Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: China: Motorcycle Equipment for Sale in Shanghai 
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I am not in China so I did not know, I just guessed it was so as I didn't think you were so stupid as to try and charge double price for a second-hand bike on such a forum! If I go overland to UK via China and India as planned, and maybe even back again, I shall need something more than the Kinlon style China-bike I have here in Oz. But with a 100% duty, buying and registering in China would not be the best way to go for someone in my position.

2. #12 Re: China: Motorcycle Equipment for Sale in Shanghai 
    I can attest to the accuracy of Ryan's statement on new BMW pricing. I have a 1200GSA in the USA I bought new for around US$20K in 2008. New 1200GSA here in China is over US$50K. I just could not justify that for a motorcycle I would probably drop at some point based on all my previous experiences. That is why I have the JH600.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #13 Re: China: Motorcycle Equipment for Sale in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    I can attest to the accuracy of Ryan's statement on new BMW pricing. I have a 1200GSA in the USA I bought new for around US$20K in 2008. New 1200GSA here in China is over US$50K. I just could not justify that for a motorcycle I would probably drop at some point based on all my previous experiences. That is why I have the JH600.
    Yes, and that applies pretty much across the board for any vehicle that is bought into China. I've got the prices for the HD, BMW Motorrad, Ducati and Benelli prices for China, and they are ridiculous prices. Even the prices vehicles like Suzuki Jimny & Grand Vitara in China are double of what I could buy in many overseas markets.
    The real cost of buying of imported vehicles in China is simply achieved by a doubling to two and a half times the new replacement cost of the vehicle in most overseas markets (USA, UK, Aus., NZ, etc.).

Even the BMW G650GS single cylinder (engine made by Loncin here in China) is 130K, easily double what it is new elsewhere. I'd luv a F800GS or a Yamaha Super Ténéré XT1200Z.

4. #14 Re: China: Motorcycle Equipment for Sale in Shanghai 
    Hello,

RE: Foreign made Motorcycle Prices.

I think TexasAggle & BikerDoc are spot on; it's insanely expensive to own a foreign made bike in China. Foreign made cars suffer from the same import duty. But still, with all the tax that needs to be paid, there is a huge market for foreign made bikes for those that have the money, and as we all know there are a lot of people in this country with the cash to pony up for just about anything. In fact, BMW Shanghai is clean out of bikes; doing three times the sales from 2009. BMW Beijing is in a similar situation. What is missing is a strong secondary market for parts and bikes; it might take a decade or so before that properly comes in to effect. Luckily there are forums like this were we can all connect and share our experiences.

Ryan
    www.mkride.com
    ryan@mkride.com
    Ryan Pyle
    Photographer / Film Maker / Adventurer / Motorcycle Rider
    www.ryanpyle.com
    NEW PROJECT: www.mkride.com
    ryan@ryanpyle.com

5. #15 Re: China: Motorcycle Equipment for Sale in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Do you still have the tall seat for sale, very interested and are you able to ship to the USA-California

6. #16 Re: China: Motorcycle Equipment for Sale in Shanghai 
    Stapes454 - the seats have been sold. Sorry.

Ryan
    Ryan Pyle
    Photographer / Film Maker / Adventurer / Motorcycle Rider
    www.ryanpyle.com
    NEW PROJECT: www.mkride.com
    ryan@ryanpyle.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12