Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: HID kit?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm confused.

I installed a 45-watt Bosch bulb I bought from the local HD dealership.

Would a halogen be somehow brighter? Because I am not happy with the light from my 45 watt bulb.
    Owned:1983 Kawasaki KZ750 , 1984 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special, 1983 Honda Silverwing GL650 Interstate, 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD, 1982 Honda Silverwing GL500
    Own:1978 Honda CB550K, 2007 Lifan GY-5 200

You should buy an HID kit from ebay. I'm not sure of the cost, but they are niversl. All you have to do is follow the wiring diragram. a 45W bulb might burn out your stator and a hallogen bulb might do the same thing. Most of the HID kits only draw 25W which should be about the same as the draw of your stock bulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kawazacky View Post
    I'm confused.

I installed a 45-watt Bosch bulb I bought from the local HD dealership.

Would a halogen be somehow brighter? Because I am not happy with the light from my 45 watt bulb.

35w Halogen would be about 1.5x brighter than a 45w incandecent bulb. It is the efficiency of the filament operating in Halogen gas. Just look at how bright a 15W Halogen bulb in a house is vs a 40W incadecent. Just walk into Home Depot or Lowes, and look at the difference. You can feel the energy in the form of heat coming off the light. Dont worry, I havent seen a China bike yet with a plastic lense, they have all been glass.

Stay away from the 45W bulbs, they use more power, but dont create much more Lumens. Unless you have LED Markers and Turns, you will likely burn up the stator in a short time. Way to much of a power draw!!

I too thought about the HID. The two issue I was concerned with was the fact that they draw well over 15 amps at start up, and some of the cheaper "overseas" units can draw up to 25. I purchased a 9004 kit for my Saab 9000, and have measured over 20 amps each on start up. Infact I burnt my last DVOM up, as it was rated to 10A cont, 15A int. This is alot of power to pull on a battery that can range from 8-15 amps total. The other issue is that many do not have diffusers in them. Instead of placing a light down on the road like a spotlight they flood the area with light, like a flood light. Most automobile headlamps have diffusers cut into the light, were the BA20D uses a small diffuser over the fillament. Any oncoming officer of the Law here in the states will stop you and write you a ticket for blinding him.
    What the h@!! is an Aluminum Falcon?
    I dont travel to go dirt riding, I dirt ride everytime I travel!!
    http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/USMC-Mustang/

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Re: the stator burning out -

I can't agree or disagree with you on that, but I will say this. Lots of people have ASSUMED the bikes don't put enough power out for bigger bulbs, but there's a Kiwi on the CR site that has a 130/90 bulb in his bike, or so he claims. Other people have said they have 65 watt bulbs.....so I don't know. Obviously I'm not 100% sure that they won't damage my stator, because I still haven''t tried putting that much wattage on there yet, and I doubt I will....

It'd be nice if someone could actually measure the power output and see what these bikes give.
    Owned:1983 Kawasaki KZ750 , 1984 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special, 1983 Honda Silverwing GL650 Interstate, 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD, 1982 Honda Silverwing GL500
    Own:1978 Honda CB550K, 2007 Lifan GY-5 200

Quote Originally Posted by USMC-Mustang View Post
    35w Halogen would be about 1.5x brighter than a 45w incandecent bulb. It is the efficiency of the filament operating in Halogen gas. Just look at how bright a 15W Halogen bulb in a house is vs a 40W incadecent. Just walk into Home Depot or Lowes, and look at the difference. You can feel the energy in the form of heat coming off the light. Dont worry, I havent seen a China bike yet with a plastic lense, they have all been glass.

Stay away from the 45W bulbs, they use more power, but dont create much more Lumens. Unless you have LED Markers and Turns, you will likely burn up the stator in a short time. Way to much of a power draw!!

I too thought about the HID. The two issue I was concerned with was the fact that they draw well over 15 amps at start up, and some of the cheaper "overseas" units can draw up to 25. I purchased a 9004 kit for my Saab 9000, and have measured over 20 amps each on start up. Infact I burnt my last DVOM up, as it was rated to 10A cont, 15A int. This is alot of power to pull on a battery that can range from 8-15 amps total. The other issue is that many do not have diffusers in them. Instead of placing a light down on the road like a spotlight they flood the area with light, like a flood light. Most automobile headlamps have diffusers cut into the light, were the BA20D uses a small diffuser over the fillament. Any oncoming officer of the Law here in the states will stop you and write you a ticket for blinding him.
    USMC-Mustang,

i would have to say that anyone living in the mojave desert, or near abouts, recommending lighting has me convinced!!! it sounds like a perfect fit for my bike. that will be my choice.

i want the biggest bang for the buck with the least amount of stress on my stock parts.

i am going with a 35 watt front bulb and will go to the led rear tail/break light. my buddy has that and said it is much brighter than stock and should save some energy draw from the stator and battery.

on my bike both the headlight and taillight are on if the bike is on. no switches to turn them off.

Well you must have confused with Culcune when it comes to the desert. Culcune likes it, and he keeps missing the bus to Seligman. We live up in them there mountains above 1 mile elevation with pine trees and wild man eating Elk. Still trying to catch the one for culcune, figured I would strap some funky chinese decals, some foot pegs and see how long culcune could ride it till that one breaks too.

Anyways.... Love the 35w Ba20D halogen. Works great. That and the 1157 and 194 leds, I look like a christmas light on two wheels..

Still trying to pawn off those 9004 HID, but cant find anyone I dont like that much. Oh yeah just remembered Culcune got some bulbs that will fit that Caddy of yours..

I have a bad feeling if I can ever get him to come up here to go riding he is going to park that thing in my yard and leave it. He already made the comment he wanted to load it on my trailer when I picked up the jetmoto..
    What the h@!! is an Aluminum Falcon?
    I dont travel to go dirt riding, I dirt ride everytime I travel!!
    http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/USMC-Mustang/

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

wherever you live its sounds like you have thought it through and its getting time for me to get some more light now that it is dark when i leave for werk in the morning.

One of the best changes you can make to your bike to support more wattage is run a heavier gauge power line straight from you battery to the bulb, switched by a relay (which is of course switched from the light controls).

Some riders claim that by keeping the stock bulb and only replacing/upgrading the stock wiring gives them a noticibly stronger light. Even if it doesn't you'll be able to support a higher wattage bulb w/o going HID.

My .02,
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

very interesting. i am really getting serious about doing something now. the stock light is pretty bad unless i have the high beam on.

i am also considering an led headlight. looks like they are not too popular yet. but it seems it would draw less energy.

here is one for a suzuki gsx r600.....

http://www.extremestyling.com/SUZUKI...source=froogle

Yo I don't think most LED lights are designed for headlamp usage. I think you'd get more candles out of an HID set up which you can get for under 100bucks.

Be sure you're looking for a High/Low-beam unit which uses a HID main and also has a halogen high-beam. From what I understand, with the HID you almost never use the Halogen.

The days are getting shorter and I know you like "spirited" riding, so getting some decent lumens might be good fur safety.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast