Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Loncin LX 650 launch 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob Niels Thomsen's Avatar
    Hello..
    Just saw that Loncin has presented this 650 cc bike.
    As you know, they have produced the 650 BMW engine since 2006. Well it paid off.
    http://www.chinamotorworld.com/viewnews.asp?id=1562

Enjoy the fine films.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIaEmnmudb0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfbp1S0El34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C4bY_JpJzM
    Are we way past prototype here? Are they sold in China now. Anybody knows?

2. #2 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    I mentioned a bit about it here.

Not much more to say than is already stated in the China motor world article. But if you read between the lines.

Outdated, 650cc single cylinder engine, best suited for BMW's adventure touring type motorcycles... not a great sportbike/cafe bike engine.

175 kg for a single cylinder streetbike = pig.

Ĩ50,000 for an untested Chinese machine that's over $7500 USD. Pretty sure you could get a quality bike like a Suzuki Gladius 650 for $6,899 or a Yamaha FZ6-R for $7,399.

Loncin = little or no dealer support anywhere in the world, including China. Both the Suzuki and Yamaha have 12 month warranties with the option to purchase extended coverage.

Quoting the CMW article "all its core components like frame and braking system are produced by top factories of Italy and Japan" Hmm, the rear brakes I saw were from Buell, last I checked, they were an American company that's gone out of business.

"The Loncin LX 650 will be available on the market early next year"
    Available to farmers and peasants, as they are the only ones living in locations that allow motorcycles. With the exception of Shanghai and Beijing, which only have a limited amount of plates and registrations left.

But hey... we'll take anything we can get in China, it's not like we're used to having choices.

And one more cry baby comment... If Loncin can sell this bike in China (WTO member country), what gives China the right to slap a 100% tariff on Japanese and European bikes of similar design. I mean, why is it OK for Loncin to make BMW's 650 engine, yet BMW is not granted fair access to the 650cc market in China?

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 04-20-2013 at 03:28 AM.

3. #3 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    Its early days yet mate. Not sure they really have import/export policies and tariffs etc. worked out. Probably a lot of hangover from the cold war and even, in memory, back to Opium wars, American battleships in Shanghai and Japanese invasions, Korea and Vietnam. I don't think I am stretching it, the people in power are operating from or in reaction to foreign policies of the 20th Century. Plenty of terrorism and so on to sort out before we get enough peace that trade is anything other than secondary to crisis management, military needs and population pressures and refugees.

Signing free trade agreements, joining market groups and Asia forums is all new for China. And its not as if the so-called free world has free trade everywhere - especially of profits are threatened. Lots of lies and pretence in such things and very little true fairness, freedom or even regard to economic history and precedent. This is a huge change in the world, another few billion people coming into the game at a time when empires are falling, religions are failing and financial crisis is the norm. I think you guys over there, especially the happily married, are very fortunate and in small ways will affect the overall outcome of this century! It all adds up.

Where is MJH when you need him? I am sure there is a music clip somewhere illustrates my point ...
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #4 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    Well ChinaV I donīt think your estimations about the weight are entirely correct. If you look at the BMW 650 GS it weighs 179 kilo, so 175 with a 71 horsepower BMW engine is actually reasonable. Of course this will never be a sportsbike, but that is not the intention either.
    Remember the BMW GS weighs 179 kilo with the same engine, and it runs good. I don't reckon the engine is outdated as the BMW GS 650 is still sold.
    But you're right about the prize, it has to come down, if it going to have a chance as a no-name brand. Although we know the brand here in Denmark. A lot of people here in Denmark are interested in new initiatives and competition from the no-name brands, But we also got 180% tax on motorcycles :-(. Loncin has already been imported here a few years back. Hope they can start again, if the prize gets right.

5. #5 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    Well Mr. Thomsen, sorry to disagree. First off, this bike does not make 71 horsepower, maybe 53, but there is no way the Loncin built, 650cc single cylinder engine, is putting out 71 ponies. As of 2008, the BMW F650GS is a 798cc, parallel twin engine. A 71 horsepower parallel twin carrying 179 kilos is very different than a 53 horsepower single carrying 175 kilos. I just sold my BMW F650, so I'm pretty familiar with the engine and the handling characteristics of the BMW. As I said, it's fine for a multi purpose adventure style bike, but it's roots are in 1994, and can hardly be called a modern engine.

I'm shocked that you pay 180% tax on motorcycles in Denmark. But at least your air is clean and you have free healthcare .

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 01-11-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: sobremotos did the right thing

6. #6 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    OK yes youre right, if they have used the old 650 engine. then it's a I just assumed that they used the new engine. I don't know if they still produce it for BMW, or if it only was the old 650 cc.

A visit to the Loncin factory http://bikeadvice.in/visit-loncin-mo...ongqing-china/ shows the BMW presence.

With regards to the tax, yes you can triple the price of a US motorcycle, then you appox got the prize around here.

7. #7 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    But then again. I just checked the weight of the BMWs GS and CS And they are also about 175 kilo (thourght they had lot less to carry) so this isn't that bad after all. Back in the nineties, the old Funduro weighed a whole 189 kg. My old Aprilia Pegaso takes the lead with only 157 kilo.

8. #8 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    I think the early Pegaso also had a 5 valve head, so it made a little more power than the BMW models. The weight of a bike is not so important if it's balanced well, but 175 kilos is a little heavy for a bike that was designed in 2010. BWM has done a good job of making heavy bikes feel smaller than they are. I expected their BMW R1200 GS Adventure to be a giant pig, but it actually felt very light and nimble.

I think Loncin is going to have a tough time selling this bike at the price they are asking. In the export market, they are going up against well established brands in a depressed bike market. At home, the ban on motorcycles makes it difficult for the wealthy metro crowd to enjoy the sport of motorcycling.

The only bikes that drew bigger crowds at the ChongQing show were the Harley's. Must be something about heavy motorcycles with outdated engines that the world likes.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #9 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    or else it is the attractive Chinese angels?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #10 Re: Loncin LX 650 launch 
    You are both right an also both wrong...

Yes 175 is a bit heavy... yes 48 HP (as BMW mentioned for the new G650GS) are not too many.
    but:
    As an 3 year owner of BMW F650ST, I can say that an 650 cc single commuter is quite OK. My 48 HP Beemer had 198 (or so) kg to move (plus me) and managed more than OK in the city traffic (Bucharest has very busy traffic). Mileage was super-OK. 5-6 Liter for 100 km. Now I ride a 900 cc Triumph and it does not get beneath 8 in the city. I can asume that Loncin will do better having fuel injection and less kilos to move.

As the price goes... If it stays inside 5000-6000 Euro limis I think it will do ok (with good dealer support).

IMHO:
    1. Loose one of the front disks, save some $$ and weight. one 320 mm disk with one radial Nissin caliper is good enough
    2. loose the sci-fi exhaus and put an economical round or oval (arrow-style maybe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast