Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Regal Raptor Cruiser – A lot of flash for a lot less cash 
    MyChineseMoto.jpg

Hi everyone. I got this bike about 3 months ago after reading some of the reviews on this forum and on the web. It’s the model dd250e-9b. I picked it up at the dealer on Pubei Road in Shanghai. I haven’t put many miles on it but hope to follow the lead of some of the riders on the forum here and take it outside the metropolitan area when the weather gets warmer.

When I go out I always get two questions. Is it a “Ha-Lee” and how much does it cost? People are surprised when I tell them how much it cost. They are even more shocked that I actually got a plate for it.

Some Pro’s about this bike:
    - Nice looking (at least I think so).
    - Comfortable seating with a plush leather seat.
    - Starts reliably even in cold weather.
    - Water cooled
    - Pretty good quality parts, for the most part.
    - Plenty of compatible aftermarket parts available since it’s modeled after the Honda Rebel.

The Con’s about this bike:
    - Not very nimble due to the longer rake (but this is with most cruiser type bikes). Front is very floppy and bike hard to steer at low speeds
    - Rather slow. My 125 cc Yamaha scooter is quicker to start than this bike.
    - Crappy mirrors, headlight, horn, and rubber grips (similar ones sell for less than 20 rmb on taobao). I’ve replaced them all already.
    - Vibrates quite a bit
    - The bike sometimes gets stuck in neutral. (I can’t shift to first. I have to roll the bike the back and forth a bit)
    - I get mistaken for a Shanghai motorcycle taxi if I stop and wait by the side of the road.
    - Cheesy Harley-esque logo on the gas tank (which I covered) and have gotten a lot fewer “ha-lee” questions since.
    - No fuel gauge

I’ve read on the forum that some people have experience loose bolts. So far the only loose bolt I have is on the front turn signal. The rest are still there and tight though I have a bottle of loc-tite and a new socket wrench set ready and waiting.

The new EFI models are out now and cost 1000 RMB more. I was told by the maintenance guy that this gives the bike better fuel efficiency and a smoother running engine but a little less power.

Even with the cons, however, this is a fun bike to ride being quite stable at higher speeds and able to readily absorb shocks on the road. Can’t wait to take it out of the city. See you guys on the road!

-Wrangler

P.S. On a side note, I highly recommend this horn. It is one of the loudest I've ever heard. It's a copy of the Siebel and Wolo Bad Boy air horns. You can get it on Taobao for 60 RMB

DSC01602.jpg

2. #2 Re: Regal Raptor Cruiser – A lot of flash for a lot less cash 
    Hi Wrangler,

Congrats on the new bike and thanks for taking the time to review it! Will be good to see how you get on with long term; ZMC888 didn't seem entirely happy with his Regal Raptor but then again his is the street bike.

When you're stuck in neutral, try pushing down or up on the gear lever while letting the clutch out gradually. Might work.

3. #3 Re: Regal Raptor Cruiser – A lot of flash for a lot less cash 
    Great review Wrangler , hope you will keep us updated with the long term performance and durability of the RR Cruiser.

I think it looks better than a Honda Rebel, and that horn is bound to turn a few heads

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #4 Re: Regal Raptor Cruiser – A lot of flash for a lot less cash 
    have you taken it out of the city yet? An eerie silence has fallen here... I'm considering buying one for an extended journey

5. #5 Re: Regal Raptor Cruiser – A lot of flash for a lot less cash 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thats really great review Wrangler, very nice write-up, and your stuff is looking awesome in black color, its chrome is too shiny and attractive also, hope you enjoying your ride.