Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    Looks like just one Chinese rider in this years Dakar.

Rider No 149 Han Bao Hua on a Jincheng JC 450F.

Still in there after day 3.Currently in 160th position.

Will he make it to the finish?

Go Han.

2. #2 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    Just wondering, what bike is that Jincheng? Is that a chinese bike, or is it just a bit of sticker engineering on a foreign bike?

3. #3 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Just wondering, what bike is that Jincheng? Is that a chinese bike, or is it just a bit of sticker engineering on a foreign bike?
    See post #393 here!

4. #4 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Great thread! Would be great to have a Chinese finisher, even if he's on a Jincheng-badged Yammie. It's a bit of work wading through that 95-page ADVrider thread, however. is anyone blogging in Chinese?

thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    Ah ok thanks for the reply! Out of interest, what's point/how do they get away with sticking their name all over someone else's bike?

6. #6 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Ah ok thanks for the reply! Out of interest, what's point/how do they get away with sticking their name all over someone else's bike?
    Ok here's my view on it.

China is a big growing economy.One of the few in the world that is powering ahead.

Yeah if they wanted to they could put a stop to Jincheng racing but really what are there chances of taking a podium place?What are there chances of even finishing the event?

I think there happy seeing China taking part.Jincheng if it starts getting competitive things would probally change buts thats a long way off.

What are the chances of a Chinese made Motorcycle finishing the rally even the Chinese have worked that out.It's a huge difference from the Taklimakan rally.

It's the pinacale of rally raids.

Plus if they where asked "isn't that a Yamaha" they would probally say no we took the yamaha as a base and refined it into what we thought was a true motorcycle a Jincheng.

The Chinese don't like loosing face.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 01-04-2011 at 08:56 AM.

7. #7 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Ok here's my view on it.

China is a big growing economy.One of the few in the world that is powering ahead.

Yeah if they wanted to they could put a stop to Jincheng racing but really what are there chances of taking a podium place?What are there chances of even finishing the event?

I think there happy seeing China taking part.Jincheng if it starts getting competitive things would probally change buts thats a long way off.

What are the chances of a Chinese made Motorcycle finishing the rally even the Chinese have worked that out.
    OK, it's wintertime (here in the northern hemisphere), so I'll bite. Bigdamo asks what are the chances of a chinabike even finishing Dakar? Is there a single Chinese-made model that would even be appropriate for such a race? I'm a total newb to Paris-Dakar, but Wikipedia tells me there are both production bikes ("marathon" group) and highly modified bikes ("super production" group) in two displacement classes: above and below 450cc.

The Moto class is divided between three groups. Group 1 is Marathon, which are nearly unmodified production motorcycles, subdivided between engines of greater and less than 451 cc (28 cu in).[11] Group 2 is Super-Production bikes, which are more substantially modified than Marathon bikes, subdivided between engines of greater and less than 451 cc.[11] Group 3 for quads, subdivided between engines of greater and less than 500 cc.[11]
    Much as I've enjoyed reading about the Galaxys Qingqis and Shinerays and Regal Raptors Lifans under the butts of our many capably riders, I don't remember reading about any Chinabike that both fits the description of dual sport/motard and leaves the 200/250cc range. There was that thread about the evanescent Asiawing 450 dirt bike, which still gives one some slim hope. Could an XTR250 or TGR250 even think of finishing?

In the above 450cc range, eeer, weellll, ummmm, there's the JH600. OMG. Actually, yes, as a proud owner who's put mine through quite a bit, I actually CAN imagine the Jialing dual sport finishing Paris-Dakar, but we'd be measuring the splits in days, not minutes, and surely even with all of Pfaelzer's mods the bike would need a ton surgical services along the way.

So, to reiterate bigdamo's question: Is there a single chinabike that one could imagine surviving a Paris-Dakar type ride? Even with substantial modifications?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    OK, it's wintertime (here in the northern hemisphere), so I'll bite. Bigdamo asks what are the chances of a chinabike even finishing Dakar? Is there a single Chinese-made model that would even be appropriate for such a race? I'm a total newb to Paris-Dakar, but Wikipedia tells me there are both production bikes ("marathon" group) and highly modified bikes ("super production" group) in two displacement classes: above and below 450cc.

Much as I've enjoyed reading about the Galaxys Qingqis and Shinerays and Regal Raptors Lifans under the butts of our many capably riders, I don't remember reading about any Chinabike that both fits the description of dual sport/motard and leaves the 200/250cc range. There was that thread about the evanescent Asiawing 450 dirt bike, which still gives one some slim hope. Could an XTR250 or TGR250 even think of finishing?

In the above 450cc range, eeer, weellll, ummmm, there's the JH600. OMG. Actually, yes, as a proud owner who's put mine through quite a bit, I actually CAN imagine the Jialing dual sport finishing Paris-Dakar, but we'd be measuring the splits in days, not minutes, and surely even with all of Pfaelzer's mods the bike would need a ton surgical services along the way.

So, to reiterate bigdamo's question: Is there a single chinabike that one could imagine surviving a Paris-Dakar type ride? Even with substantial modifications?

cheers
    It's all changed no more big bores after this year and no one is putting alot of money into something they can't ride next year.

I think there is a 250cc class.I think there is a 50cc class.I think you would be changing the engines alot though.

There changinging the engines alot on the 450's thats why there pissed not running the the big bores anymore.

If you do not make the cut off time for the stage your out of the event so sorry your JH600 probally won't finish the event.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 01-04-2011 at 09:07 AM.

9. #9 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    C-Moto Guru
    3 riders on Jincheng Bikes:
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2011/us/rider/070.html
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2011/us/rider/081.html
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2011/us/rider/149.html

None of them competitive...Its taking part that counts!

Also Chinese cars involved!

Interested check the DAKAR homepage.

10. #10 Re: Chinese in the 2011 Dakar 
    Quote Originally Posted by andre555 View Post
    3 riders on Jincheng Bikes:
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2011/us/rider/070.html
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2011/us/rider/081.html
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2011/us/rider/149.html

None of them competitive...Its taking part that counts!

Also Chinese cars involved!

Interested check the DAKAR homepage.
    Well two of them old Pablo dosn't look to Chinese to me.

But for sure just taking part takes lots of money training,practice and big balls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast