Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 fuel consumption 
    kinlon r/t 200cc
    I just worked it out again and after two tankfuls (8 litre tank) I can be pretty sure that I am getting an average fuel consumption of 2.7 litres per 100km. This seems OK to me, considering most trips are short (40km round trip) and top speed (about 85kph on gps, 100 kph on clock). Just wondered how others go, how does this compare with similar bikes out there?

2. #2 Re: fuel consumption 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Not bad, Jape. That's almost 90 miles per gallon! On my JH600 I think I use about 4.2 liters per 100 km, or about 56 mpg. Comparable to my KLR650. As for speed, I've pushed 130 kph, and the bike was still holding back. I'm guessing she'll do 150 kph, but have no intention to test this.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: fuel consumption 
    C-Moto Regular
    My Lifan 200 GY-5 looks to be similar to your bike. Best I can get is about 2.8L per 100 km but average about 3.6L per 100 km.

Q

4. #4 Re: fuel consumption 
    I was careful with measuring and can be pretty sure my figures are correct. Although I run at high speed because it is mainly tarmac or good condition dirt road at this time of year, there is often no traffic, hardly any gear changing, so I am cruising. Also my machine is pretty low on power and I think running lean.

5. #5 Re: fuel consumption 

6. #6 Re: fuel consumption 
    No idea MJH!

I find the best fuel economy comes from riding smoothly. The first thousand km I used 3.5 litres per 100km, now it is run in and I have ridden much more smoothly/carefully this second 1000km and it paid off by a heck of an improvement as you can see. Not that I ride smoothly all the time, I have to have the wind blow hard in my face at times and push it a bit for sheer fun (and sometimes terror) on the dirt. But to get the wind effect, instead of hammering along at top revs ... I just push the visor up and put my sunnies on! Had a few big bugs hit me hard in the face though.

7. #7 Re: fuel consumption 
    That's good economy, Jape. I worked mine out a little while ago, (I believe we have the same bike, KBR200RT) and it worked out to about 2.9l/100klms, pretty much the same. All of my riding is around Melbourne, often in peak hour gridlock twice a day, so it sems country k's and city k's give about the same return. Test riding mine for the first time, I wasn't too impressed, had NO top end, of course, being a single, and I'd ridden multi-cyclinder bikes all my life. Didin't take me too long to work out that the way to ride these bikes is by short-shifting gear and riding the torque curve tho, albeit a pretty meagre one. It's cool.. doesn't overstress the donk, makes it feel like you're making more power and saves a bit of juice. Not to mention licence demerit points.. I reckon they're a lot of fun and cheap as buggery to run. :)

8. #8 Re: fuel consumption 
    those numbers make my bike feel abit ashamed its only about 66mpg max and thats if im riding sensibly but with nice twisties on the way to work and constantly thinking im doing some time attack to get the quickest time to work its got to be only about 55ish at present. one handy tool on my speedo it shouldnt have is a lap timer thats just encourage ment iv heard this 125 engine can get about 78mpg but thats when its fuel injected and in a yamaha frame instead of being force fed by a 30mm keihin