Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 what gas for your bike? 
    I put 97 in my 13 year old 400 XJR. Is that correct or should I use 93?
    Last edited by Brice; 06-04-2008 at 03:38 AM.

You can always try half a tank of 93 and see if it causes any problems but I don't think it will. I used 93 in my Bandit 1200 and didn't have any problems. You should be okay with 93 and might save a few RMB as well.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

I run 97 in my V-Strom when it's available. I have run full tanks of 93 on several occasions and never had a problem, even had a half tank of 90 that didn't seem to bother the bike.

I don't think you will have a problem running 93, more important is getting good gas from some of our "less than reputable" gas stations.

Maybe we should start a thread on what gas people like. I always try to fill up at BP and I avoid Sinopec whenever possible.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

I think nearly all the gas I've bought at stations has been okay but I use 90 in everything and nothing complains.

Worst gas I ever got was in these small villages where they scoop it out of a rusty barrel to sell it to you by the kg. Had some watered down one time. Didn't kill the bike, it just ran funny.

Anyone had serious problems with gas from stations?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Well here in north america we don't often see things like that... I use the expensive stuff considering the small quantity I use, but I don't think I'd have a problem with the cheap stuff...

The 93 Octane should be all you bike needs. 93 is still a pretty high grade fuel and very few vehicles will require 97. If you bike is not running really high compression there should be no need to spend the extra money on the higher octane gas.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I am usually just happy when they have gas! There has been more than once when I pull into a station only to be turned away, and not because I was riding with Supersignet, it can get annoying sometimes...and the gas thing bothers me too. ;)

There is an organized gas shortage (diesel) in China. The Chinese gov subsidized heavily the gas price to keep inflation low and avoid protest. The 2 major petrol companies are not happy with that even if the gov reimburses them. So they deliver less gas to non affiliated petrol stations waiting for the end of the Olympics when prices will be freed...

On the pic, the 2 right lanes are queuing at a service station.
    Attached Images

in the u.s., at least in california (drawing a blank on what is available in other states at the moment) the highest octane available is 93. i was told to run that as it keeps the engine cleaner and it therefore extending the life and keeps its efficiency. was also told i could add octane booster etc or run racing fuel if wanted to.

but the fact that 93 is the highest available here would tell me that it would be fine to run in your bike as well.

is 93 the lowest available in china or is that mid grade?

i stand corrected (by myself!!!). in california we only have 91 octane. i now add an octane booster to most of my fill ups.

i notice the engine runs smoother and quieter.

at my dealership they have 5 gallon buckets of 107 octane sunoco race fuel for around $60.00.