Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I've been putting this off for a long time now, but I'm planning another trip next holiday and I have to sort this before then. Bike vibrates a lot, and according to GPS, it reaches 60km/h when rpm is ~6k.
    Basically the bike is geared too low. Already have 9000km on the bike so far, so changing the stock chain may not be such a bad idea.
    Is this some kind of an O-ring chain? All I can see written on the chain is IE, KMC, 428U0

Another view of the chain. From the open side, looks like there is lateral space between one side plate and the other.

Front sprocket is a 14 tooth. Not much space left for a bigger front, can I do anything about it? Not much metal to grind also.

Rear sprocket is a 56 tooth, mounted by 4 bolts.

Another view of the rear.

Any suggestions? I'd like the bike to cruise at 100km/h on smooth asphalt, but i'd be happy with 80. Also important is I can still get out of hairy situations off-road.

Any advice appreciated,thanks

2. #2 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    C-Moto Regular
    Looks like an O ring chain. No room for a bigger countershaft sprocket so you'll have to go smaller on the rear. If you know the engine's internal gear ratios you can used www.gearingcommander.com to figure your speeds at different RPMs. I suspect you will want to go to a 42 to 45 tooth rear.

3. #3 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Yes, down that far and you will get what you want. The ratio will be around 3 which is good enough I think.

The 428 chain should be OK, used on many such bikes but check the new sprocket matches it. No signs I can see in these pics of excessive wear but you will have to get a file to remove top of chain rivet and a cheap chain breaker and a new master link and clip or riveter and work out how many pairs of links to remove.

Hairy situations off-road vary but are usually corrected by being in right gear at the time and clutch/rev balance. You should still have enough in first/second to use. Send me your address by PM, I have a 'basic skills' DVD I got in a mag that I will copy and send you.

Look carefully at that front sprocket cover and the wiring on the left, perilously close to being pinched I think. Tuck it back safely somehow.

Have a look at engine mounts and other bushes where you can, also check what you feel able to of alignment of wheels and spring mounts. Just use common-sense mate, look at tyre wear patterns for problems that may be indicated. Vibrations can be from many things unfortunately but if the engine is running and not labouring, the chain and drive alignment is straight, engine mounts are solid and wheels aren't offline, it should even out. Wiggle the wheels to see if bearings and hubs are OK. Check spokes too. Sorry, but not all too hard. You will get there, as I always say, if I can, anyone can!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #4 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Oh now Mr.Jape is an expert on sprockets, maintenance and talking to female bots?
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #5 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    56 Tooth rear is GIANT, take hugemoth's advice and look for a 42 or 45. The question will be weather or not you can actually get one...it's so hard to find different size sprockets for Chinese bikes unless you take your old one to a market and try to match it up. 9000 kilometers on a stock 428 chain = garbage bin. Be sure to change all the parts together, for what they cost, it's not worth taking the chance. Get a couple extra master links to take with you, could save the day.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #6 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Not an expert, I always make that clear, just trying to be helpful and share the limited experience I do have and pass on what I have read here. If you know better or different or know of information here or elsewhere, please pass it on Barnone. It all helps and people can ignore what they already know, but also one may notice something like that wire that they may have missed. Its not just me being a

Seriously, and not necessarily as you intended, if you or anyone does find me a pain, or any other member (there are always differences of personality on international forums) you can go to their profile and click the ignore button! I never use it, as I am quite thick-skinned and know many of my own faults. You don't get body language on forums and you can miss subtle or even not so subtle variations in humour and style. You can also use PM if you are not sure or if you want an argument in private. I have made some good mates like that over the years once the air is cleared!

I also notice that some posts asking for help or introducing folk get lost at slower times and that some folk miss out on help and welcome. Forum members come and go and the real experts are often away or busy. I have plenty of time free because I am disabled a lot of the time so stuck in front of this infernal machine for contact and information. Thus sometimes I try and add to the conversation or lead people to search further into the masses of info here for themselves.

But I do get out there sometimes and ride about and play with the bike when I can move OK as a n umber of my threads will illustrate. When I was younger I rode all sorts of machines all over the place and I remember some of that stuff too. I miss it badly, the machines, the people and places.

I find the internet amazing, it takes me to a wonderful world where I can share the experiences and viewpoint of others and maybe add my own. Not just motrobikes, I do have some other interests!

When it comes to 'bots', I am privileged to quietly be a moderator here when CC and others are busy (and in other time zones) and sometimes I notice or get a message from members reporting a bot or possible bot to be removed as they can lead to phishing and other dangerous sites. We aren't always right so sometimes we let them sit a while and see, like the post you refer to. Soem folk don't say much, don't mean they are bots but they do have some patterns you notice, one of which is the style of post, however that can also be language or shyness.

Being male and unmarried I often chat to females, you never know ... female bots, well there have been a few that some of us chatted to here and there. Embarrassing but fun. It may not have been felix but for some reason I enjoy pulling his leg. Must be his cheeky smile? He will tell me if I piss him off, I am sure, and maybe to my face when I finally get to China.
    Otherwise he and others I chat to on and off forum will get a beer or two.
    Last edited by jape; 01-09-2011 at 02:39 AM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

7. #7 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Shop locally or online
    46T http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4032296945
    42T http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6117800780
    Chain: Just stick to KMC's product if u can't find genuine D.I.D

8. #8 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    jape, the pinched gear indicator cable is already replaced. The dealer took it off another brand new bike from the shop, same for the battery and the front sprocket clip. Those are older photos, so it's probably worth changing now.
    Here's an exploded diagram of the rear sprocket assembley. I don't see any alignment washers anywhere. Maybe not shown.

NO. DESCRIPTION QTY
    1 Chain lever adjuster 1
    2 Rear wheel axle 1
    3 Chain bar adjuster, R 1
    4 Bracket, sub-cylinder, rear brake 1
    5 Bolt10×3+M8×22 4
    6 Rear brake plate 1
    7 Shoe, rear wheel 1
    8 Inner tube, rear wheel 1
    9 Flap, rear wheel 1
    10 Rear wheel rim assy 1
    11 R·chain wheel 1
    12 Washer12 4
    13 BoltM12×1.75×40 4
    14 Clip spring 58 1
    15 Bush 1
    16 Chain bar adjuster, L 1
    17 NutM14×1.5 1
    18 NutM12×1.25 1
    19 Front wheel bush, L 1
    20 Speed counter 1
    21 Front wheel rim assy 1
    22 Flap, front wheel 1
    23 Inner tube, front wheel 1
    24 Shoe, front wheel 1
    25 Front brake plate 1
    26 BlotM8×20 4
    27 Front wheel bush, R 1
    28 Front wheel axle 1

How do you know a rear sprocket is a good match? Anything other than the number of bolts, and chain size? I'd like to know if the sprocket matches before I take it off.
    What's a good brand for an O-ring chain?

9. #9 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Looks like yours bolts straight on without the alignment bushes in the hub that mine has. Replace bolts with better quality ones maybe. I would go with Humanbeing on sprockets and chain, he knows more than me by a long way. Those links both Google translate to "JH125L cabbage" so I think that means yours will take JH125L cabbage dirt-bike sprockets ...

Dunno if the extra width of 520 sprockets all through and chain would mean you have to change the chain guide and other things for clearance so unless the other Shineray guys in posts here say you can change, stick to 428? Suggest a search and another good read! Check the triple tree as they can break .... get yourself a brandy and read all about it.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...rch-quot/page2
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326759
    Last edited by jape; 01-09-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #10 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Dunno if the extra width of 520 sprockets all through and chain would mean you have to change the chain guide and other things for clearance so unless the other Shineray guys in posts here say you can change, stick to 428? Suggest a search and another good read! And a brandy.
    Jialing JH125L is legal copy of 8*"(???) XL125S. That's the commonest GY bike config . If u are unsure, ask Qs... to those TB shops.
    You can compare urs in JT sprocket's catalog 1st.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 01-09-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast