Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well, I went for my first ride today on this motorcycle.
    It has been thawing like crazy the last three days in Canuck land, unusual for us this early. Thawed enough for the gravel to become exposed on the road in places. Then last night it started to freeze again and stayed frozen all day today. This set up the road in prime condition, no snow, no mud, but good traction. I wrapped up in all my snowmobile gear and carefully rode out the 200 meters of my driveway on ice until I got to the gravel road. I had about 1.5km of frozen gravel to ride on so I went back and forth until I got cold and put 10 km on my (I mean my daughters) bike. At least I got the whole engine and transmission good and warm. I think this is going to be just perfect for my daughter to learn on.
    1976 Honda GL1000 (work in progress)
    1983 Honda CX650E
    1997 Kawasaki KLR 650
    2010 Konker SM200

2. #32 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    It is truly gratifying to see a father taking so much care and concern for his daughter's motorcycle .... of course it has nothing to do with the fact the Kwakker is too big and heavy and the Honda is too big and heavy and the little Konker has been sitting there looking at you for weeks just begging for a little rip up and down the gravel? I hope your daughter is at home and the thaw sets in properly soon and that pops has bought her all the gear so SHE might get a go before too long? Photos required when/if this ever happens mate.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #33 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Of course, it is ALL about safety! I mean, I needed to test the bike to make sure that it was ridable. And then there was my safety; I needed a motorcycle riding fix and your right, all the others were too heavy, so the only one left was a light and nimble china bike. Fortunatly my daughter was away playing basketball otherwise I might not have been able to do this.
    1983 Honda CX650E
    1997 Kawasaki KLR 650
    2010 Konker SM200

4. #34 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Senior
    Great write-up Spook thanks for all the great info you provided. I know I will find it useful for my XF200. Thanks again and great job.

5. #35 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Noob
    great pics of the shock. I have a leaking monoshock on my qlink xp 200. how hard was it to take the mono off and put back on?. qlink told me these were oil only shocks not air or nitrogen. but please tell me about that air tap on the side of the shock at the top what is that there for. did your shock have it?

I have the tech manual and it states special tools and technique needed. but in the manual it looks simple to me. any help would be great

6. #36 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    tidefan;
    Easy to take the shock off. Just unbolt the top and bottom mounts. May need to see if it will come out from below the swing arm. Once it is off, then you will need a spring compressor to take the spring off of the shock body if you are just going to replace the shock. This can me more problematic if you don't have the right tools. Maybe just buying a replacement shock as a whole unit might be better.
    I never did anything with the valve in the shock, but I believe that it could be used to put air in it to stiffen it up. But you also need the correct type of pump to keep releasing too much air when removing the air chuck.
    1983 Honda CX650E
    1997 Kawasaki KLR 650
    2010 Konker SM200

7. #37 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    Should be air in the shock, any mountain bike pump for suspension will do. Forchetto talks about it here.

Sure do miss that guy.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #38 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Sure do miss that guy.

Same here. He's pretty popular over at this Triumph forum; http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk...forchetto.html

9. #39 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Finally got a few km on the bike. Changed oil at 130km. Took the oil screen off the bottom of the engine. Very clean. Took the oil filter apart. As you can see only a few flecks of metal particles.

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

Still have some snow here, but at least the roads are bare and dry. Still cool, only +5C or +6C high during the day.
    Got my daughter on the bike a couple of days ago. Her second day of training, she finally got into third gear. Progressing well. Only a couple of hours practice under her belt, but I think she will get the hang of it soon. Used to riding quads which have automatic clutches, so the transistion to a manual is new. How do you let out the clutch without stalling?
    1983 Honda CX650E
    1997 Kawasaki KLR 650
    2010 Konker SM200

10. #40 Re: Maintenance On New Konker SM200 (Qingqi, Qlink) 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    Used to riding quads which have automatic clutches, so the transistion to a manual is new. How do you let out the clutch without stalling?
    As you're releasing the clutch with left hand, twist the throttle with the right hand. Practice 'rocking' the bike back and forth an inch or so. When the bike starts to move, you can release the clutch completely. Practice until you know how fast to 'release' and 'throttle' respectively.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast