Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Last I checked these were 17000. For foreigners however it depends upon your Visa. When I asked about this I was told that although I lived in Minhang, and worked in Songjiang, because my Visa was issued by a company in Pudong I was SOL for getting cheaper plates. Someone PLEASE prove me wrong on this, as I would happily get a C-Z plate for a new bike.
    Motorcycles with engine size larger than 50cc require yellow plates, including yellow A, B and C. Only bikes of less than or equal to 50cc are eligible for those plates mentioned here costing around 17000, which are blue A with similar access coverage of city roads as yellow A and B. As far as your situation goes, since Minhang, Songjiang and Pudong all three allow yellow C plate, you are in luck for the cheaper yellow c option, which costs around 5000. (I am pretty sure about yellow C and Pudong, of which I am a resident.) I believe you go to where your residency is located for your plate, not where your visa was issued or which company your visa was sponsored by.
    Hope this helps. Cheers!
    Last edited by milton; 02-13-2011 at 11:14 PM.

2. #22 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Motorcycles with engine size larger than 50cc require yellow plates, including yellow A, B and C. Only bikes of less than or equal to 50cc are eligible for those plates mentioned here costing around 17000, which are blue A with similar access coverage of city roads as yellow A and B. As far as your situation goes, since Minhang, Songjiang and Pudong all three allow yellow C plate, you are in luck for the cheaper yellow c option, which costs around 5000. (I am pretty sure about yellow C and Pudong, of which I am a resident.) I believe you go to where your residence is located for your plate, not where your visa was issued or which company your visa was sponsored by.
    Hope this helps. Cheers!
    Holy cats! I really had no idea about this. Very much appreciated information that is going to change my plans considerably in the near future. I'll have to check this out again during the week with the local authorities. I can't help but wonder why more people aren't doing this rather than risking fines and putting up with the inconvenience at local petrol stations.

3. #23 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Holy cats! I really had no idea about this. Very much appreciated information that is going to change my plans considerably in the near future. I'll have to check this out again during the week with the local authorities. I can't help but wonder why more people aren't doing this rather than risking fines and putting up with the inconvenience at local petrol stations.
    A reminder: Yellow c can only enter those districts that allow it, which pretty much rules out almost all districts inside the inner ring. Yellow A and B can do more, but with many off-limit roads as well. There is an excellent Google map that marks those forbidden roads: http://ditu.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6&ll=31.237756
    Last edited by milton; 02-14-2011 at 04:52 AM.

4. #24 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    ...There is an excellent Google map that marks those forbidden roads: http://ditu.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6&ll=31.237756
    Excellent map, Milton! Very useful.

As for our new friend dewsnap in Minhang, there should be no problem using the yellow "no access inner ring" plate in his part of town, though this will render all of downtown Shanghai as forbidden fruit.

As we've discussed many times before in MCM, the maximum fine for riding a 沪C plate inside the ring is 200 RMB, or about US$30, and as long as your plate is legal it's unlikely the bike will be confiscated. You'll just be fined (if the officer is in that kinda mood) and sent on your way. OK, do the math -- it would take a hell of a lot of 200 RMB fines to approach 45000 RMB (225 times, to be exact, or once a day for almost 8 months). If I lived in Pudong or Minhang and had no need to ride inside the ring, that's surely what I'd do. I have the Inner Ring plate because that's where I live (and, as discussed ad nauseum, the 沪A plate hopefully appreciates in value...). But if I lived and worked outside the ring, I could think of few things more unsatisfying that motorcycling INTO Shanghai downtown. The awesome Shanghai metro will take you almost anywhere for under US$1 a trip.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #25 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    ...the maximum fine for riding a 沪C plate inside the ring is 200 RMB
    What hasnt been mentioned on this forum yet is that as well as a 200 kuai fine, you also get 3 points taken off your license.

Your license has 12 points, which if lost come back automatically after a year, apparently. So you can afford to get caught 3 times, after that stop for a year or risk losing your license...

6. #26 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Your license has 12 points, which if lost come back automatically after a year, apparently. So you can afford to get caught 3 times, after that stop for a year or risk losing your license...
    That makes it a little less likely to be abused. However, I still see lots of C plates when I'm downtown. Not to mention no plates whatsoever or (as unfortunately in my case) plates from another province entirely. 5000 is within my means. I'm very much surprised that more people aren't lining up to get these with the new laws in place, rather than lining up to get jerry cans.....

7. #27 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    Is yours watercooled?
    Yep, watercooled and EFI. Still think it's pretty pricey tho!

I have tracked down three other supposed Raptor dealers so I am going to have a shop around and bargain a bit:

上海市嘉定区丰庄路317号

上海市长宁区长宁路1357号
    and
    上海市宝山区罗店镇罗升路212号

Anyone ever been to any of these addresses and can comment on whether they are legit Raptor dealers or some guy who happened to come across a Raptor for resale?

8. #28 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Only the second one is anywhere near central Shanghai. I'd start there first. It's in the Zhongshan Park area, roughly. Jiading and Baoshan are a hike.

It's a good strategy. Pubei Lu can compete on price with all the platinum priced hardware from BMW and Benelli next door. On Changning Lu (or in Jiading or Baoshan) the RR will be the priciest thing on the block, so you can start bitching about the price and perhaps be taken seriously. Say you live in the neighborhood, and don't let on that you even know about the Pubei shop.

Happy hunting!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #29 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Thanks so much for the map. That's gonna be really useful.
    I'm delighted to see my University is just on the outskirts of the no go zone.
    I didn't know it was so bloody close tho. Phew!

I wonder if anyone could clarify the boundaries a little more for me.
    Where does the boundary start just south of Xujiahui? It looks like the intersection where IKEA is located just off Humin Highway? I think i need to start memorizing the boundaries.

Yeah, i'm also still seeing a lot of bikes around Shanghai with no plates.
    Last edited by dewsnap; 02-18-2011 at 02:07 PM.

10. #30 Re: Shanghai Inner Ring Number Plate Price & Registration Process 
    Pubei Lu shop is owned by the same guy who owns the BMW and Benelli shop as well as the car service center.... Basically he owns the block.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast