Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Good time to say thanks to KrazyKarl and our other admins 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Jape,

Interesting, and certainly not off topic since I launched the thread to thank the administrator and moderators for their fine efforts to keep this forum healthy.

It's certainly a legitimate concern.

At the turn of the year, the founder and administrator of my awesome hometown motorcycling forum, North Bay Sport Riders, pulled the plug on the site after 8 years and a quarter million posts by 900+ members, saying it had grown to be far too much work and had long since drifted from its founding intentions. The straw that broke the camel's back was a thread on whether we Californians should be allowed to carry concealed weapons, and it got really ugly -- a big pissup about handguns in a motorcycle forum! Typical, but inexcusable anyway. I hated to see NBSR go, but i completely understood his logic and decision. "I make a nice forum and allow you all in, and you start pissing and shitting on my carpet, leaving me with the reputation for hosting a crappy forum. Go find somewhere else to defecate."

So this MCM forum is all the more important to me now. Let's all do our best to keep it legit and safe and, to the greatest extent possible, focused on our affection for Chinabikes and for riding in China.

Thank again!
    Jeff
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: Good time to say thanks to KrazyKarl and our other admins 
    Yes, you are correct in all you say. Forums are strange things, we make friends, and sometimes enemies, and no-one has any real idea how to handle it all because such social networking, especially with the amazing worldwide access, is so new. I have gained a LOT of help and even friendship over recent years from forums and as I am stuck in the bloody house more and more I use them for a fair bit of contact.

It has even helped me moderate my own behaviour! As an early user of forums since the old days of Bulletin boards I have been banned here and there before because sometimes it is too tempting to project personality into posts. But we all learn and it seems even I am growing up a bit, not perfect by a long way but getting there! And while we are at the complimentary stuff, as a reasonably new moderator and certainly as a busy participant, the help, assistance and even sharing and caring by members always pleases me to a be part of. You lot rock! We rock! The human race has good points too it seems and we find them here. A diverse bunch, some noticeably insane or close to it (I mean me) but always interesting. I like this forum because CC has allowed a fair bit of latitude, a mature attitude from him that teaches us all not to abuse it. Much. lol.

What a shame that website got stuffed, I have seen some very nasty flame wars and good forums ruined or hardly used any more. Even more important then that we protect this one. Just one stuck or worried motorcyclist helped out makes it worth while, motorbikes aren't just toys, they are transport and a real investment, some have to rely on the damn things too and he information we see passed on is valuable.

Thanks for this thread Jeff, not just an excuse for me to ramble on, a good and timely reminder of what we would lose if it was not here!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #13 Re: Good time to say thanks to KrazyKarl and our other admins 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

At the turn of the year, the founder and administrator of my awesome hometown motorcycling forum, North Bay Sport Riders, pulled the plug on the site after 8 years and a quarter million posts by 900+ members, saying it had grown to be far too much work and had long since drifted from its founding intentions. The straw that broke the camel's back was a thread on whether we Californians should be allowed to carry concealed weapons, and it got really ugly -- a big pissup about handguns in a motorcycle forum
    I remember the thread...and that girl who started it!

4. #14 Re: Good time to say thanks to KrazyKarl and our other admins 
    Thanks guys for the great forum! I hope to meet some of you one of these days and treat you to some beer!

5. #15 Re: Good time to say thanks to KrazyKarl and our other admins 
    Hey fellas,

ChinaV and Jape are doing a lot of muscle work around here keeping things going and they realy deserve much of the credit for keeping this place running so well. I will be updating the software soon to hopefully stop the stupid amount of bots and such we seem to be getting recently.

Sorry I've been out of the scene for a while but I try to kick in when I can. Things are off the hook over here... and in a good way!

The real question is, what's the next step for MCM?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12