Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    So how does the bike feel now?
    Much smoother.. I didn't have a chance to check top speed yet, but I'm cruizing comfortably at ~5000 rmp. It's been windy last couple of days, so I still can't tell for sure.
    But as soon as I left the parts market, I hear a ticking noise I haven't heard before. Only when I accelerate, and only for a few moments. When I got home, at closer inspection I see that the chain is hitting the upper chain gaurd. I think it's because I changed to smaller rear sprocket. How to fix this?

Another problem, I think the chain is wider than the sprocket! It moves sideways on the sprocket parallel to the axel. Maybe better find a better sprocket in GZ market? Is this normal? I don't know because I never checked on the stock chain.
    Yet another problem is the front sprocket. Same as before, 17 tooth. It moves about 2mm about it's axis if I try to move it. Is this supposed to happen?

Another issue, not sure how critical this is. There is about 1mm space between the lockring (not sure what to call it) and the sprocket. This is because we had to machine the spocket. Is this critical?

As you see, I'm still using the old chain. First time I bought the wrong length chain. I'll buy a chain tool sometime tomorrow change it.

After all of this, I'm thinking to buy a new rear wheel, with a more common sprocket. But sometimes I'm not sure it's worth putting money into this bike.. After the last upgrade, lets call it an upgrade for now, I feel the suspension is really bad. Bike keeps bouncing slightly after acceleration, or changing direction. Not sure I want to think of doing anything about that.

I might be in GZ around Chinese Newyear's, maybe I can get better parts there.
    Note for santa, My xmas wish list:: boots suitable for touring/daily commute, weather proof riding suit that doesn't make me look like an astronaut, chain, sprocket, mini tool bag, some pen looking tire pressure gauge...
    Last edited by slabo; 01-20-2011 at 05:40 PM.

2. #22 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    But as soon as I left the parts market, I hear a ticking noise I haven't heard before. Only when I accelerate, and only for a few moments. When I got home, at closer inspection I see that the chain is hitting the upper chain gaurd. I think it's because I changed to smaller rear sprocket. How to fix this?
    Maybe you can slot the mounting holes of the chain guard to move its position.

Another problem, I think the chain is wider than the sprocket! It moves sideways on the sprocket parallel to the axel. Maybe better find a better sprocket in GZ market? Is this normal? I don't know because I never checked on the stock chain.
    A small amount of sideways movement is normal, but I'm positive you're chain is WAY out of specification. Impossible that a KMC 428 chain is still in spec after 9000 kilometers.

Yet another problem is the front sprocket. Same as before, 17 tooth. It moves about 2mm about it's axis if I try to move it. Is this supposed to happen?
    Normal for this kind of output shaft and the way the sprocket mounts. My Galaxy is the same.

Another issue, not sure how critical this is. There is about 1mm space between the lockring (not sure what to call it) and the sprocket. This is because we had to machine the spocket. Is this critical?
    Not sure I quite understand what you're referring to.

As you see, I'm still using the old chain.
    Noooo. All these components wear together. A toasted chain can chow through new sprockets pretty quickly. If you don't have a chain tool, just find any old workshop with a grinding wheel. Grind the pin off, and then use a punch to drive the link pin out. Put your chain adjuster all the way forward before measuring the chain.

After all of this, I'm thinking to buy a new rear wheel, with a more common sprocket. But sometimes I'm not sure it's worth putting money into this bike..
    Finding a new wheel with the right dimensions would probably be expensive and very difficult. You need to have the correct spacing to keep the rear brake and sprockets lined up.

After the last upgrade, lets call it an upgrade for now, I feel the suspension is really bad. Bike keeps bouncing slightly after acceleration, or changing direction. Not sure I want to think of doing anything about that.
    Sounds like the rear shocks are only using spring tension instead of hydraulic pressure.

Doors open at my place during CNY if you need a place. The GZ market has a lot of stuff on your Santa list at reasonable prices.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #23 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Don't let it get you down Naim! I would have given up before now but you are getting there. You can always refit the old sprocket ... Try and get the rear shock looked at too, try the same guys, they will get used to the weird foreigner then. Take a pack of Dunhill cigarettes or something with you as felix and others suggest in other threads. You will end up with a 'bike you can travel across China on. I would have liked a Long March myself, good looking machine.

Give the 'bike a while with that sprocket and see if it is smoother through the gears and has a bit more top end. I may have misled you when I said don't need to change the chain in my own thread, as China V says with these cheap 428s you are likely to get wear.

You can only keep doing this stuff and learning and one you day you either feel it was worth the effort of persevering on the adventure or you save up for a Mercedes and maybe sell your soul to do that!

You are doing it pretty much on your own in a strange land with a quite rare model of 'bike to setup. Doing well. Anyway, have a great CNY and I hope it all works out for you.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #24 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Everyone thanks a lot for walking me through this, I've learned a lot.
    First time I changed the sprocket, I bought the wrong length chain. So I had to put back the old one to be able to ride back home. Changed the chain today. Got my hands dirty, typing this with dirty greasy paws now. Really difficult to clean this shit.. I used as many links on the new chain as the old, but even after pushing the real axle to most forward position, I think there is still not enough chain slack. 2cm enough? But I found out putting back links is much harder than taking them off. Especially with the cheap tool I had.

ChinaV, the space I'm talking about::

The c-clip in question is this:

You need a tool like this to take it off

This happened because the sprocket was machined.

5. #25 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Changed the chain today. Got my hands dirty, typing this with dirty greasy paws now. Really difficult to clean this shit.. .
    When i was still young, old folks's secret recipe: Dish detergent + Granulated Sugar. Of couse 洗手膏 are better.

6. #26 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Use girlfriend's 洗手膏 before dirty work, keeps much grease off. Nothing wrong with gloves either!

That wire still looks a bit close in the front sprocket picture.

The rear sprocket bolts hold your sprocket tight to the hub, it looks like therefore the gap is not so important as it cannot move, but to be sure you could look for or make a shim. On mine the gap was critical as the sprocket bolts floated in rubber bushes and the slack had to be taken up so I used washers behind them - but yours is a direct bolt.

The chain looks OK to me. I don't understand how it can be so tight when the new sprocket is smaller diameter! I was stupid enough to feed the chain the wrong way through the guide which is different on the Kinlon so mine was all wrong, but I couldn't ride it like that, you have ridden yours so it must be OK?

2cm is a bit tight for a dirt bike chain but OK I reckon, on mine I like 2 cm up and 2 cm down but it will probably slacken off a bit.
    You have what looks like a large split pin through the axle? Always replace them.

The knobbies are a bit harsh for tarmac and smooth roads, some of the vibration you got will have come from them. If you don't go off-road then the motard style tyres will be a smoother ride of course and still have grip on gravel.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

7. #27 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    That wire still looks a bit close in the front sprocket picture.
    The wire is separated from the chain by the cover case, no problem there. An image from the first post shows how it was crimped during factory installation, and that caused the gear indicator to play up at times. That's fixed, the dealer replaced the cable with one off a new bike in his shop, now it's the other guy's problem. Bike already sold by the way :D
    The chain looks OK to me. I don't understand how it can be so tight when the new sprocket is smaller diameter! I was stupid enough to feed the chain the wrong way through the guide which is different on the Kinlon so mine was all wrong, but I couldn't ride it like that, you have ridden yours so it must be OK?
    I made the chain as long as the chain that was on before, which was the old chain, only made shorted because i was using the smaller sprocket. As I said in the previous post, It was late, and I the chain I bought was too short, so we had to use the older chain again. For that, we had to take off a few links. For two days only, total riding 20km. My mistake was using as many links on the new chain as the old(now shortened), but the older chain was actually a bit stretched.

You have what looks like a large split pin through the axle? Always replace them.
    What pin?

The knobbies are a bit harsh for tarmac and smooth roads, some of the vibration you got will have come from them. If you don't go off-road then the motard style tyres will be a smoother ride of course and still have grip on gravel.
    I'll definitely get different tires next time.

8. #28 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    What pin?
    slabobackwheel.jpg

- in the rear wheel photo it looked like a split pin through axle, but I zoomed it and saw it was not, sorry.
    Last edited by jape; 01-26-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123