Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Now what?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Now what? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I guess you'll have some military airplane/heli right next to you in no time if you try flying it in BJ or SH!

2. #32 Re: Now what? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Not sure about the Chinese law, but there are plenty of paragliders in China. It's still not tightly regulated, but there are plenty of pilots already. I was practicing regularly last year, now broke and don't have anymore time. One pilot flew over the west mountains near Kunming and missed his original landing spot. He landed right in the middle of the military base, with a camera strapped to his chest! There are also many people flying over the great wall. Paragliding is much simpler than it looks, but the above picture is overkill, I think it takes all the fun out of flying. Just thought it's related to Jape's post.

3. #33 Re: Now what? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    ... Need to decide by Friday...tick tick tick goes the clock...
    So its Friday, now we want to know
    and how much

4. #34 Re: Now what? 
    After a lot of thought, my final decision came down to the Galaxy TGR250 and the QingQi QM250GY-2D. Why?

Galaxy TGR250
    It's a small step above the Galaxy XTR and a small step bellow the Shineray XY250GY-2 X2. I need a weekend enduro machine, and the TGR is very cost effective at ¥12,800 (¥1000 more expensive than the XTR and ¥4000 less expensive than the X2). If I was only going to have one China moto in the garage, it would probably be the Shineray X2, but the extra power and water cooling aren't really necessary for the kind of dirt riding I do. I also like the simplicity of the Galaxy's air cooled engine and close proximity of their factory when I need parts.

QingQi QM250GY-2D
    The QM250GY-2D has everything I loved about the QM250GY-B(ASD) with a bigger gas tank and much better seat. The bike is based on the QingQi "Rock" X-Bike that CrazyCarl helped QingQi envision. It's a great platform for me to start building a lightweight China adventure machine from. A smooth, air and oil cooled, single cylinder 250 with decent suspension and ergonomics. Also a fun little bike to have in the garage when friends come around and want to go for a ride.

Once I get everything sorted out, I'll start some new threads showing all the little details of both machines.

Regarding the Xingyue XY400Y-2 & the Asiawing LX450...

Xingyue XY400Y-2: I scanned several threads on the Chinese forums and also read some reviews of the Pitster Pro version. None of them left me feeling like the bike is right for me. It's probably a nice step above some of the 250's with its big liquid cooled 6 speed, but it just wasn't "dirty" enough for my enduro needs with its power to weight ratio (145kg/22kw). I also didn't feel right about spending ¥18,800 when you can get the same bike in America from Pitster Pro for ¥13,300 ($1999).

Asiawing LX450: I really wanted to get this bike, but ¥26,800 for a Chinese moto is a lot of cash, and I'm not serious enough about my enduro riding to plunk down that kind of investment. For the price they are asking, I expected more CNC bling bling like you get from Galaxy. Could it be turned into an adventure bike? Maybe, but that would call for further cash, and I don't think the engine was designed for long haul touring. It's a serious big bore dirtbike, and I probably don't have enough "cahones" for such a beast off road. I've heard good things about Asiawing, so I'm going to keep an open mind and maybe look at one next year. Hopefully they will think about an adventure touring version.

So that's where I'm at, which is probably much different from where you're at, as we all have different views on what we like to ride. Thanks for the input from everyone who commented.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #35 Re: Now what? 
    So you're saying you got both? Congrats!!

I can't wait to see the QingQi in person, what color did you decide on?

I feel some weekend rides coming on..
    "Hahaha, Crom laughs at your four winds. He laughs from his mountain."

6. #36 Re: Now what? 
    Congratulations on the new fleet ChinaV!

So actually... you replaced your Galaxy 250 and Qingqi 250 with a Galaxy 250 and a Qingqi 250. Way to upgrade!

7. #37 Re: Now what? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Bu Zuo

Have fun and continue sharing your expierence.

8. #38 Re: Now what? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I was watching this thread, was hoping for something new.. now I kinda feel bettter knowing I'm stuck with my bike.
    For now only the Galaxy 250's and the Shineray X2 are easily registered in China ? I'm talking about 250 CC dualsport bikes.

Motorbikes are just frustrating in China. Have a look at this thread over at ADV ... Cheep bike < 1500$
    In any other country, you could get a decent bullet proof used bike for peanuts.. Bikes are cheap. . FI started 20 years ago, i think , but they're still trying to figure it out in China. So we're stuck with copies of 20 year old bikes, only the not as well made as the originals...
    And then there's dealing with mechanics, if like me you promise to do your own maintenance and never get around to buying tools.. I've just moved to a new place with a garden, maybe I'll man up and buy a toolbox now.
    In case you're still around and interested, still have to try getting parts..
    Oh well, all ads to the adventure

9. #39 Re: Now what? 
    Hi Slabo,

I feel your pain, but look at the bright side.... we get to ride in a place that most people will never have a chance to experience. Sure, the Chinese motorcycle industry is a total cluster#$^%, but in twenty years we will look back with nostalgia and remember these as the good old days. By the time they sort out making great bikes and pave over the entire country, it won't be worth seeing.

Congrats on the new place, nice to know you will have tools and workspace for my next trip through Yunnan .

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #40 Re: Now what? 
    Here's a big ol' +1 to ChinaV's comment. Sure it's nice to have a sweet bike, even a reliable one, but one thing China has taught me is it's more about the individual than their toys.

A fellow rider in the US has a sig line which I think sums it up very nicely...

"Great people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best out of everything they have."

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast