Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Daniel,

Thanks indeed on behalf of the whole (growing) JH600 crowd here in Shanghai.

Question: Was Dr Cui operating on a JH600 for the first time, or does he have previous experience or perhaps even training with Jialing? Did he have any "formal training" from a trade school or perhaps a manufacturer?

If yours was his virgin Jialing, how did he go through the learning curve? Did he just start pulling things apart, or did he consult with Jialing or at least look at the parts catalog, which has exploded diagrams of all systems on the bike?

And what did you do about parts? Did you order them directly from Jialing, or did Dr Cui? Or are there local suppliers here in Shanghai?

And, echoing Milton, the price is certainly right!

many thanks!
    Jeff
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    Pudong's a little far from my place but I'm always looking for recommendations on mechanics here in Shanghai. Thanks for the post Nostalgie.

3. #13 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    Hey guys,

CJ Sidecar now sells Jialing 600's and 250's they do have a staff mechanic who i have known for years and is a pretty good mechanic and fabricator. My 600 is still in the factory so I have not had the opportunity to "break it" but i trust them to work on it properly( meaning on the floor in the dirt) hahahaha. They have not been formally trained, I will suggest they get training form the factory to the owner of CJ sidecar who is interested in selling more and more Jialing's. Will keep you guys posted. IF you guys want to try yourselves you can visit the shop in Shanghai its on HaMi Lu and KeLe lu in Chang Ning district. Tell them Winston sent you (I used to be the sales manager)(should help ensure good service)(should ;-0)

Winston

4. #14 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Winston,

Thanks for the tip. This is certainly a new development at CJ Sidecar; I rode in there back in summer and it was the same old same old -- with not a Jialing in sight. Embracing Jialing would make perfect sense, however, given that the CJ is no longer in production and thereby an endangered species. The JH600B seems to be selling well in China, mainly to military and police but also to civvies, so these guys have a chance to have something unique and of value here in Shanghai. I would very much hope they support the JH600 as well. A bit of competition would certainly encourage others, and again I'm thinking about 小范 here as well as Nostalgie's mechanic Dr Cui out in Pudong. Maybe they'll even be motivated to build shop tables and tool organizers and acknowledge the evolutionary trend toward working in a standing position!

Jialing does have good support for mechanics. 老周 and 唐炜 both travel frequently around China meeting with shops and wrenches.

Thanks again for the tip.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #15 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    The CJ has not been made by the head factory in NanChung for many years but that was never an issue for CJ sales as they are all restored 2nd hand bikes. An the Chinese made so freakin many since introduction in 56'. Someone once quoted 3 million in total from the Nanchung factory alone, not including the other factories producing the CJ variants. You can still find NEW plastic CJ in cities like Golmud for like 16,000 rmb (foreigner price, no way locals are paying that much!) Parts are becoming harder to get though. Its plates are the killer. China as a whole were phasing out the 3 wheel plates, that is until the JiaLing came around.... not sure what the central gov, is going to do about that. I think Shanghai should begin to reissue the 3 wheel plate for the 600B's. I guess its not really necessary but would make my life easier.

P.s Whats the best way to get a hold of the Jailing mechanics and things to keep on top of the things like latest EFI software and other vehicle updates?

6. #16 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    Dear Lao Bai,

Hahaha, I feel so glad to share all my experience with you JH600 riders. Especially after numberless breakdown of mine.

Here are the answers for your questions: Dr.Cui (he's poor at school, but his sister really got a Master degree of Litterature) has operated my JH600B for already 2 years. Each time there's a mechanical/electrical trouble(usually not a small one), he'd find a solution directly, then treated it by heart. All those ability comes from his experience of heavy motor repairing. "formal training" is what I've insisted him to pass, but his response is always "no need", as our monocylinder, single spark, electrical fuel injection, liquide cooling JH600 is neither complicated nor advanced for him. What's more, he's a quick learner of JH600 by each time's analyse and work. so if u talk with him, u may hear what kind of appraise he'd give for JH600 designers and manufacturers. hahaha

Mine is his first Jialing of course, but he has repaired BMW F650 GS and Aprilia Pegaso 650 before, which use the same Rotax engine designed by Austria AVL Group ( check: http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/F650History...%20650%20Bikes and https://www.avl.com/china;jsessionid...522F03.avlwp47). He did have consulted Lao LI (they are fellow-townsman of HeFei city, the capital of AnHui province. And Xiao Fan, too.) several times by telephone, and he didn't have 'the parts catalog' which only LIU Zhi Dong and Xiao Fan has.

What dose it matter? As I do have not only this book of list, but another PDF copy of JH600 maintenance job 3D picture guide in my PC. Well, that means I can give my suggestion, show the procedure to him before the job. And I think that's enough professional. hahaha

Seriously, All my spare parts orded from nobody but LIU Zhi Dong (call him Zhan You will be familiar!), who runs the only Official Garantee & Service Station (also the maintenance responsibale man even for the 18 military JH600Bs in Shanghai for EXPO) of JH600 around the Delta Yangzi River Region. Why?That's the Jialing factory who decided, and LIU visit twice per year to ChongQing for national wide service station conferences, where they sign contracts. Moreover, his super power and responsibility for helping you foreign friends to get the shanghai private plate of 600cc motor is a prove. Actually, he's the president of the famous Shanghai BLACK BAT sidecar club for 7 years, and I am one member of it (now become the compiler of http://bbs.750.com.cn/showforum-16.aspx )

Well Jeff, hope u get clear with my english (probably mixed with certain french expression...) and wish to have some wonderful ride in nature places with u! Je t'embrasse.

Daniel MAO
    Last edited by nostalgie; 11-16-2010 at 04:31 AM.

7. #17 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    Daniel,

Hey can you remind me what chain you are now using on your JH 600b and what battery you switched to? My bike is here and I have been riding it and working on it for the last few days and the last few items to do include both chain and battery.

Thanks
    Winston

8. #18 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    Daniel,
    Hey can you remind me what chain you are now using on your JH 600b and what battery you switched to? My bike is here and I have been riding it and working on it for the last few days and the last few items to do include both chain and battery.
    Hi Winston, I will chime in here as just recently I have my battery replaced. It was purchased from Liu Zhi Dong, who stocks a few of those at Xiao Fan's. According to Liu, they are made by "the same factory that supplies to BMW". I replaced the battery just to find out if it'd fix my JH600 not starting problem. It turned out the problem was simply due to a failed spark plug, not battery, but I have no complaints so far about the battery.
    Don't know much about the chain. It is also on my to-replace list.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by milton; 12-23-2010 at 01:00 AM.

9. #19 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    YES, you can find this chain in Xiao Fan's shop. It is made in china, names KISS, with some thinker material than the our original one, each section 4 O-rings seriously, and copper-plating outside. JH600B model needs this 525 chain for 120 sections. inside the package of this chain, it also prepared one more buckle with O-ring for emmergency use, quite nice, isn't it? Why I didn't buy a DID one? Haha, all of DID chain below 1000 RMB you can found on the local market are fake ones, just compare the quality with Japanese DID or Hongkong DID products, then you'd found the difference. What's more, the fake DIDs have been mading in the same workshop of KISS chain, which located in HangZhou city, a huge famous factory there. what about my feeling of this chain? 10000km using already, no problem, much quiet than usual, and with confidence to accelerate! anyway, just keep lubrifying them by the way shown on the package after each 300km ride.

Thanks Milton, this new battery I found is made in the same chinese factory who do the OEM battery service for BMW F650 GS model. The adventage is here:

1. the ONLY ONE battery can fit exactly into JH600/JH600B you can found on the chinese market. I mean not only the size, but also the electrical reference.

2. no need any maintenance for 2 years' use, it's Gel inside.

3. once the battery lack of "gel" (which you may see directly throw the transparent shell), easy to open the plastic shell, then just fill in distillation water(pure water is ok, find everywhere in supermarket), it would be automaticly changed into gel.

4. as me and my friend have met the sensor problem, the battery continued works hundreds of time without charged, that's an iron prove to the quality, whick above my imagination.

5. the price is cheeper than the Jialing factory one, as this time we've brought more, the price goes much more cheeper than I bought the first time.
    CBF150 in town, JH600B worldwide...

10. #20 Re: JH600B maintenance work in shanghai 
    Those KISS chains are crap, I had one on my F650 for six months and it destroyed a perfectly good set of sprockets. First one I bought tossed O-rings all over the street. Also needed adjustment every 1000 kilometers. Grab the chain and pull it through your hand... after you get all the metal burs out of your skin, think about how that wears on the o-rings and rollers.

I'm glad you are having such good luck after 10,000 km with yours nostalgie

DID525VX chain from Sanwa motorcycle shop in Hong Kong is less than ¥650. I'm somewhat sure BG performance gets stuff from Sanwa, so maybe they would have this chain in China . If not, PM and I can grab one for people when I visit Hong Kong.

Cheap chain just isn't worth the risk, and what you save on chain, you usually lose in wasted time adjusting and early sprocket replacement.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast