Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Would I have to upjet? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Sorry if this has been covered before, I have looked for quite a while but couldn't see the answer, If I change the exhaust on my Pulse Adrenaline 125 to one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...T#ht_624wt_698
    and fit a 16 tooth front sprocket would I have to up jet the carb? if so what to? I would prefer to stay out of the dark art of carb fettling if I can help it, I just want to be able to sit at 60mph or so comfortably.
    Thanks all

2. #2 Re: Would I have to upjet? 
    Nice find for an exhaust. I would say that you need to increase the size of the main jet but since I don't know your bike can't suggest the size increase.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Would I have to upjet? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I've decided not to start messing with exhaust and jets, so the bike is in the shop having a 16 tooth front spocket fitted, I'll post about the difference when the snows gone and i've had a chance to test it

4. #4 Re: Would I have to upjet? 
    I think you have made the right decision. Expecting to cruise at 60 mph on a pretty standard 125cc machine that isn't totally rebuilt to race specs is a bit much. Yes, we could push even a Bantam 125 to those speeds with some work but you couldn't expect it to stay there and not blow up. The simplest answer for you, unless you are a rebuild enthusiast or wish to learn to be one, is move up when you can to at least a 250. A well tuned and modded 200cc Chinabike will get there and hold it but a 250cc is really the bottom-line if you are going places.

The snow still sitting in the UK? You up on the moors or something or in darkest Wales? Might have to get some studded tyres!

5. #5 Re: Would I have to upjet? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Mate I feel your pain! I'm down on the South Coast but its still too damned cold to ride. I rode to work yesterday and the bike ran like a dog to be honest, doesn't like the cold. As for the carb question, I've got an RMR200 with an aftermarket exhaust. According to the guy I got it from its running fine on standard jetting. To confirm after a 6 mile ride last night I pulled the plug, it was actually a little dry, black and sooty which I think means running rich. Before I mess with jets, I'm inexperienced like you, I'm just going to hit the workshop manual and lean out the mixture using the adjustments available on the carb. If that doesn't get me where I want to be then I'll mess with the next size up jets. I'm very interested on your experience with the 16 tooth sprocket when you get a chance to ride, I was thinking of going 16 or even 17 tooth on mine as I will only be riding on road.

6. #6 Re: Would I have to upjet? 
    chody,
    If you are running rich like your plug reading suggests, then you might want to go with a smaller size main jet. Maybe you need to put in a new plug and take another reading to make sure that it is running too rich? Also make sure the choke is all the way off.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #7 Re: Would I have to upjet? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Barnone, yeah I pulled the plug after my first run. The problem is I had run the bike and as it was so cold it cut out. Stupidly I used full choke again to restart and flooded it, which meant it took a couple of minutes to get it idling again. That may account for the rich state of the plug so I'm going to get a wire brush, clean it up properly then check it after a couple of runs. It's probably just fine and suffering from dumb arsed rider input:)

8. #8 Re: Would I have to upjet? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    If you are looking to cruise at 60mph why don't you consider the following

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4447270466

I've ordered the same exhaust ( waiting for delivery) and I'm thinking about going with the extra bore. Don't know will it make much of a difference .

Everyone says that the restriction is in the standard can - So that upgrade should be good.

9. #9 Re: Would I have to upjet? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by laurpat View Post
    If you are looking to cruise at 60mph why don't you consider the following

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4447270466

I've ordered the same exhaust ( waiting for delivery) and I'm thinking about going with the extra bore. Don't know will it make much of a difference .

Everyone says that the restriction is in the standard can - So that upgrade should be good.
    I might go for this, (after the MOT)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3356wt_932

I've had a chance to get out on the bike (with the 16 tooth front sprocket), it's a smidge quicker but not much, if I get my head down low and with a long stretch it just about gets to 60mph (indicated not verified yet - I'll get the gps onto that soon) there's no noticeable difference in the acceleration. Not the best mod ever but all done for under £30 I'm not complaining. I still think the best thing I have done is change the tyres to michelin's