Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all,

I'm trying to research the possibility of driving into China with my 37 years old 50cc (actually 49cc, to be precise) moped. This bike has a two stroke engine and is registered and insured in my home country (Finland) where I'm not required to have a motorbike licence for driving it. I do have a car driving licence, however. Anyway, as I've read that apparently you don't need a licence in China driving <50cc bikes I thought maybe it could be possible to drive my moped in China without dealing with all that bureaucracy / guides / costs involved when trying to get a foreign registered vehicle into China?

There are many things that are still unclear to me and it would be great if anyone could help! Although a licence is not required, do you you still need local plates for <50cc bikes? What about two stroke engines - allowed in China? Different regulations in different administrative divisions and cities?

Anyone want to speculate if I could get my bike into China legally thru border from Russia? :D

2. #2 Re: Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_eric View Post
    ...'ve read that apparently you don't need a licence in China driving <50cc bikes I thought maybe it could be possible to drive my moped in China without dealing with all that bureaucracy / guides / costs involved when trying to get a foreign registered vehicle into China?...
    By law <50cc require a "F" chinese licence / The moped needs registered (blue plate) but NObody cares
    Next thing would it "through" Russia/ Chinese border. If had pedal, they may think that's a bicycle. But an oldie often NOT in TOP working order, would it last to Russia / Chinese border that require many hours on road still a ???
    4-stroke moped that goes to Lhasa via Sichuan Tibet Highway (G318)
    http://motorcycle.sh.cn/viewthread.p...=110851&page=1 | http://motorcycle.sh.cn/viewthread.p...=188840&page=2
    Last edited by humanbeing; 12-15-2010 at 12:37 AM.

3. #3 Re: Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    Hhhmmm???

IMHO even a 50cc(49cc) bike with foreign plates drive'n by a foreigner into China, is risky. I don't see any differences between trying to ride a moped into China then a BMW or KTM. Most of the time they don't make it in without either aaaa lllllloooottttt of prep. or money. For us that live here in China know that going out of China is often a one way trip, bringing the bike back is very difficult. The only advantage would be the fact that it is a a Moped amongst thousands of other moped that are already everywhere, you would virtually blend in. The border crossing is still a problem given you want to ride in.... What you want to do is complicated in China. It has been done in past and it will be done again, just take it one crossing at a time (and practice some Chinese)....

Oh and NO two strokes... there has been laws made against them for sometime.... even though they are everywhere( I am sure some provinces or areas allow them.....). The border guards might not even know its a two stroke so its not really a big deal, unless you are going to try to register it or something.

But then again it would not be called an adventure if it was easy.....

4. #4 Re: Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    By law <50cc require a "F" chinese licence / The moped needs registered (blue plate) but NObody cares
    What's a "F" licence? And what about blue plates - as with military vehicles or imported vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers
    Oh and NO two strokes... there has been laws made against them for sometime.... even though they are everywhere( I am sure some provinces or areas allow them.....). The border guards might not even know its a two stroke so its not really a big deal, unless you are going to try to register it or something.
    This is a big problem considering my plans but well, there are a multitude of problems with my plans.

Maybe I will just have to try it and see what happens. Russia / Ex- Soviet Uninion shouldn't be a problem (legally), anyway. Worst case scenario would be having to leave my moped somewhere in between China and Kazakhstan, which would suck of course,

"But then again it would not be called an adventure if it was easy..... "

5. #5 Re: Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    What's a "F" licence? And what about blue plates - as with military vehicles or imported vehicles?
    A "F" license is a driving license foe small motorbikes. It doesn't state a value for cc or kW, but may mean up to 200 or 250cc bikes.
    The blue plate on a bike means the engine is smaller than 50cc.

This is a big problem considering my plans but well, there are a multitude of problems with my plans.

Maybe I will just have to try it and see what happens. Russia / Ex- Soviet Uninion shouldn't be a problem (legally), anyway. Worst case scenario would be having to leave my moped somewhere in between China and Kazakhstan, which would suck of course,

"But then again it would not be called an adventure if it was easy..... "
    Two strokers are more or less not allowed anymore in China, but ... TIC
    Entering on foreign registered bike is a headache as such, on a two stroker, hmmm.
    Maybe you find some guy to borrow a plate of a small bike from and ask him to ride your bike across the border.
    It may work if there is small bike border traffic as there is in the South.
    All this only if the 37 year old bunch of metal can make it all the way there
    Andy

6. #6 Re: Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    A "F" license is a driving license foe small motorbikes. It doesn't state a value for cc or kW, but may mean up to 200 or 250cc bikes.
    The blue plate on a bike means the engine is smaller than 50cc.
    It's 50cc max, but many shops have some 125cc scoots that can be registered under 50cc...

Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    All this only if the 37 year old bunch of metal can make it all the way there
    LOL, yea, honestly, even if it's been kept in mint condition and has 100km on the clock, I wouldn't try it, where are u gonna get parts?

U'll break a piston skirt on day five, 3 burps of white smoke and that'll be it, get some cash ready for the taxi home.

Such a trip on a moped is an epic thing to do, and I salute u for just considering it, but it warrants getting a brand new top of the line moped and a truck load of spare parts first...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

7. #7 Re: Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    WTF? Seriously, look at the post date on this thread... it's from 2010.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    WTF? Seriously, look at the post date on this thread... it's from 2010.
    Lol my mental health is deteriorating I fear.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

9. #9 Re: Riding into china with a 50cc moped in foreign plates 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    Lol my mental health is deteriorating I fear.
    LOL, you and me both...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso