Afternoon Shanghai peoples,

I would like to get fully legal for riding in Shanghai and I would like as much of your up-to-date wisdom on this subject as possible on:

1) how to register a bike for inside the inner ring and
2) how to purchase a number plate that will not cost the ¥46,000 that I was quoted yesterday by the Regal Raptor sales woman.

I have my Chinese bike licence albeit registered in Hangzhou as my visa is registered there, but I have a Shanghai residence permit.

I also understand that there are two schools of thought on this forum as to getting legal or not. My foremost requirement to get legal is because I cannot afford to get kicked out of China and since I am self employed I cannot really afford one of these 10-15 day stints in the clanger either. The other reason is that I have a bunch of motorbiking mates in Shenzhen and we have been planning a 3-4 week trip into the depths of South East Asia sometime in the next 18 months and in order to get out of China and then back in again any bike I use will need to be 100% legit, plates, tax, insurance the lot.

I realise the plate will probably cost >¥30K, but ¥46K seems pretty damn punchy?

If all this has already been covered in the forum my apologies, I just couldn't find it on searching.

Thanks in advance.