Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Afternoon Shanghai peoples,

I would like to get fully legal for riding in Shanghai and I would like as much of your up-to-date wisdom on this subject as possible on:

1) how to register a bike for inside the inner ring and
    2) how to purchase a number plate that will not cost the ¥46,000 that I was quoted yesterday by the Regal Raptor sales woman.

I have my Chinese bike licence albeit registered in Hangzhou as my visa is registered there, but I have a Shanghai residence permit.

I also understand that there are two schools of thought on this forum as to getting legal or not. My foremost requirement to get legal is because I cannot afford to get kicked out of China and since I am self employed I cannot really afford one of these 10-15 day stints in the clanger either. The other reason is that I have a bunch of motorbiking mates in Shenzhen and we have been planning a 3-4 week trip into the depths of South East Asia sometime in the next 18 months and in order to get out of China and then back in again any bike I use will need to be 100% legit, plates, tax, insurance the lot.

I realise the plate will probably cost >¥30K, but ¥46K seems pretty damn punchy?

If all this has already been covered in the forum my apologies, I just couldn't find it on searching.

Thanks in advance.

2. #2 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Bad news, that woman isn't lying to you. It really does cost that much get legal inside the inner ring.
    Good news, you wouldn't be going to jail just for riding an illegal bike as long as your have a real driving license.

Have a look at this thread, it's a great place to start!

3. #3 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Most Shanghainese don't live inside of inner ring. It is smallish and crowded. We motorcyclists outside of it don't usually venture into it on our bikes. The best mode of transporation for inner ring is subway. If you don't live inside of it, you may opt for the Shanghai Yellow C plate, which is less than 10k RMB I believe. As long as you stay outside of the inner ring, it works fine. It's legal, not too expensive and making no difference once you get outside of Shanghai.

4. #4 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would opt for the 40k+ option if it were just a straight fee. But it's not, unless the government decides to change the policy. Rather, believe it or not, it's a liquid commodity that can be bought and sold and, due to scarcity, is appreciating in value. What is 46k now was 42k less than a year ago. You own that plate and you can dispose of it later on the free market for whatever the market will bear. Makes the pain a bit less painful.

But there have been scares -- big ones. Just last month, people were reporting paying only 10,000+ for a car plate, and by one unconfirmed report someone paid 3k for a bike plate. This sent shudders through Shanghai, which up to now has been the only major Chinese city to limit plates through monthly auctions of a limited amount of new plates. Did the sudden drop in price mean Shanghai was dropping these controls, which, though onerous for people of limited means, are the main explanation why Shanghai's streets have such (relatively) light traffic. The latest reports were that it was a computer glitch! And a few lucky folks scored big time, unless the city comes after them to make the mistake right. These recent reports say there's no change to the auction system.

The unhappy part for motorcycles is that there is no monthly auction of motorcycle plates, so unless the government releases a new tranche, their number is capped at a fixed number. Worse yet, a motorcycle plate can be transferred to a car, while a car plate cannot be transfered to a bike. So the number of motorbike plates is probably actually shrinking, not rising.

So Shanghai is a mixed blessing indeed. Unlike many cities, you at least can get legal on a bike -- but it'll cost you. However, a big chunk of that cost can presumably be recovered if you sell or retire your bike or take it out of Shanghai and register elsewhere. Surely someone in the market will want to buy your plates from you.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Bike plates, yellow HU A's are no longer produced... in other words there are no NEW plates... What ever is out there is out there and when someone sells their plate then you can buy that plates and it is renewed under the new name and the plate is then good as NEW. It is not good for 11 years. This happens quite often, It usually takes about 1-2 months to find and complete the transfer (although some have done it quicker). Most dealers use a "fixer" to arrange the plates on their behalf so some money goes to this service and that understandable. Bigger dealers like Harley have people in their organization to do this for the customers, but smaller dealers use outside help.... either way the plates are expensive. Cars have new plates coming every month and so you see a flux in price and as stated earlier last month it was only 10,000 rmb for a CAR, but bikes did not change unless we are talking up in price. 4 years ago they were only 25-30,000 and not they are 46,000. The plates are bought and sold quite easily and often you will make money on the sale of the plate so the price is negligible. If you want to be legal its the only way....

To get an "A" plates you must have a central Hukou (from a district within the Inner and something Middle ring) However I have customers and friends who have used other Shanghai district and still been able to buy the coveted HU A (not sure the process).

The sudden drop in the price is due to the fact that 2 months ago plates sales where very low and so the market price this month plumeted and will now steeply climb up as we approach the Chinese new year.... Nothing say happy new year then a new car. I bought a plate for 12,000 rmb and I now have three months to buy new car to put it on... then wait and sell my old car and plate at the usual rate

6. #6 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    C-Moto Noob
    I would like to get some advice about how to get the Shanghai inner plate. I have a cj sidecar, plate from Nantong, I am a foreigner with residence permit in Shanghai. If anyone can be a bit specific about the details, i will appreciate. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    Bike plates, yellow HU A's are no longer produced... in other words there are no NEW plates... What ever is out there is out there and when someone sells their plate then you can buy that plates and it is renewed under the new name and the plate is then good as NEW. It is not good for 11 years. This happens quite often, It usually takes about 1-2 months to find and complete the transfer (although some have done it quicker). Most dealers use a "fixer" to arrange the plates on their behalf so some money goes to this service and that understandable. Bigger dealers like Harley have people in their organization to do this for the customers, but smaller dealers use outside help.... either way the plates are expensive. Cars have new plates coming every month and so you see a flux in price and as stated earlier last month it was only 10,000 rmb for a CAR, but bikes did not change unless we are talking up in price. 4 years ago they were only 25-30,000 and not they are 46,000. The plates are bought and sold quite easily and often you will make money on the sale of the plate so the price is negligible. If you want to be legal its the only way....

To get an "A" plates you must have a central Hukou (from a district within the Inner and something Middle ring) However I have customers and friends who have used other Shanghai district and still been able to buy the coveted HU A (not sure the process).

The sudden drop in the price is due to the fact that 2 months ago plates sales where very low and so the market price this month plumeted and will now steeply climb up as we approach the Chinese new year.... Nothing say happy new year then a new car. I bought a plate for 12,000 rmb and I now have three months to buy new car to put it on... then wait and sell my old car and plate at the usual rate

7. #7 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome to the forum, Dil.

Most if not all of the info you need is in this forum. As Felix noted, do have a look at this thread, it's a great place to start!

It'll be interesting to see how far you get with a CJ750. I've not heard of anyone getting a proper 沪A plate for a CJ in recent years, but it's probably doable.

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    :

You actually got at 12k plate? Awesome!

I've been thinking about this. If I didn't need to ride my motorcycle within the inner ring for daily transportation, it would be easier just to store the non-shanghai plated bike outside the inner ring and ride it whenever I wanted to. Kind of a hassle but could afford to get a nicer bike for what I spend on a plate.

9. #9 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Look,
    guys ride outside plated motorcycles all the time in Shanghai, its not like you will be driving ALL the time downtown. You would probably only get a ticket once and awhile and so it will still cost you less then the cost of a A plate.... The only downside I see and feel myself is the frustration in the delays outside plates cause when stopped (I have had police formalities can take as long a 30 mins.) The max fine in shanghai is 200rmb but often a quick chat with the officer in NICE CALM tones (in Chinese) and sometimes you can get the officer to give you a less fine. On average i usually get a 50rmb fine. I don't think you need to park it outside the city, parking in the city is fine, you will only get a ticket if you get stopped while driving....

Please Please Please avoid using cloned plates or fake plates... it only makes thing worse.....

10. #10 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Thanks very much all for the input. I think I am going to buy in for the Regal Raptor DD250 G with the single shock and 28ltr tank. I will then probably do a full rebuild using loctite and rubber backing to make it a smother longer lasting ride as per ZMC888's suggestions. The plan, expensive as it is will be to get the bike fully legal in down town Shanghai under my name as Euphoniuos has kindly laid out the process in all it's miserable convoluted glory. I would like to get this all done and dusted before April so as the weather starts warming our toes I can hit the road for some longer rides.

Would also like to meet some of you Shanghai bikers so if anyone is keen for a beer in Puxi anytime then let me know. I can even bring a map of China to drool over and make plans!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast