Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tools (in China) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Being relatively new to motorcycles, I'm going to ask a newbie question: "What basic set of tools does one need?"

Where did you guys get your tools from?
    Where to buy tools in China (taobao, B&Q)?
    Of course which specific tools?
    Any set of tools you guys would recommend buying?

Let's just say I currently possess: 1 crappy cross screw driver, a heavy chainlock that served me as a hammer last week, lighters, knives, forks, spoons. NOTHING

2. #2 Re: Tools (in China) 
    Hi Barry,

Check out this thread I started. You can find just about everything in a tool market or on Taobao. B&Q is overpriced IMHO.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Tools (in China) 
    C-Moto Guru
    My bad, just ran into it after I had posted. Shouldn't you be in your garage or out on the street with your new toy!

4. #4 Re: Tools (in China) 
    Most new bike had some crappy "gift" tool kit, just change it to REAL thingy for basic maintenance.

5. #5 Re: Tools (in China) 
    TAOBAO TAOBAO TAOBAO

6. #6 Re: Tools (in China) 
    C-Moto Senior
    not sure about suppliers in your area as I'm in the uk! However for my part something someone told me early on has been really useful to me so I'll pass it on! Don't rush out and buy a cheap full workshop on day one, its a false economy, carefully plan the specific jobs you are going to do and buy the specific, good quality, tools you need to do the jobs. That way you'll spread the cost and slowly build up a toolkit that will last you a lifetime.

7. #7 Re: Tools (in China) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by choldy View Post
    Don't rush out and buy a cheap full workshop on day one, its a false economy, carefully plan the specific jobs you are going to do and buy the specific, good quality, tools you need to do the jobs. That way you'll spread the cost and slowly build up a toolkit that will last you a lifetime.
    Excellent advice, though for someone like Barry without a single tool there are advantages to getting a tailored set. Here in CHina, SATA has a couple of automotive sets that cover a lot of ground with a lot of quality for a decent price. The basic kit shown here can be had for a bit north of 500 RMB. Excellent sockets, box wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers with full range of bits including Torx and even two spark plug sockets. And a box to keep it all under control for those of us without a garage...

Here's that kit in Taobao for under 500 rmb.

Beware: There are lots of really crappy and counterfeit tools in China. You get what you pay for.

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 12-29-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: adding taobao link
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Tools (in China) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Excellent advice, though for someone like Barry without a single tool there are advantages to getting a tailored set. Here in CHina, SATA has a couple of automotive sets that cover a lot of ground with a lot of quality for a decent price. The basic kit shown here can be had for a bit north of 500 RMB. Excellent sockets, box wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers with full range of bits including Torx and even two spark plug sockets. And a box to keep it all under control for those of us without a garage...

Here's that kit in Taobao for under 500 rmb.

Beware: There are lots of really crappy and counterfeit tools in China. You get what you pay for.

cheers
    Thanks for linking the Sata set euphonius! I had been looking for it a bit on taobao, but typing just "sata" will give too many results and my chinese sucks (good at just clicking however). After looking at ChinaV's thread I've been thinking, do I really need wrenches with a box-end side? Or would it be more useful having a set of double open-end wrenches, one wrench covering two sizes is more useful on the road I would think?

Furthermore, what's the smallest and largest size of wrench used for (average) motorcycle? Same sizes for sockets?

Thanks,
    Barry

PS: Thanks for the wise advice choldy.

9. #9 Re: Tools (in China) 
    All bikes are a bit different but at some point or other you will need a ring-spanner for access where the open-end won't go. And vice versa, the open end sometimes will fit in where a closed spanner hasn't room to drop down over a bolt or nut.

Thus I like a full set, 6mm to 19 mm, open one end and ring the other with doubling up on some sizes for those odd occasions when you need two. Thats why it is an idea to field strip your own machine at some point so you learn which ones are absolutely essential.

The rear axle-shaft head and nut are probably the largest, on mine they are I think 19mm and 21mm so again I had to find a couple of good sockets for that job. You could do with a torque wrench, micrometer type, as well. (Some cheap ones of them are good enough, I got mine for $30 and it is fine whereas professional ones are a few hundred!)

Sockets are excellent in most sizes but won't do everything and do need a ratchet and bar most times, (you can also get a double ended 19/21mm for the rear axle) but remember you will maybe need a couple of 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2 inch adaptors depending on the original kit size, and maybe an extension arm ....

Same with allen keys, I have a full set, or so I thought, but still found I need to buy a couple of extra sizes for my bike.

And with screwdrivers, I need two different size flats and two phillips heads but again, check on your own bike. One of the phillips heads is a short shaft for getting under the petrol tank shrouds.

That set shown above looks great, I would get that then strip the bike one weekend (always a good idea anyway) while replacing suss bolts with high tensile and loctiting the rest. That is a good time to start counting which and how many spare nuts and bolts to pack as well. Then you will also find which extra tools it is essential you get! Like a circlip or spring-clip tool, needle-nosed pliers, side-cutters and more.

It is also bloody stupid taking tools you will never need but certainly a waste of time not taking the lot you DO need with you everywhere, well packed they are weighty but not too large. The only time I don't take them all is trips under 20 odd km when I can get a lift home for the car and trailer! And even then I always take a good knife and a leatherman type multi-tool.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #10 Re: Tools (in China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    do I really need wrenches with a box-end side? Or would it be more useful having a set of double open-end wrenches, one wrench covering two sizes is more useful on the road I would think?
    Depends what you want them for. For working in the garage i much prefer using the closed end of a spanner. It feels more stable and doesn't slip off when you apply force. For travel tools sure its better to to have two sizes per spanner as you save half the weight. Me i only have individual spanners, i put up with the weight when on tour...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast