Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 What about antiques? 
    I know. First of all, you're going to say, this forum isn't for cars, but hey, if a motorcycle guy doesn't know the answer to a question, then who the hell does?

What about antique cars in China? I know that they don't want cars more than something like 12 years old registered, but is there a class that legitimizes antiques?Islamic 57.jpg

If so, what % duty would u pay to import one? How would the value be determined? Would a pay off be envolved? I guess that was a foolish question. Has anybody seen any? Is there a club?Islamic_57.JPG

2. #2 Re: What about antiques? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    If that were Saddam Hussein's Chevy, you might find a museum that would want it: The Museum of Cars Driven by Autocrats Who Gave the Finger to America. Oh, wait. That one is outside of Pyongyang.

As for China, the cars people seem intent on collecting these days are "supercars" as you can see in my This is China thread.

Your intuition about China is correct: It's virtually impossible to import a used car of any age into the People's Republic of (New) Cars.

So where do you hang your hat, anyway? Hainan, Dubai or somewhere in Canada? And what wonderful endeavor do you do that links the three?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: What about antiques? 
    How about Hainan, Abu Dhabi, and Canada, all at different times of the year. Come February, we can cancel Abu Dhabi and add Afghanistan to the list. Helicopter pilot. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

Too bad about those rules. It would be a nice car to cruise around China in. Perhaps I'll be able to come across a politician someday that could label it a movie vehicle.

4. #4 Re: What about antiques? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Chopper pilot. Nice way to stay safe when you are not motorcycling! Do watch out for military aircraft down in Hainan, however...

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: What about antiques? 
    If you bring up Classic Cars in China, you have to mention Luo Wenyou, considered to be China's most passionate car collector.

Check out these additional links for more info on Luo and other Chinese car collections:
    Luo Wenyou: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE55H1FB20090618
    Chinese Car Museums: http://www.chinesecars.net/index.php?page=60

6. #6 Re: What about antiques? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thanks for the links. Looks like a motorcycle ride out to Huairo is needed to check out his museums in person