Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Capn_jer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Capn_jer 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello to all. I just found this site and was overwhelmed with the pics and video of rural China road trips. I'm looking for work in CN right now and plan to experience rural China myself. So I have some questions. I read where it is difficult to import used bikes. Can one get around that impediment by disassembling a bike and shipping in in pieces as 'motor bike parts". Could a guy buy a wrecked CN bike, remove the ID plate and put it on his bike, and use the lic plate that the wrecked bike had issued?

I doubt that the average police officer in CN or the US knows what various bikes should look like. Now please don't go off on me about ethics, late model used KLR 650s can be had here in the US for $2,000-$2,500, and the KLR 250 for $1,500. So long as a bike has got a title and tag and not been stolen what's the beef?

2. #2 Re: Capn_jer 
    The "beef", is this little entity called customs. They will have all kinds of fun extorting money out of you for shipping those pieces. We have enough trouble importing simple things like a chain or set of brake pads, you really think you're going to slip an entire bike through? Have you done some calculations on shipping so much weight and bulk? I'm guessing a minimum of $3000 to ship that many boxes.

Get a registered Chinese bike and enjoy yourself, your idea is not worth the hassle and risk. What's wrong with a nice Chinese dual-sport for $2000 USD?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Capn_jer 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi Capn_jer, welcome to the world of everything is possible, nothing is easy!

My guess, once you arrive here many other issues will come up and the importantion seems so distant that the shipment will be written off...

Have a look at the thumpers available, locally, JH600, Galaxy XTR/TGR, Shineray X2,... main choices on the Dual Sport side, and two of them brand NEW for 2000USD available legally without all the red tape you asking for with the import scheme.
    If the Chinese stuff not works out for you still the importation might work, you might as well buy a "imported" one as here: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8949313759
    Its available, however its not possible to get "real" plates.

I suggest you just check back when you settled. Welcome!

4. #4 Re: Capn_jer 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey ChinaV, thanks for the reply. I'm a stubborned headed kinda guy and I like to ride my KLR. Every government has a fouled up bureaucratic system and every society has locals to know their way around it. I don't wanna ride 'in town'. It appears that provincal rules vary by quite a bit. I'm floored that you have trouble importing chains and pads. I heard a rumor that foreign expert cert holders can get past the vehicle import problem. On this site I viewed a HD group out on a poker run. How did all those hogs get in?

also, somebody posted pics of a new CN bike they had bought with really questionable welding of the frame. Sorry, I'd feel uncomfortable on one of those.

5. #5 Re: Capn_jer 
    ChinaV is spot on with his advice. I have lived here in China for 7 years. I can tell you that the impossible can be done and the easy is impossible. It is just the way it is.

Regarding the Harley riders, these bikes are legal in China as are BMW and Ducati, albeit at a premium price. FYI, a US$6500.00 883 sporty Harley in the USA sells for over US$16K in China. My BMW R1200GSA cost me US$20K in Texas. Same bike here is almost US$50K. I looked at a beat up 2008 GS gray market for US$25K but it was most likely either stolen or wrecked. I would not have paid US$4K outside of China for it. I ride a Jialing JH600 and I am pretty happy with it to date. Either prepare to get your checkbook out or be open minded.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

6. #6 Re: Capn_jer 
    'Stubborn headed' may work fine for you in Florida but the attitude would get you trouble anywhere else in the world I am sure. You are talking about bribery, corruption, subversion. Yes that exists everywhere in the world and you are pretty smart to have worked that out. You will certainly find China specific variants of it because it is human nature; however, 'stubborn headed' doesn't work in that arena. Smooth, careful, aware, respectful does. They replace the power you otherwise need and do not have. The price for gaining that knowledge is loss of your own pride and ego or strictly cash. And you would be considered foreign, disrespectful, and yes, 'stubborn headed', thus charged a premium and probably ripped off anyway. There is no easy way into power, especially in a different culture where the memes are different. Get a Q'link or stay in Florida is my advice. Maybe try Iraq and see where it gets you.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

7. #7 Re: Capn_jer 
    Living the dream...... Rotortrash's Avatar
    I'm not living in China, but I lived in Malaysia for years--and in all the countries I've worked and lived in, "respectful" is the key word--especially in Asia. 'stubborn headed' makes you just another "ugly American", gets you in trouble, or costs you--Just because other countries do something different than we do in the U.S., doesn't make it wrong, --it's just different. Even in Peru, where I am now, with all it's corrupt governmental agencies, trying to get around regulations, will cost you dearly---In Peru, riding anything other than a China bike, makes you a big target for theft.
    Buy a chinese bike and enjoy yourself--- Food for thought
    Last edited by Rotortrash; 01-03-2011 at 12:04 AM.

8. #8 Re: Capn_jer 
    Quote Originally Posted by Capn_jer View Post
    I like to ride my KLR. Every government has a fouled up bureaucratic system and every society has locals to know their way around it.
    I know the KLR is a lovely bike, many people choose it as a solid, economical, world tourer. However, from most of the jokes I read on the internet, KLR riders can hardly afford the means to "get around" the bureaucratic system of China. I'm not trying to lump you in with the "economical" crowd, but those that have done something like this have spent a lot of time and money, and were more or less willing to leave the bike in China forever. We're not talking about slipping a Benjamin to the guy at customs, more like 3k-5k $USD$ to back door it.

I don't wanna ride 'in town'. It appears that provincal rules vary by quite a bit.
    Obviously, there is no point to riding around town, the good stuff is out in the country (what's left of it). Provincial rules do not really vary, with the exception of areas with ethnic unrest. It's 2011, China pretty much has blanket policies for motor vehicles across the entire country. Enforcement may vary a bit from place to place, but not when it comes to accidents.

I heard a rumor that foreign expert cert holders can get past the vehicle import problem.
    Old rumors die hard, emission and certification laws changed. Even if it were almost true, an older KLR would not meet the emission standard. Maybe a diplomatic VISA could get you a car, but the bike would be very difficult.

On this site I viewed a HD group out on a poker run. How did all those hogs get in?
    Some were purchased at the established Harley dealerships for insane prices, the others were back doored for insane prices. Either way, what you saw is the wealth network doing its magic in China.

also, somebody posted pics of a new CN bike they had bought with really questionable welding of the frame. Sorry, I'd feel uncomfortable on one of those.
    Pretty sure the same guy also posted this report about adventure touring on a 250cc China dual-sport. One of the guys on that trip (Daniel) is a factory sponsored KLR rider who has covered 100+ countries on KLR's and made several unsuccesful attempts at getting his into China. He didn't seem to mind riding a Chinese dual-sport. They're not all that bad.

Nothing wrong with being stubborn, I admire your position for wanting to fight a situation that is obviously not fair. If Chinese people can visit your country and tour, you should have the right to visit theirs and tour. Unfortunately, China doesn't play by the rules, and getting around it is going to cost you a lot of money. One other point to think about, if you have a full time job, you're taking a big risk. If you get into an accident or altercation on the road, the authorities are going to check everything very closely. An illegal bike would be a quick, one-way ticket out of the country.

Best of luck with your decision and adventures in China.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #9 Re: Capn_jer 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks again ChinaV for your words of advice. I've tried to re-invent the wheel several times in my life, and this looks like a formidable challenge. I found the site www.export.gov/china/exporting_to_china/CCCAnnouncement8.pdf (A US govt translation of a CCC document) which reads; " 1. The products which don't need the CCC certificate; (a) The personal products which are brought into China by foreigners for personal use only." Any chance one could use this provision to bring in chains and brake pads?

RE illegal bikes, do you know of any deportations of US expats for this or any other reason? Here in Florida illegals get introuble with the law all the time. Unless it's a felony involving drugs or assaults they go through the legal process, do a little time and go back out on the street. IT also edepends on what the illegal's nationality is (Mexican vs Chinese). Go gotta love this, here in Fort Myers we've got illegal Chinese who own a Chinese restaurant (what else!) and employ illegal Mexicans to bus and wash dishes.

10. #10 Re: Capn_jer 
    C-Moto Noob
    I joined this website just two days ago looking for a back door way of bringing a bike into China and I'm already being attacked by some self righteous a**hole "know-it-all' from Australia who's telling me to "stay in Florida or try Iraq". Look pal, I don't need ur s**t. If you dont like what's going on in Iraq then go picket or burn a US flag in front of some US consulate down under, or spend more time on one of those self help psycotherapy forums. It's guys like you that ruin forums like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast