Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: New to the site

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New to the site 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all. I just took the plung into chinese motorcycles. I have been seen riding my BMW Oilhead but it is just a bit large for cowtrailing. So who knows something about Wildfire WFG-200LDB's? I will be picking mine up in a few days so I get the joy of assembling it and finding out if it will run. More will follow on that. Cheers!

2. #2 Re: New to the site 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hello, WireJockey, and welcome to the board.

Looks like this is the bike you've purchased. I have no idea who makes that, but I bet my last nickel that someone in this forum will know exactly what it is. This eBay listing has bidding starting at US$700, but I can't believe that's all you'd pay for it. How did you find and select your bike? And to ask the quintessential Chinese question: How much did you pay?

Isn't it getting a bit cold for trailriding there in Michigan?

We look forward to reading about your adventures, starting with the unboxing and self-assembly. If you are so inclined, how about taking some pictures and reporting on the progress!

thanks/cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: New to the site 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The past few days it has been in the 60's. Yes, that is the bike. The purchase price was $976 plus MI sales tax and a $20 title fee. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the chink bikes. Now if you want to ask me about my BWW I can give you some aswers. LOL I thought I would add a bit to my reply. I plan to take pictures as I assemble it. As for riding in cold weather, I can't think of anything more run than going nuts out in the snow with a small displacement bike. I used to race 100 Hodaka's when I was a young man. We actually held races on frozen lakes with studded tires. It was a riot. My Beemer is a bit heavy for playing in the snow with but I ride it all through the year as long as there isn't ice on the roads.

I would like to figure out just what company built the little single I am getting. That way I can figure out who to feed and care for it. I think the engine looks like a Suzuki knockoff but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your reply
    Last edited by WireJockey; 11-23-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Just added a bit

4. #4 Re: New to the site 
    Yup, as Euphonius says there's some absolutely amazing guys on here when it comes to identifying these bikes and their bits. The vin number helps, the first three digits anyway if I remember right. I had a Kinlon 200 R/T out of a crate as well and I don't know enough to compare with others but it is good value despite rust and bits falling off. I enjoy it still and most here seem to enjoy their Chinabikes. Have a good read through some of the ride reports and you will be amazed at how good some of these bikes are.

5. #5 Re: New to the site 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Gee, it seems either you are an early riser or you stayed up all night. I have been trying to gather information since I couldn't sleep this past night. I do appreciate everyones responses. I think many of the complaints with some people would be much the same if they owned one of the Jap bikes. They beat the you know what out of them and then expect to not do any maintenance to make them stick together. About the worse thing I ever owned was a 650 BSA back in the 60's. The thing vibrated so bad I ended up drilling most of the nuts and studs and safety wiring or inserting cotter pins in them to keep it together. That bike would make my butt, hands and feet go numb after riding 30 to 50 miles on it. One of my friends had an twin to mine and it was much smoother. I guess I just got lucky and got one that the engine balance was horrible on.
    Later

6. #6 Re: New to the site 
    Or else I am in Australia .... heading for bed soon though. The common theme with these bikes seems to be simple, loctite, check engine mountings, replace battery and light bulbs, think about sprockets/muffler/airflow if you want a bit more power. But if you have had a 650 Beezer and survived til now you know all that. I used to go everywhere in UK on a BSA C15 with no problems, and rode an old Bantam round the farm. Looking forward to seeing your pics of bruised knuckles followed by cattle trails.

7. #7 Re: New to the site 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I seem to have foggy recall of a place called Sidney. Seems I visited the place sometime in 1971 and got involved with some strange liquid called Foster's. I wish I would have stayed out of the pubs and enjoyed see some of your country. I guess I was trying to forget that I had to go back to a place that was unfortunately being torn up by a civil war.

I will be sure to post pictures of any missing skin or other injuries that I inflict upon myself while attempting to assembly my new toy.

8. #8 Re: New to the site 
    C-Moto Regular
    The bike looks similar to my Lifan 200 GY-5. Same frame configuration with different tank, plastic, forks. The engine looks like the Lifan OHV non balance shaft model based on the Honda CG 200. I'll give you a couple assembly tips. Pop the seals and put some grease in the wheel bearings. Grease up the rear suspension pivots. Oil the air filter. Lube the cables. Check spoke tightness. Be super careful with chain adjustment, do it with 2 heavy people sitting on the bike or better yet do it with rear shock disconnected and countershaft/swing arm pivot/rear axle lined up.

Q

9. #9 Re: New to the site 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the tips. I will go over her with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything is adjusted right and well lubed.

10. #10 Re: New to the site 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    hi hey hello! got nothing useful to contribute but just wanted to welcome you to MCM :)
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast