Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    Hey guys! My name is Matt, and I have been living and biking around China and Taiwan for 2 years now. I'm moving back to China (Huizhou, Guangdong) from Taiwan this January, probably for good this time.

I've got about 20,000 km under my belt in Asia, and have done it all on 125s and 150s, so I'm ready for something a bit bigger.

I've just returned from an epic journey of riding the entire length of Vietnam in 8 days- all on an antiquated Soviet era Minsk 125 2 stroke. It was life changing, and I can't wait to have more misadventures and mishaps back in China.

I was a bit worried about the legality of buying a bigger bike, and continuing to progress in my moto journey if I moved back to China. Well well well, I stumbled across this lovely website, only to find that there were many a like minded people out there- in the PRC!

Anyway! I can't wait to get into this community, and look forward to any help I might receive trying to find a new bike, and giving any help that I can give!

2. #2 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    Welcome Matt,

I'm in Huizhou quite often but I live in Dongguan. Give me a shout when you get settled here and we can catch up for a few beers. I think Huizhou is about to implement the bike ban, but there's a lot of great riding all over that area, both on and off road.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Welcome Matt,

I'm in Huizhou quite often but I live in Dongguan. Give me a shout when you get settled here and we can catch up for a few beers. I think Huizhou is about to implement the bike ban, but there's a lot of great riding all over that area, both on and off road.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Thanks for the quick welcome!

Love to have a few beers and talk bikes.

Huizhou has had the bike been implemented for few years now, but they haven't actually done anything about it. Let's hope the corruption permeates Huizhou long enough to keep us on the road for a few more years!

What do you ride?

4. #4 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by matt999tye View Post
    What do you ride?

Welcome#2 Matt,
    Everyone's jealous of Mr ChinaV. That's the current fleet in his garage, currently three of the four hourses are up for adoption, I'm trying to buy one of the bikes myself. http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post18336

Regards,
    slabo

5. #5 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    hey, that last on to the right is MINE! :D
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post

Welcome#2 Matt,
    Everyone's jealous of Mr ChinaV. That's the current fleet in his garage, currently three of the four hourses are up for adoption, I'm trying to buy one of the bikes myself. http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post18336

Regards,
    slabo
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

6. #6 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    I would be semi interested in the BMW if it is legal, and there is a definite way to service it nearby!

7. #7 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    welcome to the group!!
    i envy ans salute your trip through vietnam on bike! must have been the most maniacal journey ever! if you made it through there alive, i'm sure china will be fine for you! lol
    did you start from the north or south?
    i was in vietnam in september and we moved from north to south, going from hanoi, hue, nha trang and ending in saigon..
    we did manage to get some scooters and ride around for a day in nha trang, that was awesome!
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

8. #8 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkicore View Post
    welcome to the group!!
    i envy ans salute your trip through vietnam on bike! must have been the most maniacal journey ever! if you made it through there alive, i'm sure china will be fine for you! lol
    did you start from the north or south?
    i was in vietnam in september and we moved from north to south, going from hanoi, hue, nha trang and ending in saigon..
    we did manage to get some scooters and ride around for a day in nha trang, that was awesome!

It was crazy man. I'm currently writing an article about it.

We started in Hanoi. I have to say, on an everyday basis, riding in China is more life threatening, just because the people don't have souls- especially lorry drivers. In Vietnam, it was worrying about imminent breakdowns, cows, weather, and lack of places to buy supplies. It was pretty wild and 1/2.

9. #9 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    Hi, matt, I work in shenzhen, normally ride around east of GD when i'm back home.
    Welcome
    TD

10. #10 Re: Yeah, yeah. I'm new! 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    Hi, matt, I work in shenzhen, normally ride around east of GD when i'm back home.
    Welcome
    TD
    Sounds good- maybe we can go for a ride together!