Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Now what?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Now what? 
    And chinese mechanics are usually a great source of local info as regards where to eat, stay and where house's of ill repute are in any town

2. #42 Re: Now what? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I was complaining, yes, but being on anything with two wheels is pure bliss. Anything, I mean anything. I've been on two wheels for a long time now. Sometimes the 'contraption' was rusty, other times it was a classic, and sometimes it was just ok... you're right Carl, it's just another toy. It's only my perception that changes, and what I can do with what I have. But I also know pain is real, uncomfortable seats are a real pain in the ass, so are vibrations.. etc etc ..

But the best part of the day is passing through traffic on a bike, looking at cagers stuck in their boxes. I just smile from ear to ear. Just feels great being able to get across a city in 20mins anytime of the day. That just makes up for being stuck with the crappiest two wheels you could throw at me.

I lived in London for two years. Had mtb first, then a hybrid (that was stolen), then a rusty raliegh that went sideways instead of tracking a straight line, then finally a old Ryenolds 631 steel frame roadbike. With the roadbike, I could cross from far west to south east London in 75 minutes, whatever the weather. And I wasn't really lightning fast, the crazy ones were the couriers/messengers/fixie riders.. Do that in a porche!!

My real complaint is this::
    Before I came to China I had a 1992 400cc Honda Cruizer, or Steed as it was called. That was a 22 year old bike that passed through I don't know how many owners, yet it served me well. I cruised at 140 kph all day, and won't break my back. I only had to do the basic maintenance once in a while. I payed 1400$ for it. I can't expect anything near this with a brand new ChinaBike, no matter the price!

Conclusion:: I still ride, everyday, I ride through whatever conditions/wet/dry/hot(sometimes not)/cold/day/night... two wheels whatever the price, I just can't help it!

3. #43 Re: Now what? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Hi Slabo,

Congrats on the new place, nice to know you will have tools and workspace for my next trip through Yunnan .

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Of course! Any MCM'er is welcome. I still don't have furniture or a fridge yet, but, more importantly, cold beer is never too far in China nowadays. I also have an extra room or you can hang a hammock between the two trees up front. Still trying to convince the ol' lady it's a good idea to park the bike indoors
    Last edited by slabo; 12-08-2010 at 03:30 PM.

4. #44 Re: Now what? 
    ChinaV is right, though china is possibly the biggest headache-inducing country to ride a motorbike in, it is also worth every hour and migraine spent getting the paperwork together. It really has the some of the most incredible geography on the planet and it is worth seeing now, regardless the hassle, before the relentless march to destroy all of it has taken its toll. Sure we could be riding better bikes somewhere else and it's highly frustrating that we're stuck with shoddily built 20 year old technology, but i'm grateful that i'm here now before it's all paved, tolled, littered by/with tourists and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    ...trying to convince the ol' lady it's a good idea to park the bike indoors
    It is indeed a great idea. Besides all the obvious reasons like safety and the joy of living in your garage, explain to her how the smell of petrol and fork oil and whatnot makes us men more potent.

5. #45 Re: Now what? 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    FORK OIL! mmmmnn..
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

6. #46 Re: Now what? 
    Picked up the TGR yesterday and rode her home. I'll start a new thread about my TGR experience soon. Overall, happy with the bike... purchasing from Galaxy and registering in Jiangmen was a snap. Everything including bike, registration, insurance etc. was about ¥15k.

I also stopped at the Jiangmen division of QingQi to discuss my other upcoming purchase. Unfortunately they didn't have the QM250GY-2D there, but they did have a QM250GY-B(ASD). Looked very nice.

The garage overfloweth...

Just wanted a couple pics before the boys come to take the XTR and QM250 away.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #47 Re: Now what? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Picked up the TGR yesterday and rode her home. I'll start a new thread about my TGR experience soon. Overall, happy with the bike... purchasing from Galaxy and registering in Jiangmen was a snap. Everything including bike, registration, insurance etc. was about ¥15k.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    That just a couple of grand, you guys are so fortunate! A beautiful looking machine too.

8. #48 Re: Now what? 
    many congratulations on the fresh bike chinaV, she's a real beauty!

You know, if all your bikes weren't so pristine, your front yard would really look like some redneck trailer park!

9. #49 Re: Now what? 
    Thats after a ride in the sand quarry

10. #50 Re: Now what? 
    Oooh man... I think there's a mullet for ChinaV in the cards here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    You know, if all your bikes weren't so pristine, your front yard would really look like some redneck trailer park!
    Hey and what's up with that funky kick stand? Looks like it's too short from this angle.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast