Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: HID kit?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 HID kit? 
    I've heard there's an HID kit available for the 200 dual sports in China.

Have any of you guys over there ever seen one?

I'd like to replace the crappy stock lighting on my GY-5. I bought a 45 watt bulb, but I'd like even more light.
    Owned:1983 Kawasaki KZ750 , 1984 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special, 1983 Honda Silverwing GL650 Interstate, 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD, 1982 Honda Silverwing GL500
    Own:1978 Honda CB550K, 2007 Lifan GY-5 200

C-Moto Not-so-Noob Just Charlie's Avatar
    I have one, they are available. The stock headlamp on my dual sport was dangerously dim for anything >40kmph, but the HID headlamp is ridiculously bright.

Where and how did you buy it?

What's it's brand name? 'Cuz maybe I could find it on ebay that way..

Any idea of how I could get one to Canada?

Is it just a bulb, or did you replace the whole headlight?
    Owned:1983 Kawasaki KZ750 , 1984 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special, 1983 Honda Silverwing GL650 Interstate, 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD, 1982 Honda Silverwing GL500

You should be able to pick one up on ebay pretty cheap. The only thing you have to realize is the lights are not transportation Canada certified and could make it difficult for you to inspect your bike in the future.

They come as a kit with a relay, ballast and bulb. They take some work installing but it is pretty straight forward. I also put on on my bike and the hardest part of the install was finding a place to hide the ballast.

Actually all and any modifications to head lights on motorcycles and cars that are not transport Canada certified are 100% illegal in Canada and can cause you some trouble if the cops are in a bad mood. If you do decide to do it make sure you keep the stock light so it can be changed if and when an inspection is needed.

Mike

There is no safety inspection in New Brunswick for motorcycles, but as for roadside checks,well....They'd have to be digging to get at the bulb, although of course there's nothing saying that would stop them...

Quote Originally Posted by Kawazacky View Post
    There is no safety inspection in New Brunswick for motorcycles, but as for roadside checks,well....They'd have to be digging to get at the bulb, although of course there's nothing saying that would stop them...

Then I say go for it. It is a really easy install and will provide piece of mind and safety. I don't know why thefactories don't just put them on the bikes when the roll off the lines. Those little bulbs the bikes come with do absolutly nothing to help a rider see.

hi guys,

could anyone who has installed an hid kit provide some specifics and some pictures? maybe some installation tips for people who have never undertaken a lighting upgrade?

somewhere down the road, when the days get shorter again i will be looking to install a set. for me i want to leave the main headlight functional but would like some focused lights that can be toggled on and off.

here is a good no nonsense article about optimal lighting. it is recomended to use a 6000k bulb. explaining that anything more powerfull actually becomes less effective at producing light.

http://www.hidfoglight.com/customerS.../why6000k.html

That's a great question. I know BeemerBoy on ADV has installed an HID kit on the QingQiGY200 and it should work fine on the XP/XF but I think he had a local shop in Chengdu install them. Then he put a round DR200 lamp on it and said that thing really lights up the road!

I hope re reposts that info here as well as the mods he's made to his QingQi because he's probably got the most customize QingQi around.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    My Qingqi QM200GY has a halogen 35w bulb, but it's the same pattern as normal car 55w ones. I've yet to try changing it for fear that the heat generated will damage the reflector or plastic lens... I hope the generator can cope with the extra load as at the moment switching the lights on at tickover causes the engine speed to drop apreciably.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

You know, I went to the 35W halogen bulb, and could never be happier. I am required to ride down 2 miles of dirt road with Elk, Deer, Antelope, Jack Rabbits, Coyotes, as well as many other large animals, and never once with the Halogen bulb have I not been able to see them before the saw me.

The difference between the two bulbs was like night and day. No pun intended of course. You might want to try it before you drop good money down on something that might get you pulled off the road one night.
    What the h@!! is an Aluminum Falcon?
    I dont travel to go dirt riding, I dirt ride everytime I travel!!
    http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/USMC-Mustang/

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast