Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: The best biking roads 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    This idea of focusing on road segments is very much like the Greatest Road application for the iPhone. They call these "stretches", as in, "That was one great stretch of road!"

Martin, have you had a look at that iPhone app? Is there any way for them to work together? I think Greatest Road has mapped a lot of US roads. I can introduce you to the developer if you like. He's in San Francisco.

cheers
    Hi
    Thanks for the tip.
    I thought also of defining them as strechtches.
    I heard of such an app.
    Haven't they got an webiste, where these stretches are marked?
    If not it could be great to come together...

bye

2. #12 Re: The best biking roads 
    just joined in your site! you have created something realy good!
    here is my 1. Post and it was easy to do: http://www.roads2go.com/route/4690

3. #13 Re: The best biking roads 
    Hi Martin,

I registered and entered a few of my favorite roads in eastern china, it is indeed very easy! I will continue to mark good roads there, i think you've built a really useful tool for bikers around the world.

One thing is was worndering about though, it might be useful to mark the date the road was entered onto the map in the road details. Roads change so fast here, a raod that was good in 2008 may be impassable in 2011 etc..

4. #14 Re: The best biking roads 
    I don't have any roads to enter yet, could add a few from Aus that I love perhaps. With regard to the point of road conditions changing, thus a report on a road that is out of date could lead to difficulty or danger in out of the way regions - we need more. An overlay of links to contacts, a network of people that are willing to correspond or be contacted about roads they enter or more helpfully, roads in the region they live in. One man's backyard is another man's ride report. I am aware of the difficulty of this but consider that the Internet and such means of communication are growing all the time. It is the new social paradigm, like minded people related superficially, connecting and sharing, and this is in fact the intitial paradigm of the whole idea. William Gibson was soooooo right.

5. #15 Re: The best biking roads 
    C-Moto Guru
    @Jape: I understand the rating & comment on roads as the function you request. So latest comments on a road should update on changes & situations. Or?

6. #16 Re: The best biking roads 
    Well I thought I would have a go, but immediately I find some routes I want to mark are not shown as roads and other minor roads where shown are not named. Logging roads and fire-tracks and power company tracks, all roads I use legally and usually passable for 4WD and dirt bikes.

Is there an icon system available for such things as 'summer only'? Or a tagging system for remarks such as 'fire danger during summer, check with (website) for road closures' and such information?

And another thought, petrol stations and fuel points should be marked.

I will check to see how this corresponds to Google Earth and or Google Maps. and when I have time will join the related Roads2Go forum.

Also I could not find a way to lock to a center point when magnifying, had to drag around a bit to re-center. That bit could be me!

7. #17 Re: The best biking roads 
    Thanks Andre, the rating system I had not explored properly, my bad, some comments could be placed there but I imagined also a place-marker for members willing to answer immediate queries by email/IM. Local knowledge goes a long way, ie in Southern Australia during fire season with active fires, monsoon closures In Northern territory, Chinese road works, African wars ... Korean shell fire ...

8. #18 Re: The best biking roads 
    dear Friends!
    always remember it is a very young site with great potential. I also believe, that it is not very easy to construct such a site. a lot of information is already produced and I think more than: "there is a fine road, conditions have been in summer xyz this way......, last comment says ........., restaurants/petrol stations/ etc" is enough information to store on such a site.
    if you want to ride during fire season in Australia; call the local authorities, if you want to ride along the North Korean Border; watch the news, chinese road works are even unknown to the local government.
    and there is always the possibility to PM the Poster and ask in privat if he/she knows something more.

9. #19 Re: The best biking roads 
    Hi @ all,
    Thank you for your interest in roads2go.com.
    Like I said to Sabine allready,we are continously working on the website. Our 2DO list is getting longer and longer.
    We will try to realize as many of your ideas as possible.
    @ felix: We will add the date of adding the road.
    @ jape: Changing road conditions and seasonal dangers can be markes in the road description. If you need to mark dangerous places, you can use the POI danger to mark such places.
    Our map is based on google maps, so we only display their map material. If you want to mark roads, which are not catalogued by google maps, you have to mark the road point by point. Unfortunately we have no influence on google.
    We add allready a gas station POI. Like I mentioned before you can put links in the road desciption to show issue related websites.

Once again thank your for your sugestions. We will improve our website step by step.

Have a nice weekend.

10. #20 Re: The best biking roads 
    Motowhere.com
    http://www.motowhere.com/

Found a site that is another good solution to start sharing China Routes/Tracks:
    There is already a Lhasa to Everest Base Camp route contributed by asiabiketours. http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/country/49

Check it out and let's start adding routes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12