Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 you might know better than me , engine noise 
    C-Moto Noob
    hi guy first off my name is Juan , great site looks like every one is pretty helpfull always a good thing .

my problem is i just picked up a Kinlon supermono, mainly got it for the front end to motard my klr250,
    but... the bike is mint and i dont want to wreck it out for parts if it is an easy fix ,

the bike at idle has a very bad knocking sound and does this in first and second , but trying to get in the back yard after a test ride , 3rd didnt hook up and the knocking noise went away and the bike idles and revs out smoothly and clean , but roll back 10cm and i can hear grinding like the gear is trying to engage ,
    so i am at a loss is it a main bearing or has something in the box gone boom?
    looked every where and cant find any info on these engines have any problem simlar to this ,
    any help would be great

bit of back ground the original owner says he kept up all the services and was just a bike to do a 80km round trip on every week day.
    then he says it went boom when he was riding and he got it droped off at his house,
    27000 on the clock ,
    hope that helps,

2. #2 Re: you might know better than me , engine noise 
    To be honest, if you have tried the simpler things like making sure clutch adjustment, oil etc. is fine and that nothing is happening like a loose bolt on front sprocket, and if you are sure it is a bottom end noise ... then you are going to have to take it to an experienced bike mechanic to listen and diagnose. If it happens at idle clearly enough, you can listen to the engine with your ear on the handle of a long heavy screwdriver (so you don't burn it lol) and you may be able to hear which direction the noise is actually coming from, (acts like a stethoscope and magnifies the sound), like front balancer, gearbox, clutch, bottom of engine etc. Do it a couple of times as sound can travel.

OR just crack it open and look. I am scared of going near metal and tools when they have to carry me along the road at 100 kph after my intervention, but have done this sort of thing before myself and found it surprisingly, umm, easy isn't the right word, maybe logical is? The bits connect to each other and do things they are designed to do. Any broken or loose bit becomes obvious, at least there will be signs of wear and tear or internal collision. Then you may be lucky, get a Honda part or Kinlon part and stick it in ... amazing yourself and all your mates. This page has basic descriptions and part numbers including engine. http://www.kinlon.com.au/spare_parts.php
    and somewhere in all my threads someone aimed me at a workshop manual that tells you how to do this stuff properly. If you decide to have a go I will look it out.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #3 Re: you might know better than me , engine noise 
    C-Moto Noob
    hi changed the oil had a look , it will not engage into gear at all so its the gear box or clutch ,
    i think i read somewhere these things can jump to 5 to 1 , thing is with the engine off it rolls into gear ,

4. #4 Re: you might know better than me , engine noise 
    Quote Originally Posted by enlss View Post
    hi changed the oil had a look ...
    Checked clutch adjustment ? "Level" FREE PLAY should be ~10 – 20 mm (0.4 – 0.8 in)

5. #5 Re: you might know better than me , engine noise 
    C-Moto Noob
    hi pulled the cover off on the side to find the drive gear on the clutch basket in 2 peices
    getting a replacement one tommorrow if i can see how we go

6. #6 Re: you might know better than me , engine noise 
    Good luck with it, let us know how you go. Pictures are always interesting to show the broken bits and how you fix it, tools used etc. That will help someone else one day!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2