #38 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Couple of questions and observations:
    Milton: The aluminium clamp on the handlebar is the wrong one for your kind of handlebar, these are a better fit and use a plastic bushing which helps with vibration.
    Euphonius and I each bought a set. The clamps you showed did not fit my bike. It supposedly fits Euphonius' which is steel and not tapered like mine.

The handlebars should be drilled first, most of them have an inner diameter that is too small for the inserts.
    I doubt that the shop I went to has a drill press. The installation on mine looks terrible, after seeing yours correctly put together. Need to find a place with a drill press.

....., you will usually get a perfect fit without any bending or force.
    My guys did nothing but bending and force. After playing out my guinie pig role, I will wait and see where Euphonius will go to have his installed.
    Cheers

9. #39 Re: hand job 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    The clamps you showed did not fit my bike. It supposedly fits Euphonius' which is steel and not tapered like mine.
    Hmmm that's interesting, my bars are fat tapered ones too.

The easiest thing to do is just leave it in my garage with the parts sitting on the seat. A grumpy little magic elf usually comes in during the night and installs these things. He also has a tendency to wash and detail the bike as well.

I purchased a wide variety of hand guards over the years, and unlike the BMW parts that bolt right on to Chinabikers ride, none of them worked as advertised. The first issue I noticed, is the handlebar insert. The one in the photo below is the best I have found. The threaded cone at the end is 12.5mm, so you will need to drill your bars to 13mm to make them work. The reason I use a drill press is that my hand drill chuck is not big enough for a 13mm drill bit.

If these inserts are too long, you can cut them down with a hacksaw, just put some kind of a collar around them before you do or you will most likely bend them.

Cut your handgrips with a razor. The left one is pretty easy to do, the right one requires more precision, as you don't want to cause the throttle to bind.

Now comes the part where you need to do some mixing and matching. These are the three different mounting kits you will find on almost all the hand guards in China. Depending on your bars, the middle one is usually the best. If your handlebars are too big, the plastic collars in the left hand ones can be used instead. The reason I like the middle and left hand ones, is that they pivot a bit which helps in the installation. I have never had to use force to install these on any bike. Just put them on and finger tighten everything without any issue.

Once you get everything adjusted, lock-tight and tighten all the bolts.

Be sure to leave a little gap on the left and right hand sides of your throttle grip. If you are replacing your grips, a little spray paint on the inside works great to keep them from slipping.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #40 Re: hand job 
    Grr, lost long post
    ok, brief: I want to fit bar-end mirrors as well as guards, is possible? any insert for insert?
    I used taobaofocus and somehow found 丝绸短裤 AGAIN but persevered and finally
    chose the same ones as ChinaV recommends which is a nice coincidence
    tried to buy but script hung
    is it possible to buy and sign up for alipay out of country
    or use paypal somehow? Translation engines and my brain not good tonight
    can't see how to get fittings for Kinlon
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast