Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    428 drive components are kind of nice to have in China, as you can always find a shop with 428, 520 is a bit less common. 428 is also lighter, so it's like getting an extra 10 horsepower...well, not really, but every little bit helps.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #12 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Hey jape,
    Sorry if I offended you with my lame attempt to be funny. After all your claiming to be an inept mechanic I couldn't resist.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #13 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    You didn't! Not at all mate, I am an inept mechanic, pretty inept at most things I do. Born and bred, a lazy, good-for-nothing dreamer.

I just decided to reply fully in case I had pissed you off like I did one bloke from Florida recently, using the post in explaining a few general things about forum as well. I am trying to be a nicer, more responsible human being as I get older and as we all get closer to judgement day in 2012. It is easy to misunderstand on forums and on a bad day that leads to misunderstanding. I enjoy your posts and watch for them here and elsewhere.

I used to be scared of you, thinking 'Barnone' was an italian mafiosi name, and my ex-wife and a girlfriend were connected - then I read it came from Barn One down on the farm and decided to treat you like everyone else.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #14 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Hey jape,
    It's Mr. Bar None and I am Italian.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #15 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I tried to figure out detail dimensions, but there was no way to find inner diameter without taking off the sproket. Went to the parts market this afternoon, after an hour's search I found a shop that promised they had a match, but first I had to take off the sproket. Found a repair shop near by and after a bit of Kunming lazy stares, started the job.
    -1C today in Kunming
    Now I know that because mechanics in China don't have a jack, everytime you go to a mechanic, you must buy a new kickstand! they tip over standing on the kickstand, and then silde the mik lcarton under.

Took 5 hands to be able to take the wheel off. I't doesn't look very difficult but i but I don't have enough hands or tools. Here's what the stock sprocket looks like:

Couldn't find a replacement: too small, or same gaint size, or recessed, or wrong bolt size.
    Measurements below(flat both sides, no grove or dish, thickness 12.3):

I'll email jtsprockets tomorrow for an equivelant and try to buy it locally on Taobao.
    Edit: JTSPROCKETS replied saying they don't know much about Chinese bikes, given the dimensions I sent them, they gave me http://www.jtsprockets.com/61.0.html...rtnr=JTR810.50
    Close enough but different size bolt holes. Hope they can find me a better match.
    Regards,
    Naim
    Last edited by slabo; 01-15-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: writing is re-writing.

6. #16 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    I found a shop that promised they had a match
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    ....Couldn't find a replacement
    Classic. Sigh.....

7. #17 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    That was very adventurous! Glad it went back on again, you don't mention the pain of that so you are either being stoic or it was OK!
    I hope you feel it was worthwhile, even though you didn't get the sprocket first time.

Sounds to me that you are now understanding why people have two bikes and gather lots of tools ...
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #18 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Finally, got someone to help me out taobao'ing .. gave up on the local shops.. Since the wheel and sprocket are coming off, I might as well change the bearings. Any specific recommendations for the bearings?
    How do you figure out what type of bearing to buy, other than relying on the goodwill of Taobao sellers?

1 链条调节杆 Chain lever adjuster
    2 后轮轴 Rear wheel axle
    3 右链条调节器 Chain bar adjuster, R
    4 后制动分泵支架 Bracket, sub-cylinder, rear brake
    5 内六角螺栓10×3+M8×22 Bolt10×3+M8×22
    6 后制动盘 Rear brake plate
    7 后轮外胎 Shoe, rear wheel
    8 后轮内胎 Inner tube, rear wheel
    9 后轮垫带 Flap, rear wheel
    10 后轮辋组合 Rear wheel rim assy
    11 链轮 R·chain wheel
    12 弹垫12 Washer12
    13 螺栓M12×1.75×40 BoltM12×1.75×40
    14 卡簧58 Clip spring 58
    15 后轮左衬套 Bush
    16 左链条调节器 Chain bar adjuster, L
    17 螺母M14×1.5 NutM14×1.5
    18 螺母M12×1.25 NutM12×1.25
    19 前轮左衬套 Front wheel bush, L
    20 前轮计速器部件 Speed counter
    21 前轮辋组合 Front wheel rim assy
    22 前轮垫带 Flap, front wheel
    23 前轮内胎 Inner tube, front wheel
    24 前轮外胎 Shoe, front wheel
    25 前制动盘 Front brake plate
    26 螺栓M8×20 BlotM8×20
    27 前轮右衬套 Front wheel bush, R
    28 前轮轴 Front wheel axle

How to replace a bearing:

Looks a bit delicate, i'll make sure to be careful when the wrench monkeys start this job.
    Haven't done this yet, but here's how to check if the bearing is shot:

STEP 1. Place the bike on a stand and check the wheels spin freely. For the rear wheel if the chain is tensioned and lubricated correctly, and the sprockets aren't worn in any way, using one hand to rest on the swingarm all there should be is a smooth rumble of chain over the sprocket teeth.

STEP 2. Grasp the top and bottom of the tyre from the side and try to rock the wheel backwards and forwards. Don't forget the bike should be steady on the stand and not moving around so if need be someone should hold it steady. Turn the wheel 90 degrees and do the same again and repeat until a full revolution.

STEP 3. What you are looking for is play in the bearings and this will be felt as a slight movement of the wheel or large movement if the bearings are seriously beyond use. There will maybe even be a clunking noise. You should check the wheel spindle isn't incorrectly tightened as this may lead to similar problems, but if it is okay it indicates one or more of the bearings is worn. As a rule of good practice it is sensible to replace all the bearings.

I'll just change them anyhow.
    Last edited by slabo; 01-16-2011 at 05:30 PM.

9. #19 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Nice video, Slabo. I like this guy's relatively sloppy DIY approach, and how he doesn't use surgical gloves with the grease.

But what makes me think that in all of China there is not a single mechanic (outside of a flash BMW or H-D shop) who has ever seen or even heard of a Tusk bearing remover or a slide hammer, much less possesses them? I'd love to be informed otherwise, but my guess is that the standard approach to bearing removal employs the Chinese national tool -- the hammer -- and maybe a blunt screwdriver pulled from under the mountain of dirty parts and tools and other detritus on the shop floor....

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: Sprockets and chain for my Shineray XY200GY-7, the vibrator 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Updates:: My girlfriend checked with a few taobao sellers, the few that advertise they're Shineray dealers, none had a sprocket that matches. So I went back to the parts market. I remembered seeing all sorts of dirt bikes. I thought they must be getting parts somewhere, maybe I just need to look more..
    I stopped by this shop, as the laoban was not there last time I came.

I pointed to the sprocket and asked if I could find a smaller one.

Ahh, but you can't put too small. What do you want to use? ... 46? ... No, 46 too small, yes your choices are 46, 47, 48, 50, 52... you should use a 50
    After some one sided arguement where I just repeat the few words I know to say, and they reply something in Chinese.. they agree that we should try anything. I show the diagram of the measurements I took last time I took the damn thing off..
    Hmm, bla bla bla.. One of the helpers offers to join foreign monkey in search of the one, or many.. They look at the bike, argue something and give me a possible match. This goes on for sometime, and everytime I check with my trusty vernier caliper.. wrong wrong wrong..
    I go back to the shop, laoban not there.. Now that I've seen how a wheel is taken off, I decide to take things into my own hands. I grab some tools, and a little while later, the wheel is off! Took the bolts off and as I'm struggling trying to take off the lockring, laoban shoes up. Off with the sprocket, back to the shops.. It turns out that the closest match is this:

That's the exact same one Humanbeing linked to in post #7 earlier in this thread. Only difference is it now costs 45, instead of 24rmb. Fine.
    So no matching sprocket. And we have to machine this one to make it fit. Not too comfortable with the idea, but ok, I've exhausted all other possibilities now. a bit of this ::

and 30rmb later, I get::

Final result::

Now almost 6pm and I start hunting for a chain... Couldn't find a Chinese O-ring chain, so I got a KMC chain as Humanbeing advised. On my bike, the stock chain is a KMC O-ring (X, Y or one the varieties... now I've learned to tell by looking at it sideways.)

I was offered a D.I.D Oring, but I don't want to pay triple the price what I would normally pay out of China.
    All in all, I don't really blame anyone at the market. They really went out of their way to help me, given my hopeless case. All the bikes I've seen there, none have a sprocket similar to mine. Maybe Shineray chose to make their own cheaper design? I mean if you compare it to others, it looks like a lot less machining time is put into it.
    Here's the original sprocket::
    Last edited by slabo; 11-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast