Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Yunnan Ride 2010 
    Looking for somewhere warm to ride towards the end of November I opted for Yunnan. Using the transportation mode outlined by euphonius, I put the JH600 on the train in Shanghai on Monday (Nov-22) and flew down to Kunming on Friday night after work. The next day I picked up the bike at the Kunming train station, prepped for the ride, and was on the road Sunday morning.

Ride Overview
    Take a 7 day ride south of Kunming towards the borders of Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar- experiencing the warm winter sun, mountains and ethnic minority culture of Yunnan. Up to Dali for some chill relaxing then back to Kunming before training the bike back to Shanghai on Sunday (Dec-5) and catching my flight.

I checked around regarding roads and routes and didn't seen any red flags. What I would later find is the G214 ripped up to shit (between Lancang & Lincang). There wasn't much of a road left. I faced 150 kms of mud, sand, and gravel, including a 6-hour trucker backup on a narrow mud road along a river that the JH600 was too wide to get thru. Oh yeah, and rock slides (see video).

Parts of the ride were rough, especially when you're out there slinging it alone. But the greatest impression that the ride left me with is a deep appreciation for China's Road Workers. At RMB 50/day these guys work their asses off in dangerous conditions, many without aid of machinery - using their bare hands to give us great roads to ride on. 谢谢你们!

Route
    Kunming - Yuanyang - Jiangcheng - Jinghong - Shangyun - Gengma - Dali - Kuming

Yunnan Ride 2010 Part I

Yunnan Ride 2010 Part II

Ride Stats
    Riding Days: 7 days
    Total Distance: 2,086 kms
    Average Time Riding Each Day (including stops): 6.8 hrs
    Average Speed (including stops): 44 kph
    Low Daily Avg Speed: 16kph (trucker backup + rock slide)
    High Daily Avg Speed: 104kph (expressway Dali to Kunming)

* And S214 you see on this video (Part II) is expected to be up and running by April and completed by June - "Miracles of China".
    Last edited by MotoKai; 06-07-2011 at 06:39 AM.