Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    I don't know much about exhausts but I just won one on Ebay for $40 to my post box! An impulse bid that won. It is off a kwaka zzr 250 ninja type and looks nice. It is the right diameter pipe for the Kinlon and looks good and is cheap enough I can experiment with it.
    80 cm long 9 cm Diameter.

Thoughts on this? Will it aid performance?
    Hmm, now to find some jets?

Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #2 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    Being a proper OEM exhaust, it will probably be quiet and not give you much of a performance boost. Quiet is good, I hate noisy bikes. Try it with the stock jetting, might be fine as is.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    You wont need to change the actual jettting rod mate, if you remove the airbox with this and fit pod, id adjust the jet pin to its richest setting, mine was running lean with mods till I did that, now its perfect.

4. #4 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    btw that will be a quiet exhaust

5. #5 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    Thanks guys, the Kinlon R/T exhaust is big and heavy and rusty and this is off a bigger bike so even if not a race muffler it is hopefully lighter and more free flowing. If it isn't, well I can chop it about and learn by it. I am not looking for noise at all, just to tweak out a few more kph. I will do the airpod thing as well now I feeling more confident after the sprocket change!

I don't really understand the physics and dynamics of engines and all that, but it seems that a bike that is getting a free flow of air and fuel has to work better, more smoothly anyway if it is all balanced. My physics and mechanics at school was a C-- but I reckon you can only get more efficiency at any part of the cycle and then match that to the gears or vice versa to lay that power down; you may get more power overall if it is restricted in the first place but you can't turn a small engine into a bigger one by doing any of this. The gearing ratio is the important thing. Then my brain gets a bit hazy, if you get higher revs from x amount of throttle you will still be limited by engine size. But there must be a plotted curve of efficiency, power obtained for x amount of fuel. Then that is balanced by effort required to move so much mass over such a distance at such and such a speed. Maybe I need to go back to school. My understanding of 'metaphysics' works around a principle called 'balance' - hopefully it applies to normal physics and metal and gasoline as well.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    Don't do the air pod filter, they are noisy, barely have anything to do with increasing power, and basically render your bike useless if you plan to use it in the rain.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Its tucked that far up under almost the seat on mine and japes model rain doesnt effect it, unless you were in a river above the exhaust, it doesnt get a drip, It does derestrict it alot, breathes alot better, I did jets, pipe, pod, platinum plug,
    It went from being a slow farm bike feel to much quicker low end + alot more top end grunt, gets around very quick, even though ive raced for the past 10 years 6 of those being sponsored, its not a slow bike anymore, with the right rider on it. Went from being capable of 115km/h top speed pre mods to 140km/h not flat out, id say it has around 8-10kms left in it on the right straight. Not bad for a 200cc 4 stroke. Based on the xr200 from what ive read.

8. #8 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    Thanks for that! Specific knowledge of a particular model really helps. ChinaV is right in most cases of course (and he has seen the pics of me and water up to my knees) but here it seems I am the lucky one with a member who knows the bike and has lots of experience. I have noticed that for some reason despite fine dust getting everywhere as it does In OZ, including inside the speedo and in your mouth, very little gets up under the seat at all. Maybe an aerodynamic anomaly!

Where do you race mate? Motocross or Finke or what? It is amazing to think this thing could possibly do 140 kph! I can't wait, better not do it on the knobbies though I reckon.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #9 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Motocross & supercross mate, raced all over oz, but local tracks cessnock, kurri & lakes.

Ive got the motard version of your kinlon, I dont know exactly what the differences are but I know they have different suspension setup, I think they have bigger front and rear discs, Ive got wider motard road tyres and rims. But same basic engine, no reason yours couldnt do the same, big thing was the jets though get that right. I was surprised at the increase. Would like to get a bit more, but Im lost as to anything else I could do, if I could do a 450f transplant thatd be a different story but I dont know if the frame could cope let alone the gearbox.

10. #10 Re: exhaust thing for my Kinlon 200cc 
    hey jape
    well done mate exhaust looks good ive got a fair few main and idle jets spare
    if your after a couple let us know and i will post up there for you
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm
    mods so far- custom gear rack, custom exhaust, custom bash plate, led indicators, led tail/stop light, 155main jet and needle set on 4th groove from top, airbox restrictor removed,front fairing shortened 75mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast