Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Kinlon 200SM mod upgrade 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everyone,
    I’m new to this site, read allot about different mods being undertaken by others in same situation. Love the little Kinlon, performs well and is great little commuter, however would like just a little bit more on the top end. The bike just seems to be pushing the limits too hard at the top.
    My thoughts so far is carby mod, sprocket change, maybe jet change and free up its breathing.
    Questions;
    Im 98kg dry and was thinking of rear sproketing rear to 35-36T for better road performance. Has anyone of the same weight done this to their Kinlon? How does it go uphills with the lower ratio?
    Also was going to unrestrict the air, however noticed purpose snorkel on air filter breathes air from away from the splash area. Assume this was designed as to not intake water when riding through rain. Has anyone had any water problems with the air restricted removed under the seat? Also has anyone had any trouble in wet weather running a straight air pod right of the back of the carby?
    Appreciate your help in advance.

Cheers
    JR

2. #2 Re: Kinlon 200SM mod upgrade 
    Mine's an R/T, same engine, different sprockets but this last week I just changed from 13/45 to 13/36 and with a search and a dig you will find a couple of other threads in this forum where people have done similar on Kinlons. http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...limey-i-did-it!

I am 93 kg plus gear so not far off your weight but I wear leather and carry a heavy tool roll so probably ends up the same! The bike is much smoother through all gears and still has plenty in low end. Slow down on the longer hills round here is apparent, climbing up a thousand feet or more, but then it always was, its only a 200cc bike! I may be changing down a bit sooner but hadn't really noticed as it still gets there. I suppose the extra 5kg of Xmas pudding on you may be 'the straw that breaks the camels back' with these little fart machines ...

On the SM I have read that you have option of changing the front sprocket if you prefer that.

Over all, you get about 10% to maybe 15% at a stretch more top end with the change I did and no other mods. Others have reported more. And yes, less 'rip' as I call it in first and second. But I travel dirt and gravel or mud everytime I go out on this thing and to be quite honest it feels a fair bit safer on loose stuff, smoother, doesn't lose the back end on a gear change on gravel or squirm and wobble as badly as I take off through a mud hole. In my opinion it had too much torque and not enough control in lower gears, now the right hand control of the ride feels more instinctive and connected. Might be just my riding style but I would recommend it.

The air filter is my next job, will have a look and let you know. I ride either dust, gravel, mud or dirt up and down and round and about for a few miles every time I head off my property so will soon be able to tell! No problems with wet as is despite hooning through dozens of deep water holes.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...2-today-s-ride
    No moisture in electrics yet either ... the sub-frame and under seat set up seems pretty good. I get fine dust and or crap everywhere but very little under there so I was just thinking of drilling a few more holes in the top at first, rather than remove the whole thing. Have a good look around the Kinlon threads, I am sure someone will have done something similar.

3. #3 Re: Kinlon 200SM mod upgrade 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Jape,
    Yeah had a look around and while others have done the mods im looking at doing, and comprehensively described how they did them, they never mentioned rider weight and power affect across the full range. So your experience is good to know.
    The SM comes stock with a 44 in the rear, so was going to down a couple of teeth to 39, and leave the front sprocket has standard. Not looking at much more speed, just 5-10kph more. Instead of fishing around with matching sprockets a mechanic and I are going to change the front, rear and chain to an aftermarket variety. This will eliminate the tight spots within the chain and ensure I am not losing power through the poorly designed chain.
    I took air snorkel off ...Big difference already, so am thinking I will continue to mod the air box to have the thing breathe easier. Then exhaust and muffler to be changed....and last and only if it needs it will I replaced the carbie with a flat slide or something more powerful. But you know what they say, the more power and fuel the things consumes the more wear and tear on the engine. Just don’t want to push the little fart machine too much.
    Will let you know how I go with the mods; will post pics soon as I get the camera out.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    JR

4. #4 Re: Kinlon 200SM mod upgrade 
    Good to see.
    I am a bit confused too, you can get more revs, you can get more power, you change gearing and all has to come out of a little donk. Something has to give! I am just trying to keep it efficient, smooth within reasonable expectations and hope for a bit faster without killing it .. I am taking the assumption that they are a bit restricted and underpowered within their abilities as sold to us.
    I have just got a secondhand muffler of a Kwakka 250 to play with, cheap enough I can cut and weld and knock about.
    Be sure to take pics at all stages, many folk would enjoy that and some would benefit from your experience, including me.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2