Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The best biking roads 
    Hi there!
    I would like to mention my project to catalogue every biking road in the world.
    To do this I crated the site www.roads2go.com.
    My goal is it to reach as many motor bikers as possible from all over the world and encourage them to share their experiences on www.roads2go.com.
    I made the interface as simple and intuitive as possible.
    I will be glad if you would enter your personal favorites and rate other roads.
    I entered myself over 100 roads I have driven on. But I have not been everywhere. That is why I am counting on you.

Regards
    Martin

2. #2 Re: The best biking roads 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Martin, Welcome to the forum, and welcome to your innovation! Did your really set this up yourself? Nice piece of software!

Is it possible to import routes from other systems? (Not that they'd particularly appreciate it.) You'll find many China routes in various formats here in MCM. How would you go about entering them into your system?

Are there ways to export routes from your system into our GPS units so they are at hand during rides?

very interesting!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: The best biking roads 
    Hi euphonius.
    Thank you for your appreciation.
    I am the creator or roads2go, but I did it not on my own. It would be to much work for one alone.
    The export and import of gps data is very high on our 2DO list. So it will come soon.
    bye
    Martin

4. #4 Re: The best biking roads 
    guten Morgen Martin!
    I just visited your site and it seems to be a fine Idea! there are some wonderful roads I can share, but I will not register on your site, as long as you ask for more than username, password and mail.
    please, delete the "red star" in the second part "birthday".
    I am a little bit paranoid with information-posting in the internet.
    Sabine

5. #5 Re: The best biking roads 
    Hallo Sabine,
    Ich verstehe, dass Du nicht zuviel Informationen über Dich ins Internet stellen möchtest. Du kannst auf Deinem Profil einstellen, dass keiner Dein Geburtsdatum sehen kann. Außerdem mußt Du ja nicht unbedingt dass wahre Datum angeben. Wir müssen nur sicher gehen, dass unsere Nutzer über 18 sind :)
    Bis bald
    Martin

6. #6 Re: The best biking roads 
    You could always just have a check box affirming over 18 instead? I hardly ever put my true birth-date anyway.
    Viel Erfolg!

7. #7 Re: The best biking roads 
    mm1000, welcome! What a great initiative you took here, i really hope it picks up!

I have some great roads for it and i will put them up there, but i am going to wait until i can directly import a kml or gpx file! They are very twisty roads and i'm too lazy to draw them by hand!

Now regarding the china map offset, i have a question: Should i upload an offset track, so that it appears correct on the map, or should i upload the track with the true gps coordinates? I think it would be better to use true coordinates, so if is using a non-chinese gps device and wants to download that track, it'll appear correct on their device. Any thoughts?

8. #8 Re: The best biking roads 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    You could always just have a check box affirming over 18 instead? I hardly ever put my true birth-date anyway.
    Viel Erfolg!
    Well, some like to show their age.
    The default date is, as if you were 18 in the moment of the registration.
    So you even don't have to change it. And when you wish to hide the date just click private on your profile settings :)

9. #9 Re: The best biking roads 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    mm1000, welcome! What a great initiative you took here, i really hope it picks up!

I have some great roads for it and i will put them up there, but i am going to wait until i can directly import a kml or gpx file! They are very twisty roads and i'm too lazy to draw them by hand!

Now regarding the china map offset, i have a question: Should i upload an offset track, so that it appears correct on the map, or should i upload the track with the true gps coordinates? I think it would be better to use true coordinates, so if is using a non-chinese gps device and wants to download that track, it'll appear correct on their device. Any thoughts?
    The best way will be that the data you uplaod will be correct on the map.
    Concerning the "drawing by hand": You just have to click on the start point and the finishing point of a given road section. The system will draw the route by its own. Furthermore we only collect road sections and not whole tours. So if you have a 500 km route you want to upload it would be pointless. Its better to divide such a tour in single sections, which you can rate and comment seperately.

10. #10 Re: The best biking roads 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    This idea of focusing on road segments is very much like the Greatest Road application for the iPhone. They call these "stretches", as in, "That was one great stretch of road!"

Martin, have you had a look at that iPhone app? Is there any way for them to work together? I think Greatest Road has mapped a lot of US roads. I can introduce you to the developer if you like. He's in San Francisco.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast