Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Possibility of engine transplant, from 200cc to 450cc? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey guys,

Over the past few weeks really attacked my kinlon supermotard its come up a real little rocket and looks 100% better now, managed to push 140km/h with a tad more left from the 110km/h I was getting out of it stock (opposed to the 100km/h factory recom) I was pretty happy with that.
    Mods are pipe, re jet, pod, platinum plugs, fender eliminator, led blinkers front & rear, digital lcd guage, completely debadged & de stickered, black plastics black rims, led brake light and led front twin halo plastics. Anyway enough of that, ive been using it to get me by whilst completing australian L & P plates which go for nearly 3 years by the way, untill I can get my R6. Have attached myself to this little thing, its really quick around town now, looks mean and runs on nothing, for the measly 130$ cost for rego yearly ill be keeping it after the fact now.

So im curious has anyone pondered completed, drew up, scratched there head over a few beers over transplanting a new engine into one of these chinese bikes doesnt have to be a kinlon but something along these lines, I think mine is the xr200 honda engine based upon, so I was interested in dropping a 450f into it if possible, but I really am in shakey waters as Im unsure if the bikes frame or even gearbox, would be able to cope with the sheer power upgrade from this,
    If I can get a complete written off bike which can be purchased in OZ very cheap at the auctions, I would have my hands on engine, gearbox, radiator the lot.
    I really dont know if this is at all possible but if anyone has anything they would like to share id be happy to hear.... by the way cost would be down as id do it all myself, so potentially could be a very cheap exercise, also considering the bike is registered as a learner legal example, an engine swap would basically be unrecognisable and therefor "legal" for a learner to potter around on to a certain extent.

this is the bike by the way:

http://www.kinlon.com.au/super_moto.php

2. #2 Re: Possibility of engine transplant, from 200cc to 450cc? 
    Hi mate, nothing to offer about the engine transplant apart from repeating what may be obvious ... but I am sure someone will chip in at some point. You can't be the first to do such. Shades of Triton. lol I did have a Morris Minor with a Cortina engine once years ago but a mate did it.

I think that the drive train would be the weak point as you surmise, gearbox with engine would be the go, then it is just lining up ... maybe 530 chain and sprocket? Electrics would be pretty basic to alter as long as you have enough spark. Frame, well, maybe new mountings and reinforcement triangles like the freestylers use, then brakes and shocks to match the weight it has to stop and to absorb. More a case of fun than practicality. You would want everything that carries or transfers weight or power strengthened. I guess ideally that would mean spokes or rims also and it could never end so you need to compare existing with other larger bikes, at what point do existing manufacturers change things, to what point do they use existing technology and manufacturing. As you know modern bikes have also changed the materials to titanium steel, aluminium alloys etc. and girder designs to offset weight gains required in stronger frames. But a look at a 650 up against a 200 with a ruler or caliper would sort a lot of that out quickly.

Now, we also want pics of your machine as is! And rego for $130? They wanted $500 plus in my small town. Maybe they got it wrong? Will have to check on that.
    The P plate thing is a bugger innit. Too many kids splattered against trees and truck bullbars I reckon.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #3 Re: Possibility of engine transplant, from 200cc to 450cc? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Yeah mate 126$ in nsw, for under 250cc not including green slip though. What other option do I have, Id just like to be able to get the back wheel up on it, i need more power?

4. #4 Re: Possibility of engine transplant, from 200cc to 450cc? 
    Rego's the same as a car down here in Mexico.. damn, I should move to NSW. I know what you mean about getting to like these bikes, I'm the same. But I would really have a good hard look at the material Kinlon have used in the frame of you bike before considering shoe-horning a bigger donk in it. Most of the brackets and such on my Kinlon can be bent by hand if you try hard enough, in fact that's how I adjust the brakelight switch when it needs it. I'd hate to think how much your frame would twist, bend or possibly break from the stresses put on it by the extra cc's. Jape's right.. it's fun and enjoyable modifying, but you have to weigh up how much strengthening and replacing of parts is needed, sometimes it's a cheaper and safer option to just upgrade to a bigger bike.