Thread: Hybrid Bike

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3907414767

they have anything up to 3000W.

2. #32 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the link dude :)

That's a scooter wheel right? can you fit a bicycle wheel on it? it looks like it has bolts where the spokes would go. 3000w e-bike would be insane!

I have no idea about motors and torques, but I have always loved taking things apart and putting them back again, sometimes modified and often times broken! What do you think the strongest motor a mountain bike / road bike frame could take and still keep the front wheel on the floor?

I may possibly be taking a new job which would be a lot further than my current 5minute walk to work, takes about 45mins to get there by metro, there's supposedly a bus that takes around 25mins, but I bet I could do it in less on a bike. Interested in an E-bike because of the legalities of driving motorbikes in down town Shanghai where I live.

3. #33 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jetzki View Post
    Thanks for the link dude :)

That's a scooter wheel right? can you fit a bicycle wheel on it? it looks like it has bolts where the spokes would go. 3000w e-bike would be insane!

I have no idea about motors and torques, but I have always loved taking things apart and putting them back again, sometimes modified and often times broken! What do you think the strongest motor a mountain bike / road bike frame could take and still keep the front wheel on the floor?

I may possibly be taking a new job which would be a lot further than my current 5minute walk to work, takes about 45mins to get there by metro, there's supposedly a bus that takes around 25mins, but I bet I could do it in less on a bike. Interested in an E-bike because of the legalities of driving motorbikes in down town Shanghai where I live.
    Why reinvent the wheel? Plenty of DIY ebikes are discuss over at Instructables.com You'll find thorough build instructions, good luck

4. #34 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    yeah that's a scooter wheel with scooter 10" rim, i don't think you can lace spokes on it!

you're gonna need a heck load of batteries if you're trying to ebike a 45min metro ride. what kind of distances are talking about?

5. #35 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Door to door it takes 45mins, actual time on metro is probably closer to 25-30mins. Going from Jingan temple to Hongqiao terminal 1, you have to change from line 2 to line 10 at hongqiao t2 station, that usually takes a bout 5mins by it self.

Found a nice bunch of bicycle wheel motors here
    http://88850777.taobao.com/?search=y...&queryType=cat

I like how they've modified this bike. http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6135118211

All they've done is swap the wheel, put a rack with a box with the batteries and controller on the back, then put the throttle on the handle bar. Looks like a stock bike with that leather cover over the battery box.

I think something like that is what I would try to build, I'd probably make the battery box a bit bigger though so it can take a larger battery.

6. #36 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Why not just bicycle from Jing'an Temple to Hongqiao Terminal 1? I can do that ride in about 30 minutes on my Giant Khan, which I've modified with a Shimano internal 3-speed hub.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #37 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Why not just bicycle from Jing'an Temple to Hongqiao Terminal 1? I can do that ride in about 30 minutes on my Giant Khan, which I've modified with a Shimano internal 3-speed hub.

cheers
    Where's the fun in that?! Taking things apart, trying to get them to fit together, figuring out where the wires go and trying to make sense of the Chinese instruction manual is the fun part! Being able to use it afterwards is just a bonus :)

Also, what does your 3speed hub do? (I'm a complete newbie)

Edit---

So I've been searching taobao with my non-existent Chinese and have found some interesting stuff.

Youe motors http://youemotor.taobao.com/
    Lots of slick looking electric motors for bicycles, seems like they're all made to run at pretty low power though and it also seems like these are the type of motor with plastic gears in them. I want the type that is just a huge magnet, like the scooter motors we posted further up.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4001462328
    This is nearly exactly what I'm after, it's the hub type and it will take 48v but I want to see if there are other options. Something made by a company I can a tleast find on google and read the spec sheet. Also something better looking would be nice.

If someone with better taobao skills than me can find some more I'd be veeerry thankful! I really want to build this thing now!

Another thing! any idea if it would be possible to modify the scooter wheels for use on a bicycle?
    Last edited by jetzki; 05-15-2011 at 06:54 PM.

8. #38 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by jetzki View Post
    any idea if it would be possible to modify the scooter wheels for use on a bicycle?
    Sounds like a lot of effort, but it might be easier to modify a bike frame to fit a scooter wheel!

9. #39 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I could widen the rear thingy where the wheel goes I guess and drill some holes for the spokes, or weld them on. Could be done, but sounds like far to big of a job and I doubt it would look very legal afterwards.

I'm thinking about building a double motor bicycle (front and back wheel), have read that you get very good speed and power (especially uphill) with 2 wheel drive.

10. #40 Re: Hybrid Bike 
    C-Moto Noob
    A hybrid bike is collaboration of the relieve and competence that both the hill and BMX motorbikes can provide. It is an advancement that has created motorbikes far more designed and innovative. In deciding on the right hybrid bike, you will need to analyze one. One factor that you need to do is to examine on the type of components used to know the functionality of the motorcycle.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast