Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 China GPS Road Maps 
    Brice, you mentioned that you used a GPS and that all the roads weren't on the map. Can you tell me where you located GPS maps of China, and if they are in Pinyin? I just brought back a Garmin GPSmap 60cx from the States, and have been using it just to ensure I can find my way back home, but would love to figure out where to purchase some decent road maps for around China.

For what I know (TBC) only Garmin GPS bought in China will have detailed maps of China. Their maps are not compatibles with the other Garmin and vice versa.

I'm using a low cost no name Chinese GPS based on WinCE. It was supplied with KLD and Route66 software and maps for China. Maps are from 2006 so some new roads/highways are missing but they are very detailed.

KLD is Chinese only and Route66 allows some search in roman and Chinese characters. I use Route66 because it has routing with English voice. It is good for finding a place but it has no tracking function.

If you bought one check the maps and the software first. You can have many SDCards with different softwares according your needs. Ask the vendor to put more if needed.

With these no name GPS, a good software for tracking is OZIexplorerCE, the maps are poor but the other features are extended.

If you have some cash to spend, check the Mobile/PDA/GPS (Dopod, HTC) with Windows Mobile 5 or 6. the Operating System is not locked like in mine so you can also use it as a phone or a pda or a media player.

some websites about these GPS: www.28PDA.com (chinese) or www.gpspassion.com (English)

Brice and CC

There's some amazing scenery in your photos. Very appealing! :w00t:
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

This may sound a little extreme but personally I think if a motorcyclists lives in or near Western China and never rides it, it's like sitting on a mountain made of diamond and wondering where the jewels are.

Unless you've ridden in the Andes of South America, if you've never done this kind of riding before, put away everything you think you know and get ready for something different.

Oh and take lots of pictures! :thumbup:

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12