Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Tired of seeing my last thread at the top so I am writing another one 
    Hey Guys,

sorry I have been away riding a Chang from Xiamen to Sanya(more on that in the ride report later).

Chinabiker, thanks for the input. The 12volt pump in question is used as an eternal self contained fuel transfer pump. Its flow is reversible and its on the low volume type.(overflows would require real effort). I will skip the insulation on the tank, not really necessary as even the main tank does not have it.... or any of my bikes main tanks. The tank will be filled and emptied regularly with normal use and I will certainly apply an gas tank treatment to insure that the aluminum tank does not have problems. I think I will give Jimbo a ring and see what he can build for me (FYI JIMBO i AM CALLING SOON!) Have not given much thought to how to get the fuel into the main tank yet but I am sure i can formulate a plan after starring at the bike for awhile. The main tank on the Jailing i believe has the same basic overflow protection that most bikes have which is the the hole on a lip near the mouth of the tank and an attached hose that allows the excess fuel incurred during refueling to leak out via the tube and down below the bike and not up and out the mouth. Simply monitoring of the refuel is need to avoid this problem. The fuel pump is "dry pump" it does not require the fuel to act as a coolant, so I have no fear of a dry pump creating a fire hazard. In addition I will also be adding a external 3 point switch to control the pump and a 2 color LED to indicate the pump is active and in which direction.

Since this tank would be permanent, i think it would be cool to salvage a fuel fill from a car including the fuel cap and door to make a completely factory look for refueling the sidecar tank. The hope is that gas stations across China would not make a fuss over refilling the aux. tank.

2. #12 Re: Tired of seeing my last thread at the top so I am writing another one 
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    Hey Guys,

sorry I have been away riding a Chang from Xiamen to Sanya(more on that in the ride report later).

Chinabiker, thanks for the input. The 12volt pump in question is used as an eternal self contained fuel transfer pump. Its flow is reversible and its on the low volume type.(overflows would require real effort). I will skip the insulation on the tank, not really necessary as even the main tank does not have it.... or any of my bikes main tanks. The tank will be filled and emptied regularly with normal use and I will certainly apply an gas tank treatment to insure that the aluminum tank does not have problems. I think I will give Jimbo a ring and see what he can build for me (FYI JIMBO i AM CALLING SOON!) Have not given much thought to how to get the fuel into the main tank yet but I am sure i can formulate a plan after starring at the bike for awhile. The main tank on the Jailing i believe has the same basic overflow protection that most bikes have which is the the hole on a lip near the mouth of the tank and an attached hose that allows the excess fuel incurred during refueling to leak out via the tube and down below the bike and not up and out the mouth. Simply monitoring of the refuel is need to avoid this problem. The fuel pump is "dry pump" it does not require the fuel to act as a coolant, so I have no fear of a dry pump creating a fire hazard. In addition I will also be adding a external 3 point switch to control the pump and a 2 color LED to indicate the pump is active and in which direction.

Since this tank would be permanent, i think it would be cool to salvage a fuel fill from a car including the fuel cap and door to make a completely factory look for refueling the sidecar tank. The hope is that gas stations across China would not make a fuss over refilling the aux. tank.
    Two way operation will require double dry run and overfill protection.
    When you let the pump feeding fuel from the aux to the main, it will suck the liquid from the bottom of the aux tank and deliver it to the top of the main. How would you do this in reverse direction?

If you feed from and supply to the bottom of both tanks, the aux, which is probably lower, would be filled against the will of the pump, hence with overfill protection by-passed. Also one way valves can't be used in this case.

You need to modify your original tank on two positions
    Where would be your pump located.

Better get a motorbike tank inlet stud. These are way more sophisticated than car ones.
    Generally, wouldn't be this one the easy solution

Andy

3. #13 Re: Tired of seeing my last thread at the top so I am writing another one 
    Well interesting questions.... the Jerry can is of course easier but as I said a like to build cool stuff.... I am going to test the pump tonight by building a mock up of the design. built in scale with the bike. So a 19ltr or more tank about 1/2 meter up and 2 meters away(compensating for actual fuel hose routing) and a 10ltr lower tank both with bottom fill and suction. The pump should still be able to move the fuel of in the test case water(water is heavier).... good food for thought.... I might just just pump the fuel to the top of the main tank via one line and a second line allow gravity to care fuel in the other direction. So thats pump aux to top of main and gravity bottom of Main to Aux.

another problem found is that I will need to protect the fuel line that pass between the sidecar and the motorcycle from the abuses of the outside world... I guess protective. pipe work or something must be made up as well.

Then again the possibility of a permanent tank with none permanent fuel lines is possible. Simply mount the pump and cut the fuel lines as needed and when needed place them into the tanks through the top openings and manually adjust the height for either direction of transfer by sliding less or more fuel line into the respective tanks. Doing it this way simplifies the build but complicates the actual use. I would also then not need the LEDs or the heavy pipe work for protection......

Huummmm.... where did I put that old Jerry Can

4. #14 Re: Tired of seeing my last thread at the top so I am writing another one 
    Fingers,
    I gotta go with chinabiker with something like this:

or this:

Throw a couple in the boot.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #15 Re: Tired of seeing my last thread at the top so I am writing another one 
    another problem found is that I will need to protect the fuel line that pass between the sidecar and the motorcycle from the abuses of the outside world... I guess protective. pipe work or something must be made up as well.

Then again the possibility of a permanent tank with none permanent fuel lines is possible. Simply mount the pump and cut the fuel lines as needed and when needed place them into the tanks through the top openings and manually adjust the height for either direction of transfer by sliding less or more fuel line into the respective tanks. Doing it this way simplifies the build but complicates the actual use. I would also then not need the LEDs or the heavy pipe work for protection......

Huummmm.... where did I put that old Jerry Can
    why do you make such a big effort to burn down your bike? a simple lighter is also doing a fine job.
    maybe the admin should move this thread to "Comedy"

6. #16 Re: Tired of seeing my last thread at the top so I am writing another one 
    No, no, we wouldn't dream of that! In fact we encourage exploration and experimentation - and the wearing of helmet cams at all times, so our members can all share the fun if/when disasters happen!

Perhaps a variation on this idea using small fuel containers would do the job? You could always get your passenger to wear it in the interest of driver safety!
    beer-hat.jpg
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

7. #17 Re: Tired of seeing my last thread at the top so I am writing another one 
    .... the Jerry can is of course easier but as I said a like to build cool stuff....
    Fingers, I like to build cool stuff too perfect cool stuff

I'll contct you for more after CNY
    Andy

8. #18 Re: Tired of seeing my last thread at the top so I am writing another one 
    C-Moto Senior
    This sounds like a project I don't have the skills to fabricate. What I could suggest are the auxiliary gas tanks for BMWs that I see on E-Bay every now and then. They are twin small tanks that fit on the frame of the bike where the battery covers are.
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12