Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    Nice work and pics, thank you. Just did my rear sprocket so don't feel like touching spanners for a while but this will help me when I do the next Kinlon overhaul. looks like lots of grease may be needed! Do you just use ordinary automotive grease or is it something special because of the rubber(?) seals?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #12 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    Great write up and pics . The grease ritual will greatly increase the life of your bike and far too many people overlook the important bits that you show in your write up.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #13 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Jape, I just use an automotive grease, nothing fancy. Movement in these points is minimal, but packing the bearings will help keep out moisture and water.
    ChinaV, this is my first attempt at doing something like this, the pictures and write-up. Usually I just wrench and when I am done I remember I should have taken some pictures. I appreciate others that have given me information which may help me make a decision on something so I thought I would try and give something back. If any thing helps others so much the better.

4. #14 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Here are some pics of the headset bearings that I did today.

Not overly impressed with the headlight mounting system. Needs a well built assembly to carry everything properly. Two small mounts on the fork legs don't cut it.
    IMG_1751.jpg

Fork legs out. Ready to take out the head set
    IMG_1752.jpg

Nice tapered roller bearings. A surprise, there is grease in the bearings.
    IMG_1754.jpg

There was enough excess grease in the steering tube that I was able to use and pack a little more in the top bearing. Very sticky stuff, almost like a wheel bearing grease.
    IMG_1755.jpg

Bottom bearing. Not as much but still good. I put some more of my own on this and then reassembled everything.
    IMG_1753.jpg

Total time to do this was about 2 hours. Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't do the headset bearings. They have put enough grease in there for most everyday riding. Unless you are doing lots of off road and mud and water and then that type of riding requires constant maintenance anyhow.
    While I had the headlight assembly partly disassembled I pulled all the connectors (one at a time though) and put di-electric grease in each one. I'll do that to the rest of the electrical connectors before putting the tank, seat and side covers back on.

5. #15 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Here is the front end assembled again.
    What I noticed when I first put the front wheel on out of the crate and when I put it on again today is that the wheel seems to not be centered. I measured each side and it seems that the wheel is about 5mm to the left (looking at this picture from the front). I looked at the wheel spacer and the speedo drive and brake caliper and everything is mount correctly. Any one else notice this on their Qingqi bikes? I have an '80's Honda that is off a little also, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. Just curious if this is common on different bikes.

IMG_1757.jpg

6. #16 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    I always had knowledgeable mates around years ago when I last did any serious mechanical work on bikes and I just cannot remember, do you have to have spring compressors to do the work on back springs and forks (all of which were different back then) or can you just undo them when the wheels are off?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

7. #17 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    Thanks for taking the time to write all this up Spook, will probably come in very handy for a lot of mychinamoto members and lurkers alike!

Looking at your pictures i'm starting to really miss my garage...

Jape, i can only speak for the Galaxy XTR but there are no compressors needed to pull the shock out. Just put the bike on a stand and let the swingarm sag naturally, then the shock comes right out.

8. #18 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Excellent pictures spook! Good to see that they really do use needle bearings at all the swingarm pivot points as well... I believe this is a rarity with the chinese bikes as I think most just use a greased bushing. Testament to the quality of the Konker/Q Link series of motorcycles. The welds are very nice on the Konker, it's a very well put together motorcycle. Your daughter is going to love it!

Cheers,
    Stew

P.S. Guess this means I have to tear the swingarm off my KLR? Darn and double darn! :)

9. #19 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Just finishing up a few things. Went through all the electrical wiring and put di-electric grease on all the connectors. Rerouted a couple of wires and put a few extra zip ties in different places.

Here is my first mod. Not fond of glass fuses on a dirt bike so I went from this-
    IMG_1758.jpg

To this. A modern bladed fuse. All rubber enclosed so good at keeping the dirt out. Glass fuse was 15amp
    IMG_1759.jpg

Here is the inlet side of the exhaust pipe. You can see that catalytic converter stuff in there. Anyone know what that stuff is make of? Any reason why a long rod and big hammer wouldn't get rid of it? Something to think about for the future.
    IMG_1763.jpg

Here is the exhaust clamp and mounting bolts. Heat resistant type of material on either side of the rubber mounts. Nice touch. I liberally coated the exhaust clamp with anti-seize. If you don't two years down the road the bolts will break when you have to take the exhaust off.
    IMG_1765.jpg
    1976 Honda GL1000 (work in progress)
    1983 Honda CX650E
    1997 Kawasaki KLR 650
    2010 Konker SM200

10. #20 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    In the course of going over this bike I discover the emissions stuff. So I am pondering; do I take the stuff of now, or do I wait until spring and ride the bike a bit, getting to know it before doing anything with this. I am thinking the same thing about the stuff in the exhaust pipe. The mechanic in me says go for it, the practical side of me says ride it a bit first before mucking it up. What do you all think?

IMG_1723.jpg

And finally, all back together again. It even runs. I think my daughter can breath a bit easier now. I don't think she was real sure about all of this. Of course I assured her that I knew what I was doing.
    IMG_1766.jpg

So far I like what I see in this small machine. Fit and finish is good for the most part. The fun thing about these kinds of bikes (dual sport) is that one can always modify to your hearts content. I know on my KLR it has received a few mods whether it needed it or not. The only thing with this one is that now I'll have to ask if I can change somthing.
    Could be a long winter. O well, I can always start taking my KLR apart!
    1976 Honda GL1000 (work in progress)
    1983 Honda CX650E
    1997 Kawasaki KLR 650
    2010 Konker SM200

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast