Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 China's Taklimakan Desert Rally - bring sunscreen and beach umbrella 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Innovation comes through flogging your equipment against superior machinery. See what broke, what didn't, and to have the racers find out the design flaws quicker than the engineering department ever will.

Thankfully, the Taklimakan Rally is the perfect place for Chinese manufacturers to run with the big dogs - and this year they beat many of them!

For more than 10 days earlier this may, the Taklimakan Desert in Western China was the site of some pretty awesome racing. As far as I could tell, Shineray, Qingqi and XTR were represented here. (Last year, Jialing brought their JH600 bike to test in the rally - now that bike is available in China and many other countries)

If you browse these boards you'll notice some bikes that you've seen before. Supersignet's Shineray 200 (with massive 20 liter tank) and CrazyCarl's Qingqi 200 were well represented by factory backed teams. The star of the Chinese manufacturers was "XTR" with their XTR250F machine.

Let's take a look at some pics!

The Opening Ceremonies

One brave foreigner, Torben, took on all the other Chinese pilots. Entry fees are extremely reasonable when compared to those of the other international rallys.

There's a Chinese bike underneath all the accessories.

Shineray had many bikes there. THis is the one similar to Supersignet's ride. The front red numberplate/light looks pretty good on this bike.

Is this Hyosung 200cc made here in China? I'm not sure but they are readily available here.

The Qingqi 200cc, like CrazyCarl's bike I believe.

All of the above bikes were in the HT5 class. That's 249cc and below.
    This is strange though- this Shineray 200cc is grouped in the HT6 class (250-399cc). Maybe they are testing out a new larger displacement engine?

This Shineray has USD forks - hmmm interesting! Perhaps this will be a future model.

XTR250F (actually 230cc displacement) was screaming fast in the HT5 class.
    They certainly had a very good rider but this bike also looked very comfortable running with the imported machines. In many stages this XTR beat quite a few of the big displacement KTMs and Yamahas.

Here is the bike that finished SIXTH OVERALL in the final standings - HT508 machine.

BRAVO!!! I hope to get my hands on one of these XTR250Fs someday (oh, by the way, the engine is actually 230cc stock so that's why they run in the small displacement HT5 class)

XTR are from Galaxy Motos, in Foshan, GuangDong. Nice looking bikes in 150 or 250cc. 3 models, MX, Motard or Enduro.

www.galaxymotorcycle.net

I'll try to visit their factory in the coming weeks.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Now for some racing!

A Hyosung and Shineray battle in the desert...

XTR250F pilot coming in to a checkpoint.

Qingqi Tibetan Mastif

Shineray Team

These two pics show some of the speed of the XTR250F

Supersignet's Chinese cousin keeps the Shineray's throttle pinned.

Another pic of the upside down forks on one of the Shinerays...

XTR

This Shineray pilot is impressed with his ride!

Ripping through a sand rut

I do prefer forks with a larger tube diameter than this however. But I'm pretty sure this bike might actually be an old Jialing with a Shineray tank bolted on.

The golden helmet presented to daily stage winners

Shineray gets a bath in the desert

Class HT5 (249cc and under) 1st to 6th from left to right.
    1st - XTR250F
    2nd - Honda SL230
    3rd - Hyosung 200
    4th - Qingqi 200
    5th - Hyosung 150GY
    6th - Shineray XY150-17 (with USD forks)

by the way, there were some Shineray's displacing 250cc in the HT6 class (250-399cc). They finished 8th and 10th in that class. There was also a Hyosung 200cc that finished 5th in the HT6 class (I don't know why he was there, but that's what the final timesheet shows).

I heard from Brice that there may be a larger foreign contingent heading up to Taklimakan for the 2009 edition of this rally. Count me in! :thumbup:

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    If you are thirsty for more pics or to see the other competion on KTMs, Yamahas and the like, you can visit my original post here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337853

Thanks for the info about the XTRs Brice!

Nice series of pics Chris!

Looks really exciting.

We have to do it before it becomes a major event expensive and so tough that only pro riders can finish it!
    Last edited by Brice; 05-30-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Looks to be the case. I would love to ride and photograph it but I'm not sure if that would work. Even just photographing and doing some video would be fun work!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Regular
    Hi there.
    I am the "brave" foreigner who joined Taklimakan rally this year.
    Sorry, but I dont see myself as brave - just stupid and a bit crazy...:stupid:
    It dont make sence for an old guy (52) doing that kind af thing - but it was just great. I will be back in 2009 - for sure!!!!
    It was my first desert rally and I learned a lot - e.g. about driving in sand on a heavy motorcycle. KTM 625 SXC - around 180 kg with full 30 l tank.
    This rally is about sand, sand and more sand...... - fine as powder.
    Unfortunately I went down (again) and broke my cullor bone at day 10 - just 2 days before the goal.
    Be aware of, that in 2009 the rally will maybe be held in September - in May there is a lot of sand storms in this area. One stage was cancelled this year due to heavy sand storm.
    We had a great trip - my whife and I drove our support jeep from Beijing to Urumqi and back - total around 13.000 km.
    I will be great if more foreigeners participate next year - taking some focus away from me.... sometimes to many journalists around..he,he
    Best Regards
    Team Morfar (Morfar means Grand Daddy in Danish and I am a Grand Daddy)
    Torben

KTM 625 SXC
    Suzuki 250 RMX
    Honda Transalp XL600V
    Honda XL600
    In fact, I dont belong in this forum - I dont drive any Chinese motorcycle - yet......

Hello Morfar,

Glad to see you got my email and thank you for taking the time to come to see us at MCM!

Not having a Chinese bike in not a problem here (I don't have one yet), you just have to like them!

We'll be overwhelmed to ride with you next year. Our objective is to setup a lousy informal team of riders. Nothing big or pretentious just for the fun and the adventure. Some are young and healthy others like me are old farts but we share all the love of this country and its wonderful landscapes.

If you have time, it will be nice to tell us how you get in, the issues encountered and the few tips that help you during this adventure.

A pic of the Man!

Cheers
    Last edited by Brice; 05-30-2008 at 01:56 AM.

C-Moto Regular
    Hi.
    Thanks for the warm welcome.
    There is a big communication problem - while most staff from the organizer only speaks Chinese - I have a Chinese whife and she helped a lot and joined me on the hole trip. But everybody is so kind and problems were solved when they showed up.
    I will suggest you to take contact to a Chinese motorcycle producer and ask for support. There will be big focus on a foreigen team - driving local produced motorcycles. A 250 cc will be fine.
    Ship the motorcycles to Urumqi and rent a truck and a bus during the race.
    The truck can bring motorcycles from one special stage to another - dont drive the long transport stages - nobody does that.
    The special stages was totally around 1500 km this year.
    You will need a roadbook holder and a GPS.
    Good personal safety gear is a must.
    Again: maybe next year will be in September.
    I am also planning to join a rally in Mongolia in August next year.
    I will support and help you if I can - but take the challenge and go there.... it is just a great adventure.
    BR
    Morfar:thumbup:

Morfar!

It's great to see you here! 52 is not old and the world needs more brave/stupid-crazy individuals. It's makes people think and turns some heads! Glad to hear your wife helped you out. Lovely isn't it? :biggrin:

Were you really the only foreigner at the race? I think the only info on the Taklamakan Rally is in Chinese and no decent video coverage is available. Hmmm... makes me wat to go out there just to capture it. But then I'll fell like I should be riding. DOH!

We'll try to get a sponsored MyChinaMoto team in next years race. What was the total cost for you as a privateer? Were there any unexpected costs and what does the racing organization pay for/provide?

Much thanks for signing up! We've got a few members here from Kinojserklubben but haven't heard from then in a while.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast