Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 new guy with a few questions 
    C-Moto Noob
    i have rode bikes all my life and lived by the bigger is better rule most of it having cr500's and most recently a yamaha xt600 both bikes weighting in well over 300 lbs the xt probably close to 400 and after taking several beatings from both bikes i got ride of them. and have decided i want a small bike to just ease around in the woods on. im not mx ridder have no desire to jump at all period. i believe if fat guys were ment to fly we would just by a airplane. so now i have recently fell in love with the little pitster pro 230. i cant find much info about them anywere i talked to pitster today they told me that they are new only out about 9 mths and that the motor is pretty much a copy of the crf230 and topend parts will interchange. so now im really wanting one. if anyone has one can you post some pics for me to drool over till tax time. and also does the power compair to a xr250. thanks alot

2. #2 Re: new guy with a few questions 
    Quote Originally Posted by gomerkfx700 View Post
    the motor is pretty much a copy of the crf230 and topend parts will interchange. so now im really wanting one. if anyone has one can you post some pics for me to drool over till tax time. and also does the power compair to a xr250. thanks alot
    CRF230 is ME09.
    It's powered by a Honda MD33 clone. http://blog.inmycab.com/?p=761
    Don't know who made the engine in that bike yet. This "modern" (1st apper in 90's demstic model: SL230) clone quality is in that order Jialing > Loncin > Zongshen > ...
    Gossip in CHINA said IRAN miltary bike is powerded by Jialing 223. | The CR250 frame + Jialing 223: http://motorcycle.sh.cn/t_591662_1.htm

3. #3 Re: new guy with a few questions 
    C-Moto Noob
    So the motor is diffrent from the crf from what I can tell as far as the model but I can't really tell much about that site on my phone. Will the parts still interchange or is that a lost cause I was really hoping to be able to use a standard bore higher comp. Crf piston and bigger cam in the bike for a little more umph. Not really interested in a all out big bore engine build or anything my thoughts was to get the power up some to get a decent power to weight ratio. I know it will never have the brute power of the big xt but with the smaller size and nimbleness of a bike the pitsters size I would be real happy

4. #4 Re: new guy with a few questions 
    Although Hi-comp kit fits BUT that engine is chinese made , the result
    The FUN part is riding, NOT a bike w/ problems that create by ur self .
    IF it's a beated up/ USED, that's another story: There's nothing to lose if s...ed the "FiX".

5. #5 Re: new guy with a few questions 
    C-Moto Noob
    I see were your coming from on that part but I'm a big guy and would need some extra power for my size. Maybe someone else will try it before I do so we can see if it holds up.

6. #6 Re: new guy with a few questions 
    Hi Gomer,

I assume you're talking about the Pitster Pro XTR230? It's basically the same bike as the Galaxy XTR230, you can find plenty of info on this site about that bike. I will surmise some of the engine info I found ....

....motor is made by Loncin, and the design is based on a Honda. Exactly which Honda is a long story that started almost four decades ago when they introduced the 90cc Benly CB/SL series. Over the years, the same basic design was bored and stroked across the various CB ATC XL XR SL TLR FTR CRF families of 125/185/200/230cc motors. So far, I've found five models that are the likely "inspiration" behind the XTR powerplant. Based on designs from Honda Brazil, the FTR223, SL230, CB223, XL230 and CRF230 all share the 65.5×66.2 bore and stroke of the XTR, but depending on year and location, some are 6 speed and some are 5.

A little more digging and I found the SL230, FTR223 and XL230 share the same engine ID of MD33E, the CRF230 is ME09E. The FTR223 and XL230 have the same 5 speed gearbox so I believe these are the closest match to the XTR engine....

There are a few (very few) posts on the internet about performance tuning, but the engine is already pretty maxed out in its current form. If you're over 200lbs, I don't think you're going to like the XTR too much, better to look at a used japanese machine.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: new guy with a few questions 
    C-Moto Noob
    well im way over 200 just a fuz over 300. but the kinda ridding i do i really dont need that much power. i dont ride motorcross i only ride low speed trails. with mostly utility atvs. my last bike the xt600 i had it geared lower then any bike ive ever seen. it was low enough that you could start it drop the clutch in first and walk beside it while it was ideling. had to run 3rd gear mostly on the trails first was only used to walk it threw bad spots. hardly ever going over 25mph unless just playing on the street. the reason im looking for a cheap bike is i have a brand new brute force 750 but i have a bad back and i cant ride it very far about 40 miles is it but i have rode the ole xt up to 90 miles in the woods a day. what im gettin at is my back doesnt hurt me ridding a bike but the shear weight of the big thumper gets me down if i drop it trying to get it back upright. and i totally hate the new 450s ive rode the 2stroke like power of them is to me worse then having a underpowered bike in imho. what about the watercooled 250 is it any better.