Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 fun in the sun - not! 
    3 inches of rain, I live on top of a hill but this is my gateway out! Nearly a meter deep and rising.

As you may imagine, I have been thinking of excuses to ride out a couple of times on the bike!. My boots are full and I am soaked but the Kinlon was great. Road cut in eight places between me and the township but nothing desperate yet, just hoons in 4WDs that don't know how close they come to flipping when they hit water at 100kph. Makes a change after 14 years of drought.

flood.jpg

2. #2 Re: fun in the sun - not! 
    Wow...that's looks like a lot of water, and fun. I was in Australia a few years ago and remember how bad the drought was, does it look like it's really getting a lot better or is there still a big water problem?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: fun in the sun - not! 
    The old timers say this is how it used to be! Never will get the rivers running and thriving again in so many areas, because farming and industry take huge amounts out before it gets to the river proper and the wetlands and deltas. Drought isn't officially broken until so many varied parameters are met (in different places too) but hopefully this will do it for Victoria. Many reservoirs now filling, my local one now up from 4% to 44%. I will be able to get the fly rod out for the first time in twelve years.

The pic. is of a stream that is usually 150mm deep and a 600mm wide and piped under my entrance, and it runs only when it rains, at present it is a metre deep and 30 meters across and it blew a hole in the reinforced concrete pipe! Hydraulic energy can be amazing. Still raining, still rising. A friend just drove out from my property with the water halfway up the car door, last vehicle for a few days I think, luckily I have the 'bike and can go cross country through the trees in other directions and I have supplies.

Of course, within a month the undergrowth in the forest will be thick and high, then it will all dry out in days and we will have extreme fire danger conditions! Just the way of it here. But for a boy on a motorbike ... weeeeeeeee.